beginning weight when u started running

Options
What weight were you when you started running?

Replies

• saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    What weight were you when you started running? I feel too fat to start.
  • pope705
    pope705 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I started at 220 (I'm 5'2). As long as you start slow and listen to your body, you should be ok. I definitely feel too fat to run somedays, and I was wearing 2-3 bras to stop the jiggle (til I found the right sports bra). Compression clothing helps with other jiggling.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    135 ish. (I'm 5'6", I started running again at around age 45?)
  • saraonly9913
    Options
    pope705 wrote: »
    I started at 220 (I'm 5'2). As long as you start slow and listen to your body, you should be ok. I definitely feel too fat to run somedays, and I was wearing 2-3 bras to stop the jiggle (til I found the right sports bra). Compression clothing helps with other jiggling.
    Thank you. I weigh 194 and am 5'3". Hmmm I will definitely need a good sports bra.

• tedsmama
    tedsmama Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I was 171 when I started, now 149 and will never stop running (if I can help it :smile: ). I took it slow and really listened to what my body was telling me. Also, a good pair of running shoes makes a world of difference. I recommend getting fitted for a pair if you decide you love running!!!
  • christmre
    christmre Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I started at about 185, 190. I used the Couch to 5K, it really helped to get going.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    I was 253 lbs., now I'm down to 215... and still running!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    300 pounds I'm now 180 and still running
  • saraonly9913
    Options
    Awww thanks all of you. Hopefully I will get over my fear and try it out soon.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    pope705 wrote: »
    I still wear two bras some days, even with the right running bra.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    6 foot 2 inches and 255 pounds when I started running. Currently fluctuating between 226 and 229 because I am working on building strength as opposed to losing. I still need to lose...but also need more strength. Will start focusing on losing again probably in April.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    5'6" and 170, down nine pounds since. Even though I'm eating more.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    128. Its hard at any weight, at first. It seems like the heavier folks have an advantage. They seem to be getting exponentially stronger with each run.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Great post, I am wondering the same. I want to add running g to my arsenal but I have a surgically repaired ankle (screws and a plate) and think I Ned to be as light as I can before starting. Not sure if I will ever be pain free but don't want to injure myself and derail my current workouts. For now I do biking, elliptical, rowing and strength.

Anyone have any input or advice? I'm currently about 187lbs and 5'8". I would say I'm in good cardiovascular shape at this point.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    What weight were you when you started running? I feel too fat to start.

You are not too fat to start. I guarantee that.
    Start slow. The C25K program is really good for beginners. You start by running (slowly) 30 seconds, walking 90 seconds, and repeating for 20 minutes. Weight is not a factor at all.

Give it a try. You can do this if you want to. Read this:
    http://flintland.blogspot.ca/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html
    It's a beautiful blog entry.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    210 on Dec. 11th. I'm 199 .0 lbs now.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I was somewhere around 290 when I started running last summer, perhaps even 300.
  • fengkycar
    Options
    252 pounds (5'10). I am doing couch to 5km. I was puffed after each running interval. Yesterday I completed week 5 which was a 20 minute run! And I felt great. My weight is down to 230 pounds now.
  • bigburd82
    Options
    Have you considered "running" in the pool? It's a good way to start.The chlorine doesn't wreck your hair because you aren't submerging. So you can run in the pool more often if hair color/perm/relaxer is an issue.

I've been jogging since January. But I walked a long time before that. Also, I wear a loose jacket. I'm 5'1" and weigh 177. Yikes!

• sarieth05
    sarieth05 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Started at 282.