lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Necro thread.

Just coming to say that.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Necro thread.

Just coming to say that.

So, if someone resumes an old thread to ask a new question, we should refrain from answering or what? Please expand.
  • lemurcat12
    edited December 2016
    There was no new question.* Someone answered an old question and that usually confuses people so they don't notice the original question was long ago. I always dislike accidentally answering an old question and my impression is many others feel the same, so it's nice to point out that it's old.

*Edit: oh, oops, there was. I missed it. Never mind, then, although I do think on MFP adding a question to someone else's old question tends to create confusion and better practice is to start a new thread. (Same with adding a different question to someone's preexisting thread.)
  • lemurcat12
    I really am interested in paleo/ clean eating. Gluten,wheat and grains really upset my health. How do i start?

As it was pointed out that this is a new question, I will repeat the advice from before:

There's a group for paleo eaters that would probably be a good source of advice: Here it is: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/37-primal-paleo-support-group

There are also a TON of paleo recipe blogs that are good for ideas (I sometimes use them even though I am not paleo). One is https://stupideasypaleo.com/ and another is http://nomnompaleo.com/

That said, cooking without grains (which would include no wheat or gluten) is really easy. I am not paleo and yet I only good with grains if I happen to want pasta or corn or rice. If you are good with starches other choices are tubers (potatoes and sweet potatoes) and legumes (lentils are particularly easy and fast). Also quinoa, although lots of people who cut grains seem to cut quinoa too. I never ate much bread, so skipping the bread similarly seems easy. (Note that if one is actually paleo you also skip legumes, and I personally think that's bad advice for most, as legumes are great for you in lots of ways.)

And that aside, I don't actually think most people who think grains are bad for them are correct, I think it's mostly just a trendy thing and having a test to see if you really have an issue is a good thing. But there's no need to eat grains and they are pretty easy to cut out so if you want to, no harm. (I did paleo briefly, and found it pretty easy.)

The only way it should be at all hard is if you eat a lot of packaged stuff or go out a lot, and then (if you really think you have a gluten issue) you will need to be careful about asking questions and reading labels. I'd also think a more useful source would be people who are celiac or on a real gluten free diet, but if you are just assuming gluten is a problem they might have issues, as I've heard from some that the trendiness and people being casual about it leads to assumptions they dislike about strictness not really being important for those who are celiac (which is wrong) and also complete bad information about what celiacs must avoid.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    There was no new question.* Someone answered an old question and that usually confuses people so they don't notice the original question was long ago. I always dislike accidentally answering an old question and my impression is many others feel the same, so it's nice to point out that it's old.
    *Edit: oh, oops, there was. I missed it. Never mind, then, although I do think on MFP adding a question to someone else's old question tends to create confusion and better practice is to start a new thread. (Same with adding a different question to someone's preexisting thread.)

I tend to agree with you, but there are forums out there with the opposite rule (where users must use existing threads to ask new questions on the same subject), so it may be confusing for some people.