How do you meet protein goal?

Options

Replies

• NicoleS9
    NicoleS9 Posts: 62 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    There is not a cardiologist or nutritionist or the planet who would recommend a high protein diet.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    NicoleS9 wrote: »
    I only found protein goals challenging when pregnant, since the recommendation there is higher- about 70(although some recommend 100 when pregnant) Protein/amino acids are in practically everything these days. You only need about 45 or 46 grams if you aren't pregnant or nursing. That should be pretty simple.
    - quinoa, BEANS, nuts (watch what kind), almond butter,

45g? ...per meal you mean? Orr...?

Also I get more protein at lunch than you do in a day. That's...special.
    1kn7hwjyvz5p.png

Also, OP, look. Protein, super easy (and tasty. And low cal, which leaves room for cupcakes later.)
  • NicoleS9
    edited February 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    I only found protein goals challenging when pregnant, since the recommendation there is higher- about 70(although some recommend 100 when pregnant) Protein/amino acids are in practically everything these days. You only need about 45 or 46 grams if you aren't pregnant or nursing. That should be pretty simple.

40-45g? Maybe per the RDA for sedentary individuals but not for people that exercise/practice resistance training. We need more than the RDA.

If your goal is to really build body muscle, sure, but that's not needed for regular workouts. Sedentary doesn't come into play, as carbohydrates give energy.
    I danced professionally for years - nine hours of performing a week. That doesn't require anyone to up protein goals.

No sorry, your statement is false. And if you are building muscle you need more carbs than protein. Regular weight training even in a deficit you need to have adequate protein in to have a positive nitrogen balance. You have to preserve lbm in a deficit. We need enough for MPS and not just for people building muscle. Protein intake is not about pulling it for energy. Protein is the last resort of energy sources after carbs which is its prefer ed source then fat.

That's what I said. Energy comes from carbohydrates, not protein.

Who said anything about energy for protein before you did? You are arguing a point that no one made.

And what is a regular workout? What is a non regular workout?
    Energy for protein???? What?
    Have you had a bad day? You're a really argumentative person.
    I think at this point he'd just like you to clarify what a "regular workout" vs "non-regular workout" is and how that changes one's protein needs. Mostly because in 75% of your posts in this thread so far you've failed to clarify what this means.

Higher protein is still needed when one is aiming to retain their lean body mass. If you do not have specific goals pertaining to lean body mass then eat however much or little protein you'd like to.

And he clearly meant energy from protein... just a typo...............

Oh my gosh, why are you so concerned about what I think constitutes a regular workout? Who would care what I think it is? Each person's exercise goals are different. Wow. Even if I or anyone was completely wrong, what is the point in arguing some thread on the internet? I've noticed this a lot lately on mfp, but mostly just the nutrition forum.

The point is that even if you are completely wrong, which you are, you are passing off false information to other members and there is no room for that here. So you will be corrected.

You said the whole regular workout stuff and now you're backtracking. It's okay to admit you were read and you bit off more than you can chew in the debate.
    http://www.researchgate.net/publication/257350851_A_Systematic_Review_of_Dietary_Protein_During_Caloric_Restriction_in_Resistance_Trained_Lean_Athletes_A_Case_for_Higher_Intakes

I will be corrected? The OP was asking for suggestions to meet protein goals on MFP. I am not passing off any false information. I'm sorry you have chosen to make dietary decisions based solely on your need for muscle mass and resistance training. Many others are more concerned with their heart, and long term health. If the OP was having difficulty meeting her protein goals, it is possible they simply need to be adjusted. There is a healthy range for protein intake.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

40-45g? Maybe per the RDA for sedentary individuals but not for people that exercise/practice resistance training. We need more than the RDA.

If your goal is to really build body muscle, sure, but that's not needed for regular workouts. Sedentary doesn't come into play, as carbohydrates give energy.
    I danced professionally for years - nine hours of performing a week. That doesn't require anyone to up protein goals.

No sorry, your statement is false. And if you are building muscle you need more carbs than protein. Regular weight training even in a deficit you need to have adequate protein in to have a positive nitrogen balance. You have to preserve lbm in a deficit. We need enough for MPS and not just for people building muscle. Protein intake is not about pulling it for energy. Protein is the last resort of energy sources after carbs which is its prefer ed source then fat.

Who said anything about energy for protein before you did? You are arguing a point that no one made.

