Mfp has set my calorie goal to 1070? I thought it shouldn't be less than 1200.

Options
13»

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to lose 2lb a week even if close to goal. I've been doing MFP for nearly a year now and totally stalled for about 6 months when I ate at TDEE. So now I'm only eating a 1000 calories a day and exercising (and not eating back calories) and it's working for me and I am on the last few pounds to go. I am short (5ft1.3) and weight 9stone2lb this morning (goal is 8stone12) so my maintenance calories are pretty low anyway. I have to eat fewer that 1200 cals if I want to lose any weight. Using a Fitbit has shown me how few calories I actually burn in a day even with a 5k run or 30 min spin class. If I ate 1200 cals I wouldn't lose weight. I find 1000 cals is adequate. Choosing healthy and nutritious foods; lots of eggs, meat, veg, homemade clean and lean granola bars, beans on toast, homemade soups and even get a treat in each night like a Milky Way or kit Kat or bag of popcorn.
    Don't be forced to eat more if you want to lose weight more quickly. I don't agree you won't sustain it any less than you would if you lost it slowly.

Stop comparing yourself to people who are nowhere near the same situation as you. I am also 5'6 like the OP, and I get ill if I only eat 1200-1300 calories a day more than a couple of days. It's totally not sustainable for people with more body mass, and trying to do so only sets you up for failure. So don't encourage other people to eat in an unhealthy way just because you choose to do so.

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to lose 2lb a week even if close to goal. I've been doing MFP for nearly a year now and totally stalled for about 6 months when I ate at TDEE. So now I'm only eating a 1000 calories a day and exercising (and not eating back calories) and it's working for me and I am on the last few pounds to go. I am short (5ft1.3) and weight 9stone2lb this morning (goal is 8stone12) so my maintenance calories are pretty low anyway. I have to eat fewer that 1200 cals if I want to lose any weight. Using a Fitbit has shown me how few calories I actually burn in a day even with a 5k run or 30 min spin class. If I ate 1200 cals I wouldn't lose weight. I find 1000 cals is adequate. Choosing healthy and nutritious foods; lots of eggs, meat, veg, homemade clean and lean granola bars, beans on toast, homemade soups and even get a treat in each night like a Milky Way or kit Kat or bag of popcorn.
    Don't be forced to eat more if you want to lose weight more quickly. I don't agree you won't sustain it any less than you would if you lost it slowly.

Sorry but no. You'll be losing a fair bit of muscle at that rate.

I'm 5'2 and can lose on 1600 a day

1000 plus no exercise calories is far too low. If you ate at TDEE of course you stalled as TDEE is maintenance.

Sorry but yes. I'm not losing any muscle. I'm doing lots of exercise and more toned than ever. Everyone is different. Just because you can it doesn't mean I can. I won't lose and even gain eating 1600 a day. Tried it. And yes I measure and weigh my food ...
    1000 is not too low - for me.

Toned doesn't really have a definition but generally people use it to mean losing body fat and revealing muscle underneath, not necessarily that you've kept all of the muscle you had before.

At any rate you would need about 44 grams of fat for your weight (.35 grams per pound of weight) which is 403 calories (9 calories per gram). Then you'd need about 100 grams of protein since you're exercising. That's another 400 calories, which puts you at 800 just for your fat and protein. Neither of those has fiber, or Vitamins A & C (which are mostly going to be in fruits and veggies), so that only leaves you 200 calories to meet all of your vitamin/mineral goals, fiber, and whatever treats you want to fit in.

It'd definitely be tight.

Either way, it's against the community guidelines to promote this sort of thing here.
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I used to eat low calorie in the region of what you're eating Kellysdavies and like you I lost a lot of weight fairly quickly. I am not far off your height at 5'4". I also found that generally TDEE -10% or 20% was not enough for me to lose.

However I'm now ignoring those TDEE calculators, getting a much more accurate idea of what I'm really burning in terms of calories and my true BMR. This has told me that I can either eat 1000 calories per day, burn off another 500 through exercise and lose 2lbs per week, or eat 1400 calories per day, burn off 500 through exercise and lose 1lb per week.

I would rather take the 2nd option thank you very much! By eating more, I am able to get in more calories/nutrients and not feel that I could risk losing muscle mass by what I'm doing.

