Mfp has set my calorie goal to 1070? I thought it shouldn't be less than 1200.

Options

Replies

• JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    While it's great to see the scale go down 1.5-2lbs every week it's really not sustainable to eat 1000 calories every day. I've lost weight before in a short period of time by eating 900-1100 calories but I couldn't keep it up and very quickly gained the weight back again. I also had little energy so couldn't do my workouts properly and ended up depriving myself and got depressed when I had to eat out as I had so few options.

Now I'm losing at a rate of 1lb per week and though it's nowhere near as fast as I'd like I am able to eat 1300-1500 calories at least every day and most days I have enough energy to do the exercise I want to and I also don't find I get hungry so much. I can also eat out when I want if I save up my calories for that specific meal and eat less at other times that day.
  • minamina27
    minamina27 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all who have replied. I have now altered my desired weight loss to 1.5lb a week and my calories have increased to 1300+. I'm going to keep it at this and see what happens. I thought that as I had a lot to lose then 2lb a week would be ok. Still learning! Thanks.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    minamina27 wrote: »
    Thanks to all who have replied. I have now altered my desired weight loss to 1.5lb a week and my calories have increased to 1300+. I'm going to keep it at this and see what happens. I thought that as I had a lot to lose then 2lb a week would be ok. Still learning! Thanks.

Good job :) All the best to you!
  • Bex_2584
    Bex_2584 Posts: 47 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    edited after reading rest of post.

No comments.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Bex_2584 wrote: »
    definitely a glitch. go here to figure out your TDEE, subtract 1000 (2 pounds a week) or 500 (1 pound a week) and eat that number every day, and don't eat exercise calories back.

If this is the correct way to do it I should be only consuming 887 calories to lose 2lbs a week???!!!!

You probably shouldn't be losing 2 lbs per week either.
  • catgallagher28
    Options
    Same happened with me! I was changing mine yesterday and it told me my limit was 530 calories.... Ive been using MFP for years now and it has never dropped below 1200 before for me! I figured it was just a glitch and just customised mine....
  • kellysdavies
    kellysdavies Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to lose 2lb a week even if close to goal. I've been doing MFP for nearly a year now and totally stalled for about 6 months when I ate at TDEE. So now I'm only eating a 1000 calories a day and exercising (and not eating back calories) and it's working for me and I am on the last few pounds to go. I am short (5ft1.3) and weight 9stone2lb this morning (goal is 8stone12) so my maintenance calories are pretty low anyway. I have to eat fewer that 1200 cals if I want to lose any weight. Using a Fitbit has shown me how few calories I actually burn in a day even with a 5k run or 30 min spin class. If I ate 1200 cals I wouldn't lose weight. I find 1000 cals is adequate. Choosing healthy and nutritious foods; lots of eggs, meat, veg, homemade clean and lean granola bars, beans on toast, homemade soups and even get a treat in each night like a Milky Way or kit Kat or bag of popcorn.
    Don't be forced to eat more if you want to lose weight more quickly. I don't agree you won't sustain it any less than you would if you lost it slowly.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You have your goal set too aggressively for someone with so little to lose.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    definitely a glitch. go here to figure out your TDEE, subtract 1000 (2 pounds a week) or 500 (1 pound a week) and eat that number every day, and don't eat exercise calories back.

I've just calculated my TDEE and it says 2010, so I should be eating 1010 and no exercise cals back if I want to lose 2lbs a week? I'm 154lb and 5ft 5.

Again, with so little to lose you shouldn't try to lose 2 lbs per week.

^^ this! set it to lose 1lb a week, much less of a deficit required and your body will thank you for it :smile:
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to lose 2lb a week even if close to goal. I've been doing MFP for nearly a year now and totally stalled for about 6 months when I ate at TDEE. So now I'm only eating a 1000 calories a day and exercising (and not eating back calories) and it's working for me and I am on the last few pounds to go. I am short (5ft1.3) and weight 9stone2lb this morning (goal is 8stone12) so my maintenance calories are pretty low anyway. I have to eat fewer that 1200 cals if I want to lose any weight. Using a Fitbit has shown me how few calories I actually burn in a day even with a 5k run or 30 min spin class. If I ate 1200 cals I wouldn't lose weight. I find 1000 cals is adequate. Choosing healthy and nutritious foods; lots of eggs, meat, veg, homemade clean and lean granola bars, beans on toast, homemade soups and even get a treat in each night like a Milky Way or kit Kat or bag of popcorn.
    Don't be forced to eat more if you want to lose weight more quickly. I don't agree you won't sustain it any less than you would if you lost it slowly.

