Bikini first time in public... Should I?

Options

Replies

• jaly92
    jaly92 Posts: 91
    Options
    I say that if you feel confident and feel sexy - you'll look sexy too!

Be proud of yourself and your body - you deserve to show it off but only as much as you feel happy with. There's always the option of changing if you don't feel comfortable on the day - your tattoo is lovely.

But I agree with some of the comments, your top doesn't look like it's giving you proper support for your boobs - a more flattering style and a better fit will take attention away from your tummy if you're more conscious about it anyway! :)

Enjoy yourself! It doesn't matter what anyone thinks but yourself, you'll look beautiful only if you feel beautiful. :)
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Wear a bikini? Yes, absolutely.

This bikini? Not sure it is a good fit/style for you. The bottoms are fine, but you need a bigger cup size or a different fitting top. This top could get uncomfortable pretty quickly. It might just be the way you're holding the camera up, but you're pinching yourself a little. A halter style will provide good support and be more flattering on your frame.

Beautiful tattoo! You should show it off, definitely.

I'm with her, this is good, but a different top would make it great!

I like that top, but I agree with them. It's too small. Looks super uncomfortable.
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options

This bikini? Not sure it is a good fit/style for you. The bottoms are fine, but you need a bigger cup size or a different fitting top. This top could get uncomfortable pretty quickly. It might just be the way you're holding the camera up, but you're pinching yourself a little. A halter style will provide good support and be more flattering on your frame.

this ^^^^
    the top doesn't begin to fit or do you any justice.
    the underwire is sitting ON your boob
    this is both super uncomfortable and not as flattering as it could be.
  • ILuvMoo
    ILuvMoo Posts: 41
    Options
    I can't see the pictures because my work computer is blocking them... but was in your situation a couple weeks ago on my honeymoon (5' tall and 145 lbs, but dangit, I'm wearing a bikini on my honeymoon even if it kills me!)...

So here's my advice: go for it, nobody cares as much as you do, and PEOPLE WATCH while you're there. This is how I reassured myself: keep an eye out for people in bikinis who are bigger than you, but are wearing them anyway. There are lots of these people around. I promise.

It shouldn't be a judgemental thing... not, "UGH that person should NOT be in a bikini!" but more of an objective thing to help you frame and analyze the social norms that tell us who gets to wear which bathing suits... think about this for a few minutes, and it will start to feel really absurd and its power over you will decrease.

Also, when you see someone larger than you rocking a bikini, ask yourself: "As an onlooker, am I feeling any of the things I'm afraid others feel when they look at me in a bikini? Or am I just sort of ambivalent? Am I concerned and embarassed FOR this person because I'm afraid others are judging her even though I'm not? Does she look like she cares? Why should I be embarassed for her if she's not embarassed herself? What is there even to be embarassed about?"

Etc etc
  • rainsable
    rainsable Posts: 7
    Options
    There are lots of vintage style bikinis out there with fuller bottoms to hide the stomach if you feel self conscious about it. They also tend to have more structured bikini tops too. Will look great with your tattoo!
  • emilypink573
    emilypink573 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I say yes! But no to this one.
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    I can't see the pictures because my work computer is blocking them... but was in your situation a couple weeks ago on my honeymoon (5' tall and 145 lbs, but dangit, I'm wearing a bikini on my honeymoon even if it kills me!)...

So here's my advice: go for it, nobody cares as much as you do, and PEOPLE WATCH while you're there. This is how I reassured myself: keep an eye out for people in bikinis who are bigger than you, but are wearing them anyway. There are lots of these people around. I promise.

It shouldn't be a judgemental thing... not, "UGH that person should NOT be in a bikini!" but more of an objective thing to help you frame and analyze the social norms that tell us who gets to wear which bathing suits... think about this for a few minutes, and it will start to feel really absurd and its power over you will decrease.

Also, when you see someone larger than you rocking a bikini, ask yourself: "As an onlooker, am I feeling any of the things I'm afraid others feel when they look at me in a bikini? Or am I just sort of ambivalent? Am I concerned and embarassed FOR this person because I'm afraid others are judging her even though I'm not? Does she look like she cares? Why should I be embarassed for her if she's not embarassed herself? What is there even to be embarassed about?"