In addition, just because you're losing body fat and weight doesn't mean you're not losing muscle or bone density etc.. Your muscles might appear more defined but that's because the fat is coming off, not because they're not getting smaller.

I've recently bought some body fat composition scales which tell me my muscle mass, bone density and body fat/water and this way I can keep a better eye on things. I'm really glad I'm not eating at 1000 calories any more, as I now know it's really not good for my body, and much as I'm not happy losing weight so much slower I think it's a better way to do things.
  • kellysdavies
    kellysdavies Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

1000 plus no exercise calories is far too low. If you ate at TDEE of course you stalled as TDEE is maintenance.

Sorry but yes. I'm not losing any muscle. I'm doing lots of exercise and more times than ever. Everyone is different. Just because you can it doesn't mean I can. I won't lose and even gain eating 1600 a day. Tried it. And yes I measure and weigh my food ...

How tall are you? and how old are you?

5ft1.3 and 36.

Oh look I'm 5'2 and 35, must be that magic 0.7"

if you're losing 2lbs at week with less than 10lbs to lose you are losing muscle as your boy can only lose so much fat a day.

Oh hello. Can you see my body? Can you see my body fat measurements? I could set myself a different target. I could say I want to be 7 stone 4 (still in healthy range for my height) and then I would have 2 stone to lose or 28lbs. Then you would say it is fine to lose 2lb a week. You make absolutely no sense ! Silly person.
    And. As I have stated. Muscle is improving and body fat decreasing.
  • kellysdavies
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »

Stop comparing yourself to people who are nowhere near the same situation as you. I am also 5'6 like the OP, and I get ill if I only eat 1200-1300 calories a day more than a couple of days. It's totally not sustainable for people with more body mass, and trying to do so only sets you up for failure. So don't encourage other people to eat in an unhealthy way just because you choose to do so.

Lol. I didn't compare: the opposite! Read my posts. I said 'everyone is different'. What works for me might not not work for someone else. My point is it's okay to lose 2lb a week and it is okay to eat 1000 calories a day to do this: for me. Stop encouraging people to not hear other people's experiences. And why am I unhealthy? I eat very well. Lots of nutrients.
  • kellysdavies
    Options

Sorry but yes. I'm not losing any muscle. I'm doing lots of exercise and more toned than ever. Everyone is different. Just because you can it doesn't mean I can. I won't lose and even gain eating 1600 a day. Tried it. And yes I measure and weigh my food ...

Toned doesn't really have a definition but generally people use it to mean losing body fat and revealing muscle underneath, not necessarily that you've kept all of the muscle you had before.

At any rate you would need about 44 grams of fat for your weight (.35 grams per pound of weight) which is 403 calories (9 calories per gram). Then you'd need about 100 grams of protein since you're exercising. That's another 400 calories, which puts you at 800 just for your fat and protein. Neither of those has fiber, or Vitamins A & C (which are mostly going to be in fruits and veggies), so that only leaves you 200 calories to meet all of your vitamin/mineral goals, fiber, and whatever treats you want to fit in.

Either way, it's against the community guidelines to promote this sort of thing here.

I'm not promoting it. I'm just stating what is working for me. Personally. I personally find that I do not lose weight when I eat more calories. I believe I am more toned because I do a variety of exercise including lifting so I do not believe I am losing muscle. I am still at the top end of my 'healthy weight' range. If I was 7stone5 and saying all this I'd agree it was unhealthy. I am 5ft 1.3 and 9stone2/3. I could aim for 7stone something but I am aiming for something I feel is healthier, for me, 8stone12. After being stuck at 9lb7 for around 8 months (after being 10stone10) 6 months before; this is now what is working for me. That. Is. All.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »

Lol. I didn't compare: the opposite! Read my posts. I said 'everyone is different'. What works for me might not not work for someone else. My point is it's okay to lose 2lb a week and it is okay to eat 1000 calories a day to do this: for me. Stop encouraging people to not hear other people's experiences. And why am I unhealthy? I eat very well. Lots of nutrients.

It's okay to lose 2 pounds per week if you don't mind it being muscle so that when you finally get to goal weight you still have about the same amount proportionately of fat as when you started. Part of that lean body mass you reduce is a really important thing called "bone density". You probably don't care now about that, but when you are 60+ and 4'8" and shrinking and you can't find clothes that fit you, and you are in a cast because you fell and broke a hip, you might care. But then it will be too late to fix it.

