beginning weight when u started running

Options

Replies

• Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »
    Great post, I am wondering the same. I want to add running g to my arsenal but I have a surgically repaired ankle (screws and a plate) and think I Ned to be as light as I can before starting. Not sure if I will ever be pain free but don't want to injure myself and derail my current workouts. For now I do biking, elliptical, rowing and strength.

Anyone have any input or advice? I'm currently about 187lbs and 5'8". I would say I'm in good cardiovascular shape at this point.

Me too my left one. I'm not even sure if I will ever be able to do more than a jog but I'm going to try the couch to 5k program only on my treadmill. We'll see how it goes. I can always stop or slow if it feels like too much.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I was 163 (5'4") when I took my first run. I randomly ran 3 miles and only walked a couple blocks. After that and running a 5k, I realized I still hated it. Plus the steady state cardio wasn't doing anything for my goals, so I have since stopped.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »
    Great post, I am wondering the same. I want to add running g to my arsenal but I have a surgically repaired ankle (screws and a plate) and think I Ned to be as light as I can before starting. Not sure if I will ever be pain free but don't want to injure myself and derail my current workouts. For now I do biking, elliptical, rowing and strength.

Anyone have any input or advice? I'm currently about 187lbs and 5'8". I would say I'm in good cardiovascular shape at this point.

I hesitate to offer advice given your medical thing, but when I first started, I tried to push myself too fast and had to take a couple days off of exercise to baby my tendons. So now I jog/run fairly slowly. And that was coming into it after using a rowing machine and doing aerobics/calisthenics/circuit training!

So I slowed it back down to three-minute intervals mixed with walking and have been able to work my time up since, with minimal pain.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    267. I just started with short running intervals mixed in with walking. Over time I did more running and less walking. It is amazing how quickly you can make progress if you stick with it. Don't worry about speed...it is fine to jog slowly. You can always work on speed later.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    somewhere in the ballpark of 190, I think?? maybe?? I could only run at 2.1mph, but I gave it my all for every step of those two miles!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    215 and I'm 5'4". that was in late July 2014. I'm still running and I'm 188lbs now and my legs are starting to look amazing if I do say so myself. I also used C25K. I actually never finished it. Once I got past week 5 I stopped using the app and focused on running as long as I could while enjoying my run. I generally run 3-4 miles 3 to 4 times a week now.
  • 3athlt
    3athlt Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I was about 275 when I started running. I'll be under 200 soon, and I'm currently training for a spring marathon.
  • farmboyphotography
    farmboyphotography Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    268. I started very slowly and only ran 30 seconds at a time. I have a long way to go but I run/walk intervals, typically two minutes at 6 mph alternating with five minutes at 3.5 mph. I do a lot of walking, up to nine miles a day, but I only run every second or third day.
  • MythicalMe84
    MythicalMe84 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    251 and started today! I would walk a few minutes then jog a minute. I ended up walking 30 minutes and jogging 11.
  • Bird7tee
    Bird7tee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    212 and I too am trying the C25k. Early days yet but I love the fact that the app gives the workout some structure. Tried running before but never quite got the hang of how long to run for and, like most yo-yo exercisers soon gave it up.....wish me luck this time?
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Last July did C25K program starting at 153lbs (5'2").

Now at 115lbs, and run 4-5 miles (non-stop) 3-4 times a week.

Get a good sports bra and proper running shoes!

Edited to add - I'm no spring chicken either - I will be 52 next week & never ran before in my life! ;)

• blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    131kg

I started out running on a treadmill designed to reduce impact (much easier on the joints than a hard, uneven pavement and easier to learn how to manage pace).

When you jog (and do jog, don't run) make sure you land on the ball of your foot, behind your toes, rather than the heel of your foot. Landing on the ball reduces the impact through your joints and is much kinder on the body for heavy people. Keep your stride short rather than long.

Go really, really, really slow. It's easy to feel embarrassed by a slow pace but it's the best thing for you at the moment. Aim for a mile in about 20 minutes. Focus on how long you can maintain pace (stamina) rather than how fast you can get there.

Learning to jog was one of the best things I ever did, even at my very heavy weight. I'd totally recommend it. Good luck :-)
  • cipote67
    cipote67 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was 300 when I started 5 years ago but been stuck at 240's because I still haven't figured out that I need to eat right all the time. I still have binging issues. I've run long distances but my time could be so much better and recovery faster if I would just wise up.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    110 kg (242 pounds) when I started my first successful walk/run program. I started running slower than I could walk, and it was how I succeeded.
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Bird7tee wrote: »
    212 and I too am trying the C25k. Early days yet but I love the fact that the app gives the workout some structure. Tried running before but never quite got the hang of how long to run for and, like most yo-yo exercisers soon gave it up.....wish me luck this time?
    I wish you the best.
  • saraonly9913
    Options
    I wish you the best this time around.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    About 270.
  • saraonly9913
    Options
    131kg

I started out running on a treadmill designed to reduce impact (much easier on the joints than a hard, uneven pavement and easier to learn how to manage pace).

When you jog (and do jog, don't run) make sure you land on the ball of your foot, behind your toes, rather than the heel of your foot. Landing on the ball reduces the impact through your joints and is much kinder on the body for heavy people. Keep your stride short rather than long.

Go really, really, really slow. It's easy to feel embarrassed by a slow pace but it's the best thing for you at the moment. Aim for a mile in about 20 minutes. Focus on how long you can maintain pace (stamina) rather than how fast you can get there.

Learning to jog was one of the best things I ever did, even at my very heavy weight. I'd totally recommend it. Good luck :-)
    Thank you for the tips. I wouldnt have guessed to land on the balls of my feet.
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Don't run too quickly. I was 264lb when I started my diet and probably started jogging around 245lb and have hurt my ankles quite a bit from doing that. Don't run before you can walk, everything in moderation :)
  • saraonly9913
    Options
    110 kg (242 pounds) when I started my first successful walk/run program. I started running slower than I could walk, and it was how I succeeded.
    Wow. Thanks.