Etc etc

not judgemental but make sure you people watch to find other women who are larger than you are in bikinis?

hmm....
  • TammyS327
    TammyS327 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    My honest opinion? Well, I think if it were me, I'd wait to lose more. What I do think would look nice on you is a cute tankini. There are a lot of them out there, and I would recommend one to show off your nice bosom. Don't hate on me folks, she asked for opinions and this is mine. Have fun at the beach in whatever you decide to wear!
    I get this. ↑

I am heading to the beach next week too so I went shopping yesterday. The suits didnt look as good on me as I thought they would so I will stick to a tankini.
    You do what makes you feel comfortable.
    I would be showing off that bi**hin in tattoo though.
  • 111orBust
    111orBust Posts: 41
    Options
    Bikini? Absolutely.
    BTW your ink is gorgeous!
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Lifting_Knitter Posts: 1,025
    Options
    do it! I have been going to the pool for weeks already and I can tell you...one woman has been in a one piece. One woman in WEEKS! Women of every shape and size are rocking bikinis. I even talked to one of my friends about it and she was amazed that I was right! She went to the pool and very few were wearing one pieces! Go out and rock it! :heart: :drinker:
  • alixandra15
    alixandra15 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    go for it! :) your ink is amazing and should be shown off
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options

This.

I hope you don't take any offense to what I'm about to say. I'm basing this off of my own experience:

I just had my first public experience with a bikini, but I made 100% sure I had the right bikini for my body and that it fit properly. The proper fit is key. I'm going to agree with this poster that you need to try a larger cup size, but I think you might need to look for another type of bottom as well. Personally, I've learned that string bikinis don't work well for my body shape. Mostly because my hips eat the strings and I end up with muffin-top, which seems to be what your hips are trying to do to the bottoms you're wearing. Just because you like a type of bikini doesn't mean it was made for you; this was a hard pill for me to swallow as far a bikinis are concerned. :ohwell: Take your most brutally honest friend with you to while bikini shopping. They should help guide you in the right direction.

(Edited to add the above paragraph.)
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    go for it. No one cares as much as we think they do.

What she said! Go for it and soak up some sun!!
  • melissafaith24
    melissafaith24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    this has always been a hard thing for me as well. i feel like everyone is/was always pointing and laughing or mumbling crap about me so i always wore a tankini and even then felt paranoid/self conscious. however, this past weekend, i wore a bikini and tested out my "F yall, im wearing it" attitude and rocked it :) so freeing. and yes i have lots more to lose but i felt like it was a huge accomplishment for me!

go for it!
  • SpazQ
    SpazQ Posts: 104
    Options
    I say wear it and rock it. I live AT the beach and you are completely normal.

I wish everyone to get to a point in their life that they just don't care what others think.
    People are ALWAYS going to judge you by something. Whether it be your weight, your face,
    what you are wearing, a tattoo......a zit......... the patch of skin on your elbow............

They will find something! It makes people feel better about themselves.
  • JennOnTheRocks
    Options
    If you feel confident and are ready then DO IT! It isn't about waiting until you reach your goal, it is about celebrating the journey. :)
  • SpazQ
    SpazQ Posts: 104
    Options
    this has always been a hard thing for me as well. i feel like everyone is/was always pointing and laughing or mumbling crap about me so i always wore a tankini and even then felt paranoid/self conscious. however, this past weekend, i wore a bikini and tested out my "F yall, im wearing it" attitude and rocked it :) so freeing. and yes i have lots more to lose but i felt like it was a huge accomplishment for me!

go for it!

awesome!!!! Everyone should have that attitude every day!
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Your art work definitely needs to be seen. I'd love to get a tattoo some day. :smile: That being said, a different style of bikini - the tankini would be a good choice - would show all your hard work off to better advantage. The top on that bikini is too small for you. The girls are being abused to the point they're oozing out of the cups. You've got side boob and underboob going on there. If not a tankini, can you get the proper size top to match that bikini bottom?
  • Sarah_L_S
    Sarah_L_S Posts: 121
    Options
    Yes, but a different bikini. That one doesn't fit well. Have a brilliant holiday!
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    go for it. No one cares as much as we think they do.

THIS!
    Go, wear it and enjoy yourself!