ana3067 wrote: »
    NicoleS9 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I only found protein goals challenging when pregnant, since the recommendation there is higher- about 70(although some recommend 100 when pregnant) Protein/amino acids are in practically everything these days. You only need about 45 or 46 grams if you aren't pregnant or nursing. That should be pretty simple.
    - quinoa, BEANS, nuts (watch what kind), almond butter,

40-45g? Maybe per the RDA for sedentary individuals but not for people that exercise/practice resistance training. We need more than the RDA.

If your goal is to really build body muscle, sure, but that's not needed for regular workouts. Sedentary doesn't come into play, as carbohydrates give energy.
    I danced professionally for years - nine hours of performing a week. That doesn't require anyone to up protein goals.

No sorry, your statement is false. And if you are building muscle you need more carbs than protein. Regular weight training even in a deficit you need to have adequate protein in to have a positive nitrogen balance. You have to preserve lbm in a deficit. We need enough for MPS and not just for people building muscle. Protein intake is not about pulling it for energy. Protein is the last resort of energy sources after carbs which is its prefer ed source then fat.

That's what I said. Energy comes from carbohydrates, not protein.

Who said anything about energy for protein before you did? You are arguing a point that no one made.

And what is a regular workout? What is a non regular workout?
    Energy for protein???? What?
    Have you had a bad day? You're a really argumentative person.
    I think at this point he'd just like you to clarify what a "regular workout" vs "non-regular workout" is and how that changes one's protein needs. Mostly because in 75% of your posts in this thread so far you've failed to clarify what this means.

Higher protein is still needed when one is aiming to retain their lean body mass. If you do not have specific goals pertaining to lean body mass then eat however much or little protein you'd like to.

And he clearly meant energy from protein... just a typo...............

Oh my gosh, why are you so concerned about what I think constitutes a regular workout? Who would care what I think it is? Each person's exercise goals are different. Wow. Even if I or anyone was completely wrong, what is the point in arguing some thread on the internet? I've noticed this a lot lately on mfp, but mostly just the nutrition forum.

The point is that even if you are completely wrong, which you are, you are passing off false information to other members and there is no room for that here. So you will be corrected.

You said the whole regular workout stuff and now you're backtracking. It's okay to admit you were read and you bit off more than you can chew in the debate.
    http://www.researchgate.net/publication/257350851_A_Systematic_Review_of_Dietary_Protein_During_Caloric_Restriction_in_Resistance_Trained_Lean_Athletes_A_Case_for_Higher_Intakes

I will be corrected? The OP was asking for suggestions to meet protein goals on MFP. I am not passing off any false information. I'm sorry you have chosen to make dietary decisions based solely on your need for muscle mass and resistance training. Many others are more concerned with their heart, and long term health. If the OP was having difficulty meeting her protein goals, it is possible they simply need to be adjusted. There is a healthy range for protein intake.

I'm guessing OP's protein goals are more than 45g. If OP had stated 450grams, then yes, providing different recommendations would be sound. But there was really no reason for you to offer up a recommendation so low. I also found it interesting that you completely failed to provide any obvious suggestions for protein like chicken/turkey, red meat, fish, eggs, cheese, greek yogurt, etc. Beans and nuts can provide some protein but the macro ratio is not optimal if one is only trying to bump up protien intake, not caloric intake as well.

It would depend on calorie intake needed, and if the intake is less than 2,000 then what I said might be fine some days. It doesn't have to be exact every day as long as it falls within a healthy range.
    I did not suggest the "obvious" suggestions because they are, as you illustrated, obvious. When most people think of protein the first sources which come to find are the complete amino acids. Everyone k does there is protein in meat, but not everyone knows the best sources of plant based proteins, such as quinoa. Those sources can really help to bump up protein in healthy ways.

Protein goals do not vary depending on caloric intake.

Not everyone knows the best sources of plant-based proteins because the macro ratio in them is shite if your goal is to increase protein without vastly increasing carb intake. Perhaps this is why you do not feel the need or ability to consume more than 45g of protein

What the huh? You're saying that a petite tiny woman who maintains on 1400 calories should eat the same amount of protein as a sumo wrestler? Really?

I do mine as a percentage. I set mfp to 30% as it gets me really close to the estimate from .8 of my body weight.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I only found protein goals challenging when pregnant, since the recommendation there is higher- about 70(although some recommend 100 when pregnant) Protein/amino acids are in practically everything these days. You only need about 45 or 46 grams if you aren't pregnant or nursing. That should be pretty simple.

40-45g? Maybe per the RDA for sedentary individuals but not for people that exercise/practice resistance training. We need more than the RDA.

If your goal is to really build body muscle, sure, but that's not needed for regular workouts. Sedentary doesn't come into play, as carbohydrates give energy.
    I danced professionally for years - nine hours of performing a week. That doesn't require anyone to up protein goals.

No sorry, your statement is false. And if you are building muscle you need more carbs than protein. Regular weight training even in a deficit you need to have adequate protein in to have a positive nitrogen balance. You have to preserve lbm in a deficit. We need enough for MPS and not just for people building muscle. Protein intake is not about pulling it for energy. Protein is the last resort of energy sources after carbs which is its prefer ed source then fat.

