What is your resting heart rate?

Options
Since getting my Charge HR, I'm fascinated by the topic of resting heart rate.

I was surprised to find my resting heart rate is so low, around 62bpm.

I had a minor flurry of panic, thinking I had heart disease but relaxed when I saw I had none of the symptoms of pathological bradycardia - most importantly, my heart rate easily rises when exercising, no shortness of breath, chest pains, dizziness, etc.

I'm curious about this because, being obese, I'd always assumed my resting heart rate would be high, with poor heart health in general. I do exercise a lot, so I guess it's just hard work paying off.

Am curious to know what the resting heart rate of other active, obese people is, and whether it's more normal than I would have thought?

Thanks!

Replies

• blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Mine is 57 which, I was delighted to read when doing some research, classes me as an 'Athlete'!!!! x FWIW I'm 46 in May, 5ft 9" and 168lbs
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    When I started wearing mine, it was 63. After a month of working out, it's dropped to 53.
  • everythingsweet
    everythingsweet Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Mine is about 55, though it has dropped to 40. Bradycardia is definitely noticeable, I know I felt "slowed down" and very lethargic.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    At this moment sitting at my desk it is 54.

My true resting heart rate which is when you first wake is 40 to 45.
  • martinmcneely1
    martinmcneely1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I check mine regularly for training zones and it's 43. it can be anywhere between 38-50 depending on sleep/stress levels and how quickly I check it. Usually Asap when I wake but if I've forgotten and only just woken up then I'll check it. After maybe 10 mins or so I wouldn't bother because I'm up and about by that time.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    After 2 cups of coffee right now it is 54 BPM at the age of 23 (a few months from 24) so I suspect it is a bit lower when I'm completely relaxed.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    I don't have a HR monitor, but anytime I've checked my resting rate it's usually mid/high 40s-low 50s...I'd be interested to know what it is first thing in the morning though. Even when I was fat and out of shape, my HR was usually in the high 60s/low 70s
  • tbilly20
    tbilly20 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am 34 years old, 5'11" and 180 lbs. My waking HR is in the high 30's, and my HR resting, during the day, is 42-44.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    tbilly20 wrote: »
    I am 34 years old, 5'11" and 180 lbs. My waking HR is in the high 30's, and my HR resting, during the day, is 42-44.

Wut. That's pretty low...although I never checked mine after I am laying down for a long time.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning for me is around 48 to 50 when I am well rested, upper upper 50's the day after a moderate workout, upper 60's the day after a really long run or when I am ill.

One thing I like about tracking my resting heart rate daily is noticing when it is out of whack. The last time I was sick, I woke up feeling fine but had a heart rate in the upper 60's when I was actually expecting to be well rested that morning and in the 48 to 50 range. I put off my morning run because of it. Later that morning was when I starting feeling the physical symptoms of being sick. Good thing I skipped my run because there were bowel issues with that particular illness. I can only imagine how bad that run may have been.
  • Jerry1001
    Jerry1001 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    6'4" 220lbs 54 years old.
    Resting heart rate 47
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5", 34, 195. I have been super active for about 7 months now. My resting heart rate when I started was about 70 bpm. I'm down to about 50-55 bpm now.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Mine used to be REALLY high. 85-90bpm was pretty normal for me. I started taking MMA classes and that has brought it down significantly. Now it is in the low 60's.

When my heart rate was high I was still exercising 4-5 days a week with plenty of cardio. I really think that beating the hell out of stuff at the MMA studio lowers my heart rate and blood pressure because hitting things is such a good way to relieve stress, not just because of the training effect.
  • Annanna91
    Annanna91 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have a polar watch and also an app on my phone, and my resting heartrate is usually between 34-45bmp. I often think it's too low, but then I do workout quite a lot and I'm not very big (5'5, 118lbs and 23yrs old.)
  • NightShiftMedic
    NightShiftMedic Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Mine is normally anywhere from 48-56 when I'm at rest. I don't know what it is when I wake because I almost always forget to measure it then.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Mine is 45-48 at rest (it was 48 @ the dr. after I had been sitting for several minutes). I haven't taken it when I wake up. I am 63, female, weigh about 150 & am not on any medication.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,152 Member
    Options
    87 lbs ago it was in the low 100s. Now after being more active and losing this amount (so far) it's in the 60s, even upper 50s. Tracking some walking with my Charge HR shows my average HR is in the 130s, where I know it used to be in the 160-170s. Love to see the changes.
  • 31flavors
    31flavors Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Mine is around 45
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    It's fascinating to see how low they often are, keep up the good work folks!
  • aaronlewis89
    Options
    Mine is 40, last time I was in hospital the nurse commented on how low it was and if I did alot of exercise. Ive just spent a year of not doing anything (had shoulder surgery to repair the cartlidge) and its still at 43. We'll see what it is after T25 lol