I think at this point he'd just like you to clarify what a "regular workout" vs "non-regular workout" is and how that changes one's protein needs. Mostly because in 75% of your posts in this thread so far you've failed to clarify what this means.

Higher protein is still needed when one is aiming to retain their lean body mass. If you do not have specific goals pertaining to lean body mass then eat however much or little protein you'd like to.

Oh my gosh, why are you so concerned about what I think constitutes a regular workout? Who would care what I think it is? Each person's exercise goals are different. Wow. Even if I or anyone was completely wrong, what is the point in arguing some thread on the internet? I've noticed this a lot lately on mfp, but mostly just the nutrition forum.

Well we care(d) about your definition because you are basing your protein recommendations on what you think is and isn't a regular workout. Kind of an important thing.

You are clearly not someone who cares about her body composition regarding body fat %, musculature, and aesthetic appearance, which is fine. But many of us do, and as a result higher protein intake is something we must be aware of.
  • ana3067
    Options
    There is not a cardiologist or nutritionist or the planet who would recommend a high protein diet.

And what is high protein to them/you? 45g is painfully low. IS 80% of one's body weight considered too high? (80%, or 0.8x, one's total weight is often recommended as a starting point for protein intake) Because for me, 125g of protein is easy to eat in a day and I have easily gotten more. I really craved more yesterday so I ate almost 160g. Based on my caloric goals rihgt now (which are normally a bit higher, but I am not exercising this week), that's only 25% of my calories. Which, if I recall correctly, is now MFP's default protein setting. But then again, going by % is pretty much pointless if wanting to monitor macros consistently.
  • ana3067
    Options

The point is that even if you are completely wrong, which you are, you are passing off false information to other members and there is no room for that here. So you will be corrected.

You said the whole regular workout stuff and now you're backtracking. It's okay to admit you were read and you bit off more than you can chew in the debate.
    http://www.researchgate.net/publication/257350851_A_Systematic_Review_of_Dietary_Protein_During_Caloric_Restriction_in_Resistance_Trained_Lean_Athletes_A_Case_for_Higher_Intakes

I will be corrected? The OP was asking for suggestions to meet protein goals on MFP. I am not passing off any false information. I'm sorry you have chosen to make dietary decisions based solely on your need for muscle mass and resistance training. Many others are more concerned with their heart, and long term health. If the OP was having difficulty meeting her protein goals, it is possible they simply need to be adjusted. There is a healthy range for protein intake.

I'm guessing OP's protein goals are more than 45g. If OP had stated 450grams, then yes, providing different recommendations would be sound. But there was really no reason for you to offer up a recommendation so low. I also found it interesting that you completely failed to provide any obvious suggestions for protein like chicken/turkey, red meat, fish, eggs, cheese, greek yogurt, etc. Beans and nuts can provide some protein but the macro ratio is not optimal if one is only trying to bump up protien intake, not caloric intake as well.
  • ana3067
    Options

Eating 100+g of protein is very very very unlikely to have negative effects on health in the way you think it will. Are you assuming healthy range for protein for ALL people, regardless of their activity level and overall goals and biological sex.... is under 50g?

I mean, I just did a quick Google search and here are a few things that popped up:

"Moderate physical activity can increase dietary protein needs

Six healthy men completed three 1-hr bouts of treadmill walk-jogging at low (L; 42 +/- 3.9% VO2max), moderate (M; 55 +/- 5.6%), and high (H; 67 +/- 4.5%) exercise intensity in order to determine whether moderate physical activity affects dietary protein needs. Both sweat rate and sweat urea N loss were greater (p < .10) with increasing exercise intensity. Seventy-two hour postexercise urine urea N excretion was elevated (p < .05) over nonexercise control (26.6 +/- 2.96 g) with both M (31.0 +/- 3.65) and H (33.6 +/- 4.39), but not L (26.3 +/- 1.86), intensities. Total 72-hr postexercise urea N excretion (urine + sweat) for the M and H exercise was greater than control by 4.6 and 7.2 g, respectively. This suggests that 1 hr of moderate exercise increases protein oxidation by about 29-45 g, representing approximately 16-25% of the current North American recommendations for daily protein intake. These data indicate that the type of exercise typically recommended for health/wellness can increase daily protein needs relative either to sedentary individuals or to those who exercise at lower intensities." Note the form of exercise they used.