The OP was asking about her own calorie intake. By inserting your opinion, you are implying that it would be okay for her to eat 1000 calories a day, and it is not okay and not healthy.

• kellysdavies
    Options
    JAT74 wrote: »
    I used to eat low calorie in the region of what you're eating Kellysdavies and like you I lost a lot of weight fairly quickly. I am not far off your height at 5'4". I also found that generally TDEE -10% or 20% was not enough for me to lose.

However I'm now ignoring those TDEE calculators, getting a much more accurate idea of what I'm really burning in terms of calories and my true BMR. This has told me that I can either eat 1000 calories per day, burn off another 500 through exercise and lose 2lbs per week, or eat 1400 calories per day, burn off 500 through exercise and lose 1lb per week.

I would rather take the 2nd option thank you very much! By eating more, I am able to get in more calories/nutrients and not feel that I could risk losing muscle mass by what I'm doing.

In addition, just because you're losing body fat and weight doesn't mean you're not losing muscle or bone density etc.. Your muscles might appear more defined but that's because the fat is coming off, not because they're not getting smaller.

I've recently bought some body fat composition scales which tell me my muscle mass, bone density and body fat/water and this way I can keep a better eye on things. I'm really glad I'm not eating at 1000 calories any more, as I now know it's really not good for my body, and much as I'm not happy losing weight so much slower I think it's a better way to do things.

That's cool. I don't buy that lower than 1200 cals is 'unhealthy' per se dependent on what you are eating. Doctors prescribe 800 cals a day diet for some groups. If it was 'unhealthy' they wouldnt. I think it very much depends on what you're eating. I haven't lost a lot of weight very quickly. It's been a year to get to this point. I have done it very slowly. I use FITBIT scales to keep an eye on my body fat Which is still in 30% range so I don't think I am being silly. And this is confirmed by nutritionist/PT at work who also uses callipers Etc.
    Different strokes for different folks!

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

I'm not promoting it. I'm just stating what is working for me. Personally. I personally find that I do not lose weight when I eat more calories. I believe I am more toned because I do a variety of exercise including lifting so I do not believe I am losing muscle. I am still at the top end of my 'healthy weight' range. If I was 7stone5 and saying all this I'd agree it was unhealthy. I am 5ft 1.3 and 9stone2/3. I could aim for 7stone something but I am aiming for something I feel is healthier, for me, 8stone12. After being stuck at 9lb7 for around 8 months (after being 10stone10) 6 months before; this is now what is working for me. That. Is. All.

Saying it's okay to do = promoting it.

And I notice you completely skipped over the part about your fat/protein intake. I guess we'll have to take your word for it that you're hitting those minimums since your diary is closed.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    edited February 2015
    Options

That's cool. I don't buy that lower than 1200 cals is 'unhealthy' per se dependent on what you are eating. Doctors prescribe 800 cals a day diet for some groups. If it was 'unhealthy' they wouldnt. I think it very much depends on what you're eating. I haven't lost a lot of weight very quickly. It's been a year to get to this point. I have done it very slowly. I use FITBIT scales to keep an eye on my body fat Which is still in 30% range so I don't think I am being silly. And this is confirmed by nutritionist/PT at work who also uses callipers Etc.

Morbidly obese patients to whom the risk of being obese is greater than the risk of low intake. That's not to say that there is no risk to low intake, just that it's been deemed worth it in those cases because the patient is likely to die of complications from their weight. Those patients work with a dietician to make sure they're getting enough nutrients, they take a ton of vitamins and supplements, and they DO lose muscle in the process. My father-in-law now has a heart condition because of the muscle he lost on one such diet.

Also if you're 128 lbs and 30% body fat it's safe to say you've lost muscle. That's normal weight obesity. It's the reason we tell people to lift, eat enough, and get enough protein. What you're doing right now is counter-productive to body composition.
  • deksgrl
    Options

That's cool. I don't buy that lower than 1200 cals is 'unhealthy' per se dependent on what you are eating. Doctors prescribe 800 cals a day diet for some groups. If it was 'unhealthy' they wouldnt.

Namely people who have had gastric bypass surgery, or very obese people who are facing life impacting or possibly fatal consequences if they don't lose it.

