Rate my Diary please

I would love some people to go into my diary and give me some feedback. Weight loss seems to have stalled somewhat and I can't see why.
I have cut back on sugar (a few slip ups)
Cut back the calories (still around 1600 each day)
Noted that I don't eat enough protein (chicken in the fridge for today)
and tried to eat better all around.

I'm a poor student so have limited funds, space in the kitchen for storage and no idea how to cook.

Also, I drink full fat milk because I can't stand the low fat stuff. Any help would be really appreciated. Oh yeah, I'm not at the gym right now so just walking around 7km per day plus whatever incidental walking I am already doing so around 12km plus per day.

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    edited February 2015
    Make sure you are weighing all the solid food you eat with a kitchen scale and measure all caloric liquids with measuring cups and spoons.
    I think you are way overestimating your calorie burn-what exercise do you do that burns over 800 and 1000 calories?
    You do need more protein, lots of different veggies.
    Eggs are cheap-do you like them? How about beans, nuts, more chicken, turkey and beef. Look for the sales when grocery shopping! Ask some friends to show you cooking basics or research on the Internet. It's very easy to bake, broil, steam and boil.
    Keep going-it's a learning process!
    You can drink whole milk as long as it's within your calorie goal!
    Even sweets are ok in moderation.
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    edited February 2015
    Yes I am weighing all my food like a crazy person. The calorie burn is coming straight from Fitbit. On average I burn around 2500 (for the whole day inc exercise) and eat around 1600 so there is a good defict there.

All my settings are set to sedentary on Fitbit and MFP which is what I am most of the day. I have a limit on what I can buy as I get one shelf in the fridge, one in the pantry and there is little space in the freezer. I share house with three others and don't have a proper working oven lots of the time (I need someone else home for me to light it).

I have very few $$$ to spend on food and already go a market, six suburbs away.

With eggs, they make me fart so badly that I just cannot eat them. I have the same with beans but I make myself eat baked beans anyway.

Also I really can't stand cooking.
  • DustoniousMonk
    DustoniousMonk Posts: 18 Member
    If there's an issue with the oven, I recommend getting a small george foreman grill (or the equivalent if you're in another country). It takes up very little space, it's easy to clean (if you get the one with removable plates) and supper easy to cook all kinds of meats on it (just spray with oil and plop the meat in for a couple of minutes). Plus you can get one for less than $20. Definitely couldn't live without mine and I hate cooking too.
  • myfatass78
    Is it possible that the lack of protein and retaining water is linked ? That seems to be the only consistent thing that I am doing wrong.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    A crockpot would be good, too. Chicken breast and frozen veggies are the base for most of my meals, and pretty cheap. Add different marinades or sauces and you've got a whole slew of different meal options.
  • myfatass78
    But wont the sauces and marindes have heaps of sodium in them ? At least least the store bought ones and I don't know how to make those things.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited February 2015
    Ideas to increase protein -- cut the banana and bread and eat more milk and cheese (get better cheese like cheddar.) In other words, double the amount of milk and cheese you are eating.
    You are fussy about other proteins so I am afraid of making a stupid suggestion. Some U.S. college students live on peanut butter because it is cheap protein. Do you have some cheap protein in a jar where you are?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    How long has your weight loss been stalled?
  • myfatass78
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Ideas to increase protein -- cut the banana and bread and eat more milk and cheese (get better cheese like cheddar.) In other words, double the amount of milk and cheese you are eating.
    You are fussy about other proteins so I am afraid of making a stupid suggestion. Some U.S. college students live on peanut butter because it is cheap protein. Do you have some cheap protein in a jar where you are?

I simply can't afford to buy things like Chedder Cheese as they are $7 a block and don't fit inside a sandwich to well. I love peanut butter but what could I use it with if I am going to cut our bread ??
  • myfatass78

Also your suggestions are really appreciated. I'm just in a bind with money and it makes it hard.
  • myfatass78
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

My weight hit 71.7 on Jan 26th and has gone up and down but is now at 71.6 as of today. It is just not moving.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    myfatass78 wrote: »

I simply can't afford to buy things like Chedder Cheese as they are $7 a block and don't fit inside a sandwich to well. I love peanut butter but what could I use it with if I am going to cut our bread ??

Is that a serious question?
    Find a way to get more protein in.
    When I need more oil in my day, I take a table spoon of Olive Oil. Nothing fancy.

• myfatass78

When I need more oil in my day, I take a table spoon of Olive Oil. Nothing fancy.

If I go and spend that sort of money on cheese then it means I can't afford to eat for a day. I have a budget of $70 for everything for the week. This includes feeding my cat, buying personal care items, buying shared bread and milk with my housemates, my fruit and veg and the rest of my foods.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

My weight hit 71.7 on Jan 26th and has gone up and down but is now at 71.6 as of today. It is just not moving.

Coming up on three weeks. Could have a "whoosh" of weight loss coming if you really have that big a deficit. Also women will natural gain and lose weight over the cause of the month; that could be a factor.

As for marinades or sauce packets having too much sodium, I wouldn't worry too much about it unless your doctor has told you to. Usually you can use the pack to make a whole batch of food, which means sodium per serving may not be that high. Also if salt from an ingredient is a concern, I just try to cook with minimal added salt. I don't like things tasting too salty anyway, so there's that
  • myfatass78

Yes it is a serious question. I should just eat Peanut Butter on its own ???
  • myfatass78
    Apologies, I am just really pissed off and hungry right now . . . I will go and eat something and come back with a more open mind.
  • swaggityswagbag
    swaggityswagbag Posts: 78 Member
    Yes eat peanut butter on its own, people do it all the time. Of course you'd have to weigh it though.

But you have been finding a lot of "reasons" why nothing can change, either your financial situation or you just don't want to eat different foods. Basically your options are change or don't change, if you don't like any of the changes then accept you maybe won't lose fat any faster or you'll continue being hungry.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    My husband and I are also strapped for money. We buy our meat in bulk because it is cheaper but, we don't have to share a fridge. as far as using peanut butter on something other than bread there are multiple ways. Apple slices, celery, crackers, by itself. I don't know what kind of stores you have around you to tell you much more. We are lucky enough to be near 5 grocery stores, a farmer's market and a meat market. So we plan weeks in advance with deals.
  • MelodyandBarbells

Yes it is a serious question. I should just eat Peanut Butter on its own ???

You're kind of describing some people's heaven. :bigsmile:

I kind of like your diet personally. You might be better off just searching old posts if you would like ideas on increasing protein consumption. There will be so many suggestions and you can easily weed out the ones that aren't realistic for your situation

• soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Yes eat peanut butter on its own, people do it all the time. Of course you'd have to weigh it though.

But you have been finding a lot of "reasons" why nothing can change, either your financial situation or you just don't want to eat different foods. Basically your options are change or don't change, if you don't like any of the changes then accept you maybe won't lose fat any faster or you'll continue being hungry.

This is exactly it. Maybe you should figure out what you really want (to keep doing what you're doing, or to make a little change). There are tons of people that can help you, you just need to have an open mind!