Running apps....HELP

Options
I downloaded Runkeeper onto my phone today so I could have some sort of indication of how fast and how far I was actually running. But for some reason it only logged the first 0.1 of my mile :grumble: I did keep it in my sports bra though...would this have affected the results?
Can anyone recommend another running app, preferably one that's free and will log my whole run!

Replies

• leonasmith77
    Options
    I think the Nike Free Run works best for running.

There shoes can be the storage of the chip that tracks your running, distance, speed etc.

Good luck on your exercise!
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Runtastic. Been using it for a few months now.

Generally very good BUT it does tend to crash occasionally, so I would only use it as a form of reference. Don't rely on it.

You should also go on their website you can plot your runs there. My advice to you is to plot your run on their site so you know how far you're going and then use a stopwatch on the way round.

Do not reply on any running app. If they crash it will screw your concentration. Use a simple stopwatch.
  • gansven
    gansven Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi,

I am using Runtastic for the last 3 days and its been great. Its a free app and the calories lost in exercising is lined to myfitnesspal as well.

Try it.

It only depends on GPS and tracks the distance covered on the road. It has options for tracking Threadmill as well, but not tried it yet.

All the Best!!
  • sandyinsc
    sandyinsc Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I use Map My Run. Haven't had any problems!
  • rachdun
    rachdun Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I use Runtastic - good app, but if the GPS signal is lost it can affect results.
  • triskaidekaphile13
    triskaidekaphile13 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I love Runkeeper. Have occasional problems in an area with lots of tree coverage but most of the time it works fine. It does need to be able to get the GPS signal though. Were you wearing a sports bra underneath a top?
  • shelleycolton
    shelleycolton Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I use "map my run" and love it as a form of reference. I haven't had any problems.
  • groovy_dhruvy
    groovy_dhruvy Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I use Nike+ GPS, I have done for years - love it!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Map my run has tended to be accurate for me on known runs. Haven't had any problems with it.
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I love map my run!!! Never loses a GPS signal
  • kcragg
    kcragg Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Runtastic works for me, i love it!
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I use Runkeeper, I also have Map my run and Zombies, Run! I LOVE Zombies, Run! but found the the GPS wasn't as accurate as Runkeeper so now I run both while running, Runkeeper for an accurate reading and Zombies, Run! for the entertainment. I'm thinking you might have just hit the stop activity button while you were running. I've found that my Runkeeper is the most accurate for me as I live in a wooded area on a mountain so reception can be spotty. If you're going to be running more than every so often I would reccommend investing in an arm band, sticking your phone in your sports bra can lead to water damage of the phone ( I had a friend who found that out the hard way) plus then you can change songs easier and I find it much more comfortable (less bouncing). I would try Runkeeper again before you give up on it.
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Runtastic has been perfect for me - I paid for the Pro version as it was on sale and the only problem I've had with it is that occasionally (like twice in three months) it inaccurately calculates speed - once it had me down as 201mph, but I think they've resolved a few glitches now. I really only use it for reference against my HRM, so it's not vital, I'm just a data junkie.

It uploads to a website and connects with MFP. Be aware that Runtastic Pro isn't the same as the online Runtastic Gold - something I think is a bit strange/unfair - but you have to pay extra on top for Runtastic Gold but as I mentioned, it's not vital for me.

The other thing with Runtastic is that it is a multi-discipline app that works for running, walking, cycling etc - mainly outdoor pursuits, although you can upload your indoor workouts too.

EDIT: My GPS for Runtastic has been superb - Map My Walk was all over the place for me.
  • rsimoneau1
    rsimoneau1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've been using Runtastic Pro since April 2, and have logged 167.7 miles of mostly running, with some hiking and walking mixed in. A couple of things that I have noticed with it:

If you use a neoprene case with a shield over the screen, you will lose your GPS signal. A lot. It does affect your time/distance/speed numbers. This happens because when you lose signal, the app only tracks where you lost it, and once you regain it, gives you a straight line between the two points. So I threw the case out last week after being overly frustrated over losing the damn signal.

Run with your phone in your hand if you have to in order to get constant gps signal. I did that for a week, and never lost signal once, especially in the areas I lost it all the time. i found I was getting cheated in distance by almost a mile in one instance.

I purchased a new armband that does not cover the screen made by INCASE (sports-armband-deluxe-cl59983) and have had zero gps issues so far. My runs are now much more accurate with speed/time/distance.

If you are training for a KM measured run, switch your distance measurements to KM to get a more accurate read on your 5k, 10k etc times.

The voice that gives me the updates is cool, I have it set to every half mile (I am data driven) as I like to see if I am on a constant pace. I find that I tend to speed up after the first 3 miles, and I am trying to find a constant rhythm/pace for more endurance rather than faster times.

Playlist feature is cool.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I have used all the above but usually end up using Endomondo more often. It has crashed less on me that Runtastic and MapMyRun, but none of them are bullet proof.
  • ashley11scott
    ashley11scott Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    DONT run with phone in ur bra sweat is same as water it will danmage your phone....first hand expreince here! get a holder for it i got a belt that holds my phone.

run keep as always tracked find for me make sure ur gps is on. The only time it tracked wrong was when I had the phone in the buggy hood.

LOVE runkeeper!! 2years with it now.
  • leslieschoenle
    leslieschoenle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I use RunKeeper also and it has worked awesome for me! It is almost right on what my cars odometer reads... within .01 miles actually! I have had only had it do what it did to you one time... i suggest getting a holder for your phone, which you can get at wal-mart back in sporting goods for about $10... Good Luck!
  • tooliebell
    tooliebell Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I tried Run Keeper and it couldn't get GPS signal at my house. So I tried MapMyRun and haven't had any trouble. In fact, I love it!

I keep it in my bra too, should get a case but eh for now it works.
  • Gutter19
    Gutter19 Posts: 141
    Options
    I have had good luck with MapMyFitness, RunKeeper and Endomondo...the free version of each has been plenty for me so far, but I really like the ones that sync with MFP.

No GPS issues either with Endomondo and I have used it for a couple years now on different phones. I just started sampling the others to see if there was something better out there and have gone back to it.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo and have had no GPS issues. Maybe a sleeve to carry your phone?