Lose a little tone a lot

Options
I'm working on losing 15 lbs and toning up a lot. I've been low weight high repping it. But just in case I fail at that... Let me know what works for you.I'm curious as to what I can try. Willing to try anything, with some guidance!

Replies

• Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I recommend looking into Stronglifts 5x5. Its a nice easy to follow lifting program.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Do a power lifting program

Research
    Wendler's 5/3/1
    or
    Ice cream fitness 5x5
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAuARgqS6aQ
    ^ there is the video that explains ICF 5x5 if you don't like to read ;)
  • angelnsnyder
    angelnsnyder Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion gentlemen. I will look it up! Btw, I love to read
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I prefer lifting heavy weights for fewer reps. I currently follow Stronglifts 5x5.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    As others have said, heavy weights and low reps will get you what you want.
  • Sumabadi
    Options
    I'm seeking clarity on this issue. I don't want to bulk up. What's best for lean muscles heavy weight low reps? Or lighter weight with high reps?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Sumabadi wrote: »
    I'm seeking clarity on this issue. I don't want to bulk up. What's best for lean muscles heavy weight low reps? Or lighter weight with high reps?

Can you define lean muscles? Do you mean little muscles?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    I recommend looking into Stronglifts 5x5. Its a nice easy to follow lifting program.

+1
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Can you define lean muscles? Do you mean little muscles?

You could try posting a picture of a woman you'd like to look similar to maybe. But it would take you a long time to bulk up lifting heavy (if you even will at all). You'd need more testosterone for that... and... you know... as women, we don't tend to have oodles of that.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options

It doesn't matter.

I you're dieting to lose fat, you're in a calorie deficit. If you're in a calorie deficit, it ain't likely you'll ever "bulk up". Those muscles have to come from somewhere, right? They aren't conjured up out of thin air. They're built by a calorie surplus ... which you aren't in if you're dieting.

• angelnsnyder
    Options
    I currently don't take supplements. Is there something I should be eating/drinking to help me get toned?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    I currently don't take supplements. Is there something I should be eating/drinking to help me get toned?

No, unless you're not getting enough protein, then take a protein shake. Of course, the protein shake still has to fit in your calorie deficit.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I've read lots of strength training posts here, "toning" is sort of a myth. Go for heavier weight! Building muscle is hard--much harder than losing fat in my opinion. Women should never fear becoming the Hulk--it won't happen unless you dedicate hours a day at the gym in insanely rigorous workouts. Moderate workouts will build your muscles slowly, losing fat will increase their definition (and fool you in thinking they are larger). As a man let me tell you that a woman with some muscular definition (as opposed to saggy arms and thighs) is a big turn-on.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    increase protein and fat
  • angelnsnyder
    Options
    I appreciate the help. I can't give anyone exercise advise but I can repay you all with hair cuts! Lol but seriously I'm grateful for the advise.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    I appreciate the help. I can't give anyone exercise advise but I can repay you all with hair cuts! Lol but seriously I'm grateful for the advise.

I would take you up on it. I'm in need of one. Ha!
  • angelnsnyder
    Options

I would take you up on it. I'm in need of one. Ha!

This offer may be valid...
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    "Toned" generally means having a firm body, with some visible muscle definition. We all halve muscles, but often lack the definitive lines or firmness because they are covered in a layer of fat. So losing the fat will give that "toned" look people desire.

A small calorie deficit and some strength training, or at least some form of resistance training, helps achieve this. As others have said, for true body recomp, the heavier weights you use, the better. Heavy is relative - it varies depending on the current strength of the person - but what you can lift for 8-10 reps with good form, struggling to get the last couple of reps in, is a good start.

You're not going to get bulky. It takes some serious intention and time to get there, especially for women. I do not have access to a gym or big weights, but have had good success for the past three years with dumbbells at home, increasing the weights as progress (and funds for bigger dumbbells!) allows. I saw much better progress once I added the strength workouts.

Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'm working on losing 15 lbs and toning up a lot. I've been low weight high repping it. But just in case I fail at that... Let me know what works for you.I'm curious as to what I can try. Willing to try anything, with some guidance!

I would recommend working in a range of rep ranges to include heavier weights and lower reps. I would also recommend getting on an actual program. Look into Strong Curves, my wife thought it was pretty awesome.

Being "toned" is simply being at a BF% that is low enough to show off your muscles. To have muscles you should lift for more than just muscular endurance (that's what low weight high reps is). You won't "bulk" up...bulking up is a very deliberate act that requires very specific training as well as adherence to diet and eating at a surplus. I'll also leave this here....

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You read my mind - I was thinking of posting that link, but forgot by the time I got to the end of my post. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I need coffee.

Excellent info and inspiration in that link - check it out!