"There has been debate among athletes and nutritionists regarding dietary protein needs for centuries. Although contrary to traditional belief, recent scientific information collected on physically active individuals tends to indicate that regular exercise increases daily protein requirements; however, the precise details remain to be worked out. Based on laboratory measures, daily protein requirements are increased by perhaps as much as 100% vs. recommendations for sedentary individuals (1.6-1.8 vs. 0.8 g/kg). Yet even these intakes are much less than those reported by most athletes. This may mean that actual requirements are below what is needed to optimize athletic performance, and so the debate continues. Numerous interacting factors including energy intake, carbohydrate availability, exercise intensity, duration and type, dietary protein quality, training history, gender, age, timing of nutrient intake and the like make this topic extremely complex. Many questions remain to be resolved. At the present time, substantial data indicate that the current recommended protein intake should be adjusted upward for those who are physically active, especially in populations whose needs are elevated for other reasons, e.g., growing individuals, dieters, vegetarians, individuals with muscle disease-induced weakness and the elderly. For these latter groups, specific supplementation may be appropriate, but for most North Americans who consume a varied diet, including complete protein foods (meat, eggs, fish and dairy products), and sufficient energy the increased protein needs induced by a regular exercise program can be met in one's diet."
  • ana3067
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Chicken, ground turkey, protein bars, eggs, cheese. I don't know. I think it's easy to eat above 100 grams of protein. I like protein things.

I like all those things to a lot but if I were to eat enough of those things to hit my protein goals, I go over on calories haha.

Unless you are eating more cheese nad eggs than you do poultry, this shouldn't be a problem. I eat cheese usually daily, no issues here :)
  • NicoleS9
    Options

I'm guessing OP's protein goals are more than 45g. If OP had stated 450grams, then yes, providing different recommendations would be sound. But there was really no reason for you to offer up a recommendation so low. I also found it interesting that you completely failed to provide any obvious suggestions for protein like chicken/turkey, red meat, fish, eggs, cheese, greek yogurt, etc. Beans and nuts can provide some protein but the macro ratio is not optimal if one is only trying to bump up protien intake, not caloric intake as well.

It would depend on calorie intake needed, and if the intake is less than 2,000 then what I said might be fine some days. It doesn't have to be exact every day as long as it falls within a healthy range.
    I did not suggest the "obvious" suggestions because they are, as you illustrated, obvious. When most people think of protein the first sources which come to find are the complete amino acids. Everyone k does there is protein in meat, but not everyone knows the best sources of plant based proteins, such as quinoa. Those sources can really help to bump up protein in healthy ways.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Lots of lean meats. Fortunately, I like white chicken, ground turkey, shrimp and pork, which are all low calorie and high protein. Usually if I eat around 9-12 ounces of one of these, I hit my protein goal. If not, there's always eggs and Greek yogurt and the occasional protein shake, which I only use as a last resort since I prefer to get it from food sources.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Chicken, ground turkey, protein bars, eggs, cheese. I don't know. I think it's easy to eat above 100 grams of protein. I like protein things.

I like all those things to a lot but if I were to eat enough of those things to hit my protein goals, I go over on calories haha.

What's your calorie goal and what's your protein goal?
  • ana3067
    Options

It would depend on calorie intake needed, and if the intake is less than 2,000 then what I said might be fine some days. It doesn't have to be exact every day as long as it falls within a healthy range.
    I did not suggest the "obvious" suggestions because they are, as you illustrated, obvious. When most people think of protein the first sources which come to find are the complete amino acids. Everyone k does there is protein in meat, but not everyone knows the best sources of plant based proteins, such as quinoa. Those sources can really help to bump up protein in healthy ways.

Protein goals do not vary depending on caloric intake.

Not everyone knows the best sources of plant-based proteins because the macro ratio in them is shite if your goal is to increase protein without vastly increasing carb intake. Perhaps this is why you do not feel the need or ability to consume more than 45g of protein
  • jokimo
    Options

Protein shakes. It's the only way I can hit my protein target. Liquid egg whites too.
  • ana3067
    Options

Now I get it, your debates come from Forks over knives and all the other mocumentaries. Keep throwing out random numbers, now it's 2000. Lol.

Freelee?
    Bananas contain 1% protein per 100g. GET ON THAT.
  • NicoleS9
    edited February 2015
    Options

Perhaps this is why you do not feel the need or ability to consume more than 45g of protein

No, I actually consume more than that myself, but that number could be perfectly fine for some women.