Meal Sizes

I know that breakfast is the most important and supposed to be the biggest and then dinner is actually supposed to be a smaller lighter meal but does it really matter? I usually eat a smaller breakfast because I only need it to keep me satisfied for a few hours and then usually eat a really big lunch so I can not be hungry until dinner and then I usually eat a fairly big/hearty dinner. Is it really going to make any difference in my weight loss or how I feel in general if I change it?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    As long as you're in a calorie deficit you'll lose weight.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    If eating a small breakfast works for you, then do that. I used to often not eat anything until lunch, I just didn't get hungry until then. Didn't seem to stop me losing weight.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    I have lots of fitness pals here who do not even eat breakfast and they still have great success. Eat meal sizes that work for you - has the previous poster said, as long as you're in a deficit, you'll lose.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    I am one of the no breakfasters, I am still alive (points for me!). Its another one of those myths that floats around alot, you are not "jump starting" your metabolism or any of that BS. Eat however makes you happy, I love happy people :smile:
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    As long as you stay in a calorie deficit for the day as a whole you'll be fine no matter when you eat.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Forget every "weight loss tip" you have ever heard and read. The only thing that matters is if you say under a certain caloric net for a day. Seriously, it's that simple. Find one that make sense for you, and stick with it. The weight will come off.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Meal size & timing does not matter for weight loss. In the end it's all about the number of calories you consume every day, not when you consume them.

Meal size & timing does matter for helping you stick to your goals. Does a big breakfast help you stay fuller throughout the day, or does it make you feel hungrier throughout the day? When you eat affects different people differently. You need to figure out what works best for you.

Just as an example, here's what works for me:
    I eat a small breakfast and a moderate lunch (these two meals are usually half of my daily calories combined). I eat the other half of my calories between 6pm and 10pm. I prefer to eat at night. I eat a larger dinner and save about 200-300 calories for an evening snack that I eat around 9pm. This is my only snack, I eat 3 meals and 1 snack. I would prefer to eat more food less frequently, than to eat less food more frequently.

That's what works for me. You need to figure out what works for you.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    I feel deprived if I don't have a big dinner. My breakfast is normally 200 calories or less, my lunch around 500 and the remainder goes to dinner. When I keep that up and stay under my calories, it works perfectly.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Dinner, by definition, is the biggest meal of the day. If you want to have dinner at breakfast, that is up to you. I prefer dinner at lunchtime and then a light supper. Breakfast, for me, is usually the lightest of all.