Calorie dense clean food?

Options
Besides egg, milk, peanut butter, olive oil, avocados and bananas which other clean calorie dense and nutrient dense foods are there? I don't want to fuel up on junk because I think it's counter productive. #NeedToIncreaseMyCalories :) thanks guys

Replies

• grantevans11
    grantevans11 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Any other variation of nuts particularly almonds, walnuts and pistachios.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? How much weight do you wish to gain? I think there are plenty of calorie dense foods you can use in daily consumption. You can add fish, scallops, shrimp, bacon(yes protein and fat and it tastes damn good), beans and rice, vegetables of any color. For me personally, if I want to widen my caloric window, I exercise a little more and use less nutrient dense foods(20% or close) as well as nutrient dense foods(about 80% or close to it). Make sense?
  • ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Meat! #allabouttheprotein
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Anything high in fat like chia and flax or dense carbs like whole grains. What is your definition of "clean" btw?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Good fatty red meats, for example: lamb shank, full-fat beef mince (or whatever they call it in your country), rib-eye steak.

You'll find some higher fat meats like mutton, pork shoulder, and braise steak are great slow cookers that produce fantastically tasty dishes and are melt-in-the-mouth with the addition of a few herbs/stock/spices.

Plenty of butter. Lots of butter.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    what do you define as "junk"

why do you feel it is counter productive to fuel up on said "junk"..?

I just finished a bulk where I put on ten pounds and part of my diet consisted of ice cream, cookies, bagels ,pasta, etc…however, I did make sure to hit my calorie/micro/macro goal and had no adverse side affects..

in a bulk calories are king, and food type is a minor side concern ..in my opinion...
  • ndj1979
    edited February 2015
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    What are your goals? How much weight do you wish to gain? I think there are plenty of calorie dense foods you can use in daily consumption. You can add fish, scallops, shrimp, bacon(yes protein and fat and it tastes damn good), beans and rice, vegetables of any color. For me personally, if I want to widen my caloric window, I exercise a little more and use less nutrient dense foods(20% or close) as well as nutrient dense foods(about 80% or close to it). Make sense?

kind of confused by bolded part, why would you exercise more in a bulk to be able to get more calories? That sounds like a cutting strategy ….
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    Good fatty red meats, for example: lamb shank, full-fat beef mince (or whatever they call it in your country), rib-eye steak.

You'll find some higher fat meats like mutton, pork shoulder, and braise steak are great slow cookers that produce fantastically tasty dishes and are melt-in-the-mouth with the addition of a few herbs/stock/spices.

Butter a steak and that's win-win!
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Cream? Is cheese allowed on clean food diet?
    Lots of nuts: almonds, pecans, walnuts etc
    You can add ground almonds to curry sauces and smoothies very easily.
    banana, cream and almond smoothie would be very calorie dense. Add some fresh mango and soft fruits so it's not too rich.
  • jimmmer
    Options

For sure!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    cherys wrote: »
    Cream? Is cheese allowed on clean food diet?
    Lots of nuts: almonds, pecans, walnuts etc
    You can add ground almonds to curry sauces and smoothies very easily.
    banana, cream and almond smoothie would be very calorie dense. Add some fresh mango and soft fruits so it's not too rich.

IDK …that is why I don't eat clean ..too many rules...
  • ndj1979
    Options

For sure!

agreed…

however, I don't think that is going to be clean enough for OP
  • jimmmer
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

For sure!

agreed…

Clean really means whatever the person declaiming it says it means.

In that it doesn't mean much at all.

But raw meat, raised in a way that pleases the person and cooked simply with a few quality ingredients can't offend even the staunchest of cleanies, can it?
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Nuts are going to be the easiest to increase your calories with. Nutrient dense and generally high calorie. Legumes (beans) are also good, but not as high calorie for the protein/fiber content as nuts. Also, you should really be putting some meats in rotation. You don't normally get much creatine in nuts or beans and I'm sure you'd rather get it naturally than with some powder.
  • ndj1979
    Options

For sure!

agreed…

But raw meat, raised in a way that pleases the person and cooked simply with a few quality ingredients can't offend even the staunchest of cleanies, can it?

you must be new here….:)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    aakaakaak wrote: »
    Nuts are going to be the easiest to increase your calories with. Nutrient dense and generally high calorie. Legumes (beans) are also good, but not as high calorie for the protein/fiber content as nuts. Also, you should really be putting some meats in rotation. You don't normally get much creatine in nuts or beans and I'm sure you'd rather get it naturally than with some powder.

but who wants to bulk on nuts and beans?????

much easier to incorporate ice cream, bagels, full fat butter, cream cheese, cottage cheese, and yogurt, cookies, etc...
  • jimmmer
    Options

For sure!

agreed…

you must be new here….:)

Lol.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

For sure!

agreed…

In most definitions of "clean" a solid cut of meat, particularly if raised to certain standards like grass-fed, and hormone/antibitoic free would qualify but not to a person using a plant-based definition.
  • ndj1979
    Options

For sure!

agreed…

In most definitions of "clean" a solid cut of meat, particularly if raised to certain standards like grass-fed, and hormone/antibitoic free would qualify but not to a person using a plant-based definition.

once you add the butter it is then a dirty, dirty, thing….

• jimmmer
    Options

For sure!

agreed…

Sure.

excepting veggie/vegan, you could eat any of the stuff I listed and probably still be "clean".