Bikini first time in public... Should I?

Options

Replies

• SpazQ
    SpazQ Posts: 104
    Options
    You need 75% bare skin to soak in the natural Vitamin D.

(Vitamin D is also one of those vitamins that can hinder weight loss if you are deficient)
  • ashlbubba
    ashlbubba Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I say yes for bikini.. however this one is a no. I don't think you're string bikini ready and the top isn't quite there yet either.. mini shopping spree!!!!
  • workout_fish
    workout_fish Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    GO FOR IT!! You look great! And your tattoo is freakin amazing!! You are your own worst critic, just remember that! I think you look wonderful!
  • RachelX04
    RachelX04 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I say go for it..
  • katiethedetermined1
    katiethedetermined1 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My theory is that there is always going to be someone else that looks worse then you. When you get to the beach find that person and then rock the confidence that you get from it!!!

(I know kind of mean, but it works!)
  • staceybradleywells
    staceybradleywells Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Wear it & rock it. There are those that will be thinner than you, and those larger than you wishing they had your confidence to wear a bikini. Plus your tatts need to be seen. Slap some sunscreen on your tatts, and hit the beach in that bikini.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I would find a more flattering style. Congrats on losing weight, but this bikini does not fit you well. You can see under boob because the top is too small. The bottoms are cutting into your hips.

Try on different styles. The number on the tag doesn't mean anything. If you have to go up a size to find something that flatters your body then go for it. It's just a number.
  • ILuvMoo
    ILuvMoo Posts: 41
    Options
    I can't see the pictures because my work computer is blocking them... but was in your situation a couple weeks ago on my honeymoon (5' tall and 145 lbs, but dangit, I'm wearing a bikini on my honeymoon even if it kills me!)...

So here's my advice: go for it, nobody cares as much as you do, and PEOPLE WATCH while you're there. This is how I reassured myself: keep an eye out for people in bikinis who are bigger than you, but are wearing them anyway. There are lots of these people around. I promise.

It shouldn't be a judgemental thing... not, "UGH that person should NOT be in a bikini!" but more of an objective thing to help you frame and analyze the social norms that tell us who gets to wear which bathing suits... think about this for a few minutes, and it will start to feel really absurd and its power over you will decrease.

Also, when you see someone larger than you rocking a bikini, ask yourself: "As an onlooker, am I feeling any of the things I'm afraid others feel when they look at me in a bikini? Or am I just sort of ambivalent? Am I concerned and embarassed FOR this person because I'm afraid others are judging her even though I'm not? Does she look like she cares? Why should I be embarassed for her if she's not embarassed herself? What is there even to be embarassed about?"

Etc etc

not judgemental but make sure you people watch to find other women who are larger than you are in bikinis?

hmm....

Did I say "looks worse"? No. I said "larger". I was very careful to use neutral language. "Larger than you but in a bikini" is what will help OP deal with the pressure she's feeling, which comes from a social norm that's frankly ridiculous. I've seen women twice my size in bikinis that honestly probably looked better in them than I looked in mine, but it was helpful for my self-image to take that critique and apply it to the things I know about myself, to help me get past the blinders we so often have for ourselves. I can't see in a mirror what others see when they look at me, but when *I* am the *other* looking at someone else, I can get a better picture of how much others probably care about my pudge (which is somewhere near zero, unless they're also super self-consious and doing the same thing).

I'm not advocating the "at least I look better than HER" mindset. To claw your way over others in an attractiveness race is counterproductive and just reinforces the negative stigma I'm trying to erase from my own mind, even if I can't erase it from everyone else's.

What I'm advocating is stopping to mindfully consider what's going on around you. Really take a moment and analyze how much you care about what everyone else is wearing (you probably don't care at all), then you can safely assume that everyone else cares what YOU'RE wearing to approximately the same degree.

ETA: It's a mental exercise to PROVE to yourself that nobody cares as much as you think they do... because it's easy to say that, but it can be hard to really take it to heart without something in your mind saying, "They just told me that to make me feel better."
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    I've always been of the opinion that people should wear whatever they want and not fear what others think. No one ever pleases everyone in their choice of clothing. Hell, I get bagged on all the time by friends and family because all I practically wear anywhere (with the exception of being appropriate at events) is gym wear. Shorts, dri fit t shirts, sweats, etc. are me and I don't give a **** about whether people like it or not.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I agree that you need to find a better fitting bikini. This one is too small and not very flattering. Properly fitting cloths automatically make everyone look better.

I don't buy into the "compare your self to someone else to make you feel better." I advocate true self confidence and true comfort in your own skin, this can only be accomplished when you lay down the insecurities that make you judge yourself (and thereby other people). Our own self perceptions are incorrect anyway, so hanging on to this comparative is not self serving, and can actually be detrimental to our ability to love ourselves for who we are.
  • tinabatinaflc
    Options
    wear a bikini in public? yes. go for it.

but wear one that fits properly. get one that is for your shape. it looks like the top of it is to tight and you have boob sticking out under it. and in my opinion, the string bikini's bottoms don't compliment a curvier woman.

this
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    I can't see the pictures because my work computer is blocking them... but was in your situation a couple weeks ago on my honeymoon (5' tall and 145 lbs, but dangit, I'm wearing a bikini on my honeymoon even if it kills me!)...