Sorry but no. You'll be losing a fair bit of muscle at that rate.

I'm 5'2 and can lose on 1600 a day

1000 plus no exercise calories is far too low. If you ate at TDEE of course you stalled as TDEE is maintenance.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

That's because TDEE is maintenance, by definition.

I didn't say you wouldn't sustain it. Weight loss is notoriously difficult to maintain regardless of method. The issue is muscle loss, getting adequate nutrients, and possibly making binging issues worse. I seriously doubt you're fulfilling your macro and micro nutrient needs on so little, especially if you're fitting in things like candy bars, which if full-sized would take up approximately a quarter of your daily intake.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif

Just wanted to let people know that I've contacted the MFP powers-that-be about the glitch in calorie calculations, and as you can see, they are hard at work on the problem.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    giphy.gif

Just wanted to let people know that I've contacted the MFP powers-that-be about the glitch in calorie calculations, and as you can see, they are hard at work on the problem.

LOL

Ya know, that actually explains quite a lot
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    giphy.gif

You rock woman! Best gifs ever!
  • kellysdavies
    Options

1000 plus no exercise calories is far too low. If you ate at TDEE of course you stalled as TDEE is maintenance.

• kellysdavies
    edited February 2015
    Options

Sorry but yes. I'm not losing any muscle. I'm doing lots of exercise and more toned than ever. Everyone is different. Just because you can it doesn't mean I can. I won't lose and even gain eating 1600 a day. Tried it. And yes I measure and weigh my food ...
    1000 is not too low - for me.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Sorry but yes. I'm not losing any muscle. I'm doing lots of exercise and more times than ever. Everyone is different. Just because you can it doesn't mean I can. I won't lose and even gain eating 1600 a day. Tried it. And yes I measure and weigh my food ...

How tall are you? and how old are you?
  • kellysdavies
    Options

That's because TDEE is maintenance, by definition.

I didn't say you wouldn't sustain it. Weight loss is notoriously difficult to maintain regardless of method. The issue is muscle loss, getting adequate nutrients, and possibly making binging issues worse. I seriously doubt you're fulfilling your macro and micro nutrient needs on so little, especially if you're fitting in things like candy bars, which if full-sized would take up approximately a quarter of your daily intake.

Sorry I meant TDEE minus 10% even 20% - it wasn't working for me. To be honest TDEE - anything for me is low anyway. I was maintaining. Tried it for a long time. I haven't lost muscle. My body fat is decreasing (been using Firbit scales to measure trends over time).
    You can doubt all you want but I am confident I eat well and full of nutrition. Today: eggs and ham and rye bread for brekkie. Soup for lunch. Chicken breast and loads of veg and mushrooms for dinner and maybe some Quinoa. I know how to eat well. And the odd 'treat' is doable. I didn't say they are full size. Two finger kitkat is 107 cals. Few pieces of dark chocolate of an evening ... Homemade banana granola bars 88 cals ... Mashed banana ice cream 80 cals depending on size of banana. Totally doable.
  • kellysdavies
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Sorry but yes. I'm not losing any muscle. I'm doing lots of exercise and more times than ever. Everyone is different. Just because you can it doesn't mean I can. I won't lose and even gain eating 1600 a day. Tried it. And yes I measure and weigh my food ...

5ft1.3 and 36.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

5ft1.3 and 36.

Oh look I'm 5'2 and 35, must be that magic 0.7"

if you're losing 2lbs at week with less than 10lbs to lose you are losing muscle as your boy can only lose so much fat a day.
This discussion has been closed.