Mfp has set my calorie goal to 1070? I thought it shouldn't be less than 1200.

Options
Hi everyone. I'm new to mfp and have only been using it for a week. However I did lose my first 12 two weeks prior to this so put that loss onto mfp to include it and motivate myself. The thing is, I am looking to lose 2 lb a week and the calculator has set my goal at 1070cals a day? I did lose 2lb this week but I'm worried it's too low. I am 5 foot 6 and am now 215.8 lb and my first goal is to reach 170-180lb. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• 39flavours
    39flavours Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    That's definitely not right!
  • BeTheChange352
    BeTheChange352 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    definitely a glitch. go here to figure out your TDEE, subtract 1000 (2 pounds a week) or 500 (1 pound a week) and eat that number every day, and don't eat exercise calories back.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    It might be a glitch on MFP's part, but that aside, I'm the same height as you and definitely don't recommend eating that little at your current weight! I'd say to go for one pound a week or so, and eat more food. :) I lost a lot of muscle mass through eating too little when I didn't know much about nutrition, and that's one thing I really and truly regret! All the best. :)
  • dontjinxit
    dontjinxit Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It won't let me go below 1200. Did you go the standard or customized route?
  • minamina27
    minamina27 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I just put in my details and that's what it came up with. Please take a look at my profile/food diary. It tells me every day that I have eaten too little when I complete the day but I'm doing what has been set for me? I don't want to set my own calorie goals as that's why I'm here in the first place! Thanks. All help appreciated.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Go back and redo your settings and save them again...that shouldn't be possible
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Go back and redo your settings and save them again...that shouldn't be possible

Try this first ^

Then notify tech support. It should have a floor of 1200. We can't see your diary because you have it set to private. If you want people to be able to look at it then go to Home > Settings > Diary Settings and choose public.
  • minamina27
    Options
    Hi. I have changed it to public now. I have altered some settings and the figure changes slightly but when I put in my actual details it still says 1070cals. Luckily I started (95%) clean eating four weeks ago so save a lot of calories that way but unless I do lots of exercise I'm not sure this is doable. I do want to begin by losing 2 lb a week but would lower that once I'm on my way. Any help appreciated and feel free to comment on my food diary. Critical or not, all will be appreciated. Thanks. Also I will ask for tech support. Thanks.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Assuming that you are 25 years old and exercising 3x's per week, IIFYM has a TDEE of 2300. Subtract 1000 from that and it gives you 1300 calories. That should net you about 2lbs per week.
  • minamina27
    Options
    I wish I was 25! I'm 43, does that make a difference?
  • dontjinxit
    dontjinxit Posts: 82 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If you can't get it fixed, go into custom and set it to 1200 or more yourself. Then it will automatically adjust and show you how much you'll be losing each week with that amount of calories.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I would definitely contact them about this though, because it does sound like a glitch.
  • minamina27
    Options
    Just checked on the tdee calculator and it says my tdee is 1979. How much less do I eat if I want to lose 2 lb a week? Thanks.
  • wolfordwebsites
    wolfordwebsites Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Check if you have negative adjustments enabled in your diary settings online. If you are using a fitbit, for example, it could adjust your calories down.
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    If your TDEE is 1979 then technically you'd need to eat 1000 fewer calories per day in order to lose 2lb per week so the total to eat would only be 979 which is too low.

My TDEE is a little less than yours, aroud 1800, but the lowest I can realistically go without being too hungry is 1300-1350 so that will only allow me to lose 1lb per week maximum.

In your case you could try and aim for 1.5lb per week and in that case you would have to eat 1229 calories per day, but based depending on your activity level you might find that's a bit too little.

In my case, I exercise quite a lot, but still have a fairly low TDEE and this means that I get hungry if I eat less than 1300 due to the amount of energy I'm using during workouts etc. For this reason I have to accept that my weight loss will be slower and I can only realistically expect to lose 1lb per week maximum otherwise I find I'm too hungry.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You arent listening to what people are telling you.

Have you gone back and reset?
    Have you contacted the help desk?
  • Katielou112
    Katielou112 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    definitely a glitch. go here to figure out your TDEE, subtract 1000 (2 pounds a week) or 500 (1 pound a week) and eat that number every day, and don't eat exercise calories back.

I've just calculated my TDEE and it says 2010, so I should be eating 1010 and no exercise cals back if I want to lose 2lbs a week? I'm 154lb and 5ft 5.
  • minamina27
    Options
    I have looked on tech support. It says not to add there but to add anywhere it says help? I can't find anywhere to ask? I'm on my iPad, don't know if it's a different format to desk top? I have messed around with the parameters. It still says the same. I will just put in 1200 and work on that as I can't even see a reset? Any links appreciated.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    minamina27 wrote: »
    Just checked on the tdee calculator and it says my tdee is 1979. How much less do I eat if I want to lose 2 lb a week? Thanks.

It may not be possible to lose that much in a healthy way. Try setting it to lose 1 lb to 1.5 lbs per week.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

I've just calculated my TDEE and it says 2010, so I should be eating 1010 and no exercise cals back if I want to lose 2lbs a week? I'm 154lb and 5ft 5.

Again, with so little to lose you shouldn't try to lose 2 lbs per week.
This discussion has been closed.