Who said anything about energy for protein before you did? You are arguing a point that no one made.

I think at this point he'd just like you to clarify what a "regular workout" vs "non-regular workout" is and how that changes one's protein needs. Mostly because in 75% of your posts in this thread so far you've failed to clarify what this means.

Higher protein is still needed when one is aiming to retain their lean body mass. If you do not have specific goals pertaining to lean body mass then eat however much or little protein you'd like to.

Oh my gosh, why are you so concerned about what I think constitutes a regular workout? Who would care what I think it is? Each person's exercise goals are different. Wow. Even if I or anyone was completely wrong, what is the point in arguing some thread on the internet? I've noticed this a lot lately on mfp, but mostly just the nutrition forum.

The point is that even if you are completely wrong, which you are, you are passing off false information to other members and there is no room for that here. So you will be corrected.

You said the whole regular workout stuff and now you're backtracking. It's okay to admit you were read and you bit off more than you can chew in the debate.
    http://www.researchgate.net/publication/257350851_A_Systematic_Review_of_Dietary_Protein_During_Caloric_Restriction_in_Resistance_Trained_Lean_Athletes_A_Case_for_Higher_Intakes

I will be corrected? The OP was asking for suggestions to meet protein goals on MFP. I am not passing off any false information. I'm sorry you have chosen to make dietary decisions based solely on your need for muscle mass and resistance training. Many others are more concerned with their heart, and long term health. If the OP was having difficulty meeting her protein goals, it is possible they simply need to be adjusted. There is a healthy range for protein intake.

I'm guessing OP's protein goals are more than 45g. If OP had stated 450grams, then yes, providing different recommendations would be sound. But there was really no reason for you to offer up a recommendation so low. I also found it interesting that you completely failed to provide any obvious suggestions for protein like chicken/turkey, red meat, fish, eggs, cheese, greek yogurt, etc. Beans and nuts can provide some protein but the macro ratio is not optimal if one is only trying to bump up protien intake, not caloric intake as well.

It would depend on calorie intake needed, and if the intake is less than 2,000 then what I said might be fine some days. It doesn't have to be exact every day as long as it falls within a healthy range.
    I did not suggest the "obvious" suggestions because they are, as you illustrated, obvious. When most people think of protein the first sources which come to find are the complete amino acids. Everyone k does there is protein in meat, but not everyone knows the best sources of plant based proteins, such as quinoa. Those sources can really help to bump up protein in healthy ways.

Protein goals do not vary depending on caloric intake.

Not everyone knows the best sources of plant-based proteins because the macro ratio in them is shite if your goal is to increase protein without vastly increasing carb intake. Perhaps this is why you do not feel the need or ability to consume more than 45g of protein

What the huh? You're saying that a petite tiny woman who maintains on 1400 calories should eat the same amount of protein as a sumo wrestler? Really?

I do mine as a percentage. I set mfp to 30% as it gets me really close to the estimate from .8 of my body weight.
    Most of us do not use %, we use g based on LBM or total weight in lbs. So right now I'm at 125g protein based on 160lbs eating 0.8g/lb. Once I'm down to say.. 140, then 110g would be enough. I have been eating 2200 calories at 125g protein. I am eating 2000 calories this week due to not exercising... my goal is still 125g because I still weigh the same.

Hence the goal does not change arbitrarily based on my caloric intake needs. Conversely, if I were bulking right now at say... 2600 calories, I would not start consuming 160g just because.

If an extremely tiny woman maintaining on 1400 calories is say... 90lbs and was weight training/active, then 70g would be more than ennough for her. The sumo wrestler, let's say he's 300lbs, would clearly eat more regardless of his caloric goals because basing macros off of calorie goal doesn't really allow one to actually tailor the intake to their specific overall goals and needs. My needs don't just suddenly change if I increase or decrease my calorie goal throughout the week, much like my goal wouldn't change if I did net and logged/at back exercise calories. My goal tomorrow will still be 125-130 minimum despite having extra exercise calories logged for the party I'm going to.
  • ana3067
    Options

Perhaps this is why you do not feel the need or ability to consume more than 45g of protein

No, I actually consume more than that myself, but that number could be perfectly fine for some women.
    If they are inactive, sure. Or don't care about actively trying to maintain lean body mass (which is mor ethan just muscle, btw. It's also bone density and water... basically anything that isn't fat.)
  • NicoleS9
    NicoleS9 Posts: 62 Member
    Options

Perhaps this is why you do not feel the need or ability to consume more than 45g of protein

No, I actually consume more than that myself, but that number could be perfectly fine for some women.
    If they are inactive, sure. Or don't care about actively trying to maintain lean body mass (which is mor ethan just muscle, btw. It's also bone density and water... basically anything that isn't fat.)