This is not recommended for people closer to goal weight and definitely not recommended for those just working on the vanity pounds. Stop being ridiculous.

• kellysdavies
    Options

And I notice you completely skipped over the part about your fat/protein intake. I guess we'll have to take your word for it that you're hitting those minimums since your diary is closed.

Well it is okay to do it, for me.

What do you want to know about my fat and protein ? I don't measure it as I find that is too restrictive for me and not a healthy way of viewing food: I eat what I fancy

Typical day:
    Breakfast
    Half an avacado/boiled egg/spinach or homemade granola bar and Greek yoghurt or quinoa porridge or egg muffins
    Lunch
    Homemade veg soup with a wholemeal thin and cottage cheese or some ham and eggs or some turkey and salad ... Depends what I fancy
    Dinner
    Chicken breast/pork steak/ broccoli, cabbage, carrots/Brussels/runner beans or as much veg as I can fill my plate - maybe with some lentils or quinoa or homemade chicken curry or bolognase or tuna bake ...
    Treat at night
    Maybe a yoghurt, frozen banana ice cream or kitkat for a treat
    Loads of water

• kellysdavies
    Options

Morbidly obese patients to whom the risk of being obese is greater than the risk of low intake. That's not to say that there is no risk to low intake, just that it's been deemed worth it in those cases because the patient is likely to die of complications from their weight. Those patients work with a dietician to make sure they're getting enough nutrients, they take a ton of vitamins and supplements, and they DO lose muscle in the process. My father-in-law now has a heart condition because of the muscle he lost on one such diet.

Also if you're 128 lbs and 30% body fat it's safe to say you've lost muscle. That's normal weight obesity. It's the reason we tell people to lift, eat enough, and get enough protein. What you're doing right now is counter-productive to body composition.

I do lift. I do eat protein. But I'm not after a 'perfect' body yet. I understand what you mean about being skinny fat though and this will be my focus next.
    Like I say. I could lose another 2 stone and be in my 'healthy' range. But not aiming for that.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Well it is okay to do it, for me.

What do you want to know about my fat and protein ? I don't measure it as I find that is too restrictive for me and not a healthy way of viewing food: I eat what I fancy

Typical day:
    Breakfast
    Half an avacado/boiled egg/spinach or homemade granola bar and Greek yoghurt or quinoa porridge or egg muffins
    Lunch
    Homemade veg soup with a wholemeal thin and cottage cheese or some ham and eggs or some turkey and salad ... Depends what I fancy
    Dinner
    Chicken breast/pork steak/ broccoli, cabbage, carrots/Brussels/runner beans or as much veg as I can fill my plate - maybe with some lentils or quinoa or homemade chicken curry or bolognase or tuna bake ...
    Treat at night
    Maybe a yoghurt, frozen banana ice cream or kitkat for a treat
    Loads of water

If you're not measuring then you have no idea how much you're eating. A list isn't helpful-- there are no amounts.

And you've already pretty much proven that those saying you're losing muscle are correct, so it really doesn't matter. Do whatever you like, but don't tell others it's not unhealthy or that they aren't losing muscle if they do the same.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Sorry but yes. I'm not losing any muscle. I'm doing lots of exercise and more times than ever. Everyone is different. Just because you can it doesn't mean I can. I won't lose and even gain eating 1600 a day. Tried it. And yes I measure and weigh my food ...

How tall are you? and how old are you?

5ft1.3 and 36.

Oh look I'm 5'2 and 35, must be that magic 0.7"

if you're losing 2lbs at week with less than 10lbs to lose you are losing muscle as your boy can only lose so much fat a day.

Oh hello. Can you see my body? Can you see my body fat measurements? I could set myself a different target. I could say I want to be 7 stone 4 (still in healthy range for my height) and then I would have 2 stone to lose or 28lbs. Then you would say it is fine to lose 2lb a week. You make absolutely no sense ! Silly person.
    And. As I have stated. Muscle is improving and body fat decreasing.

Actually I wouldn't.

And in no way is your muscle improving on 1000 calories a day.

Thanks for the condescending post though. I'll leave you to your unhealthy plan.
  • Jordan
    Jordan Posts: 307 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi all! Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention. It is in fact a glitch and the team is currently working to resolve this. In the meantime if this happens, refresh your custom or guided goals once more it should go back to normal.
This discussion has been closed.