So here's my advice: go for it, nobody cares as much as you do, and PEOPLE WATCH while you're there. This is how I reassured myself: keep an eye out for people in bikinis who are bigger than you, but are wearing them anyway. There are lots of these people around. I promise.

It shouldn't be a judgemental thing... not, "UGH that person should NOT be in a bikini!" but more of an objective thing to help you frame and analyze the social norms that tell us who gets to wear which bathing suits... think about this for a few minutes, and it will start to feel really absurd and its power over you will decrease.

Also, when you see someone larger than you rocking a bikini, ask yourself: "As an onlooker, am I feeling any of the things I'm afraid others feel when they look at me in a bikini? Or am I just sort of ambivalent? Am I concerned and embarassed FOR this person because I'm afraid others are judging her even though I'm not? Does she look like she cares? Why should I be embarassed for her if she's not embarassed herself? What is there even to be embarassed about?"

Etc etc

not judgemental but make sure you people watch to find other women who are larger than you are in bikinis?

hmm....

Did I say "looks worse"? No. I said "larger". I was very careful to use neutral language. "Larger than you but in a bikini" is what will help OP deal with the pressure she's feeling, which comes from a social norm that's frankly ridiculous. I've seen women twice my size in bikinis that honestly probably looked better in them than I looked in mine, but it was helpful for my self-image to take that critique and apply it to the things I know about myself, to help me get past the blinders we so often have for ourselves. I can't see in a mirror what others see when they look at me, but when *I* am the *other* looking at someone else, I can get a better picture of how much others probably care about my pudge (which is somewhere near zero, unless they're also super self-consious and doing the same thing).

I'm not advocating the "at least I look better than HER" mindset. To claw your way over others in an attractiveness race is counterproductive and just reinforces the negative stigma I'm trying to erase from my own mind, even if I can't erase it from everyone else's.

What I'm advocating is stopping to mindfully consider what's going on around you. Really take a moment and analyze how much you care about what everyone else is wearing (you probably don't care at all), then you can safely assume that everyone else cares what YOU'RE wearing to approximately the same degree.

ETA: It's a mental exercise to PROVE to yourself that nobody cares as much as you think they do... because it's easy to say that, but it can be hard to really take it to heart without something in your mind saying, "They just told me that to make me feel better."

I didn't even bother to read all this.
    No matter how "tactfully" you choose to phrase it, the sentiment is the same.
    Use whatever euphemisms you like, but essentially you are echoing the main reason women are nasty to other women.

no one's self confidence should ever be based on how other people look. Or how you look with respects to them.
    and frankly, if you were confident in yourself, or even confident in your own self-worth that you did not care what others thought, this comparison BS wouldn't even occur to you (and I use "you" to refer to most human beings, not YOU specifically).
  • JewelE77
    JewelE77 Posts: 134 Member
    Options

Etc etc

hmm....

Use whatever euphemisms you like, but essentially you are echoing the main reason women are nasty to other women.

no one's self confidence should ever be based on how other people look. Or how you look with respects to them.
    and frankly, if you were confident in yourself, or even confident in your own self-worth that you did not care what others thought, this comparison BS wouldn't even occur to you (and I use "you" to refer to most human beings, not YOU specifically).

You should have read it all because that's exactly what the OP was trying to say. If you had bother to read the whole thing instead of jumping to judgement you would have seen that.

ETA that I agree with others before me, you look amazing and should absolutely rock a bikini, just maybe one that fits better on top. Hope you have a blast! :flowerforyou:
  • freyaheart
    freyaheart Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    You rock it honey!

I hope that by next summer I have the confidence for a bikini as well!
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Wear a bikini, sure, but get one that fits. The top does not fit properly.
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options

Etc etc

hmm....

You should have read it all because that's exactly what the OP was trying to say. If you had bother to read the whole thing instead of jumping to judgement you would have seen that.

ETA that I agree with others before me, you look amazing and should absolutely rock a bikini, just maybe one that fits better on top. Hope you have a blast! :flowerforyou:

she IS advocating it, even as she says she isn't.
    so are you.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Wear a bikini? Yes, absolutely.

This bikini? Not sure it is a good fit/style for you. The bottoms are fine, but you need a bigger cup size or a different fitting top. This top could get uncomfortable pretty quickly. It might just be the way you're holding the camera up, but you're pinching yourself a little. A halter style will provide good support and be more flattering on your frame.

Beautiful tattoo! You should show it off, definitely.
    this - you got a little underboob going on. not a bad thing.. wish i had some. just saying! rock out. :)
  • BluejayNY
    BluejayNY Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    You can wear a bikini fine but I am not a fan of this one.does not fit you at all. The bottoms are too small and I actually think ones with more coverage would make you look thinner. You are oozing out under the top. We can see your underboob
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    if it were me, I would not. Or maybe a different style........
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    There are some rockin' bikini options here, made for curvier people:

http://www.pinupgirlclothing.com/swimwear.html