Or going by percentage. Or the recommendations from the American Heart Association.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I mostly eat red meat, broken up with chicken every now and then. Steaks every few days; burger patties - I sometimes make a bunch of small ones on Sunday and eat those for a couple of days, even for snacks. (If you don't have a grill, you can fry them: make them thin, like 2 cm, put the heat on medium to med-high, warm the oil, cook them for five minutes - don't touch them! - flip, cook for another five, set on paper towel.) I use the "lean" ground beef, not extra lean as they'll dry out or taste sucky.

Sometimes, I'll get grilled beef, rice and salad from a local Thai place for dinner.

For chicken, I just buy cooked rotisserie chicken from a store, can't be bothered otherwise (hate skinless; with skin, baked is good but takes more time than I'd like).

Eggs, 1% cottage cheese, 0% or 2% Greek yogurt (plain), ham, proscuitto with the fat removed.

I don't love turkey or fish (unless it's fresh).
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Oh re protein - the purine content in some meats can contribute to gout in vulnerable people.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I recently lowered my daily protein macro to the low end of what the American Heart Association recommends: 10 - 35%. MFP usually assigns 20%. I may go back to MFPs recommendation, but wanted to see how I felt on less. In many countries other than the U.S., people eat far protein than we do.

Although this is not addressing protein needs for exercise, as a general point, the body uses carbs first, then fat and only when those reserves are depleted, does it draw on protein for energy when you are working out. So a protein bar after is probably not as useful as a piece of fruit.
  • ColossusCain
    ColossusCain Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    While everyone continues to argue how much protein you need let me steer this back in the right direction. Lean meats and low fat dairy both help to hit your goals. If you're still falling short consider a blended protein. I say blended because they will have some slow digesting ingredients as well that will leave you feeling full longer. Grenade Hydra6 or Pro Jym are both good for this though Pro Jym is exclusive to Bodybuilding.com. Pretty much pay attention and make every calorie count, if you do this you will end up with a surplus of calories and you'll be well over your protein goals each day
  • KickboxDiva
    KickboxDiva Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Back to OP- I've found if I don't intentionally eat protein sources at every meal I fall really short of my goal. I naturally prefer carbs and fat. Breakfast was my week point so I found a recipe to make homemade low fat turkey sausage patties. Didn't have to worry about the fat or sodium. The whole family liked it and it added a ton of easy grams to my morning. I totally need to prep that this weekend! Add that to these high protein flapjacks (27 grams) and you have a big start to your day. (these actually taste good too)

Eggs - Whole, raw, 1 medium
    Quaker Oats - Oatmeal Uncooked Raw, 0.25 Cup (ground to flour)
    Face - Greek Fat Free Yogurt, 4 oz.
    Egg Beater - Egg Whites 100%, 4.5 tbsp (46g)
    Sugar Free Syrup - Smucker's, 1/4 cup
  • Graceraeg
    Graceraeg Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've bought egg protein powder to make shakes and egg whites to add protein. I also eat 0% fat fage yogurt. It seems like I'm eating too many eggs though. I like meat but sometimes I just get so sick of eating meat. I think my daily goal is 123grams.
    That recipe sounds really good. I also have to make conscious choices at every meal to get enough protein!
  • courtney965
    courtney965 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I eat turkey, chicken, pork, beans, eggs, peanut butter, protein powder etc, I find it easy to meet my protein requirements with these foods
  • ana3067
    Options

There was no typo, she just typed out protein for energy as a response because she had nothing better to say. She's just confused.

Oh, well both can make sense. IDK man I was just getting annoyed so I added that in lol.
  • ana3067
    Options

Or going by percentage. Or the recommendations from the American Heart Association.

Percentages are significantly inferior for all macro goals and the America Heart Association is not providing factual "this is forever true" information. In 10 years from now research may demonstrate that high protein is actually beneficial for multiple things including heart disease, and then AHA will change their recommendations. Or like how fat used to be demonized as being a cause of all things bad and now it's not.

45g of protein is still not adequate for pretty much anyone wanting to enhance their body composition or who wants to actually be sated.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Chicken
    Ground turkey
    Ground beef
    Ground chicken
    Beef jerky
    Steak
    Pork
    Salmon
    Tilapia
    Cod
    Shrimp
    Tuna
    Tofu
    Nuts
    Seeds
    Nut butters
    Greek yogurt
    Cottage cheese
    Spinach
    Broccoli
    Edamame
    Legumes
    Beans
    Protein powder
    Protein bars
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    There is not a cardiologist or nutritionist or the planet who would recommend a high protein diet.

I'm sorry but you are incorrect. My cardiologist, endocrinologist, AND registered dietitian all said it is perfectly fine for me to eat 100-150 grams of protein a day.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Tuna, cottage cheese, chicken breast, or ground turkey. When I eat these foods I usually meet my protein needs. Oh, and Greek yogurt.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    edited February 2015
    Options

@NicoleS9‌ Please stop with the nonsense.

Red meat is the only source of protein that should be limited when it comes to heart health.

Chicken, salmon, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, nuts, seeds, nut butters, etc. are perfectly heart healthy.

Why do you think cardiologists tell their patients to take fish oil? Omega 3's… hello.
  • Dube11
    Dube11 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    100 grams of protein in a pound of chicken breast.