I admit it...

Options
I'm admitting to myself and everyone else that I have a binge problem...

I don't know if I could be diagnosed with the disorder because I don't know if it's that extreme. But it's happening.

A little info: I am a first yr college student and I have struggled with anorexia. I have been weight restored for a while now but sometimes still struggle with under eating. Recently, I have days where I will binge eat. I believe it's because I still under eat sometimes.

This is so embarrassing for me to admit. I hate that this happens and I'm so ashamed. But I wanted to admit it to myself and others, because that's the first step. I'm going to change this. Any advice and similar stories are greatly appreciated!

Replies

• minipony
    minipony Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Don't be embarrassed, but I know what you mean. Sometimes I will have this urge to uncontrollably eat and I hide it from everyone. To make you feel better, although not helpful, I bought myself and my roommate skinny cow ice cream bars. I had one with him after dinner. Then I woke up in the middle of the night and ate them all. :\ My mission the next day was to buy another box and take out how many we ate so it looked the same. So silly. Okay...now here is my advice that I should follow.
    1. I have a food person that I can text and tell them when I feel a binge is coming on. Then I can text them later and let them know how it went.
    2. Identify trigger foods and do not buy them or let yourself be convinced that a little is okay. A little of those foods ALWAYS ends up being ALL of it.
    3. Make sure you aren't hungry or getting enough protein in the day. If I'm hungry and have already hit my cals I eat my favorite veggies dipped in a gourmet mustard with a little stevia. That's my low cal version of honey mustard lol. I use it sparingly.
    4. Call a girlfriend and talk or journal. This way you can find out what is behind you wanting to binge. Although sometimes I think it is just because I want to lol.
    5. Have some alternative activities that are soothing that you must do before a binge. Examples are take a bath, shower, brush your teeth, have tea, go for a walk etc.
    Man I should copy this list for myself lol. I do these things probably 75 percent of the time and they work for me. Sometimes I make mistakes though.
  • JacquiH73
    JacquiH73 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My binge eating I found was often the result of not eating enough in the days previous. I wouldn't starve myself but rather for 2 to 4 days I just pick at food and then a one day I'm eating everything in sight.

The MFP calorie counter is a great way to control that. If you maintain eating the necessary calories you need on a daily basis you'll find yourself less inclined to binge.
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Brave of you to do this. Many, many people struggle with this issue so you are definitely not alone. I am not an expert in anything so I will not give you any advice. Just know you are not alone and will be supported here in your efforts to make better choices. Hugs to you.
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    That was super brave!! Awesome that you're being so proactive to counter it!!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You probably have access to a counselor at your school you can help esp with school related stress.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Ive had EDNOS for 17 years. Logging your calories and getting as close to your goal number is best to keep from a future binge. I eat all my calories everyday, and I haven't had a binge for weeks. Stress is also really bad for binging. I do 'bored' eating binges.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I would recommend speaking with your doctor or a counselor. These resources might help:

http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1575987-eating-disorder-resources
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Your college counseling center could be a great place to start. They have a lot of experience helping people with EDs--ALL SORTS of EDs and ED histories and semi-EDs and so forth.
  • rwethington654
    rwethington654 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I would like to thank everyone who replied to my post. Everyone was very encouraging and have good advice. It definitely helps to know that I'm not alone.
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not alone. I have dealt with this too. Send me a message if you would like to talk!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I would like to thank everyone who replied to my post. Everyone was very encouraging and have good advice. It definitely helps to know that I'm not alone.

<3 Yes, you are NOT alone. Even if you *think* you have an unhealthy food relationship, PLEASE seek out professional help. I did the same--my uni has a free (you pay for it from your segregated fees) counseling and health services department. See if you have the same. I have received tremendous help and support from just asking for advice and professional help. While I don't have a diagnosable condition, I still have/had ongoing food issues that need addressing (I like to call it being "proactive" in maintaining healthful outlook). If you feel you have the same, there is a wealth of knowledgeable professionals to steer you toward resources to point yourself toward healthy living.