So for those maintaining below 2000/day, is this a lifetime commitment?

Options

Replies

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    cloudi2 wrote: »
    Since all body functions need calories to function optimally, how long, how many years, are you willing to go on with a deficit of caloric intake to maintain your weight loss?

As others have said, if you are maintaining it's not a deficit.

I wish I could maintain on over 2000, but absent a really high level of physical activity, I cannot.

samesies
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I am sorry but if you are still looking at 2k calories and thinking of all the foods you will miss out on then you are failing. Food is not a reward, it is not a friend, it is fuel. A 20 something might need 2000 calories but a 30 something might only need 1500. A person who is 5'8" and 150lbs needs more than a 5'3" who is 110. 2000 is a stupid number based on the average which is like 5'8" and 160lbs with an average activity level. If you are not that height and weight or activity level you do not need those calories. If you are over 40 and female you do not need those calories. If you have a condition that causes you to struggle to lose weight or causes you to put on more weight that the average person, you do not need those calories. Please stop trying to shove everyone into the same box.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    So there is no article.

Gotcha. :noway:
    yes there are a few blogs and sites that dedicate themselves to this current problem and those people have done all the homework. Actually this isn't all that new in the world of research on diets inablilty to produce healthful results, as much as we have the faith that they will and spend millions trying to make it work.

Again. There are no scientific article backing your claims.

Blogs and sites are not proof.

I,m not prepared to do the research. As I said, brighter researchers that are actually in the field of nutrition and health have written reviews and studied this topic. I don't actually believe that people have to be censored just because they cant provide links to specific scientific papers. Its out there, if you dont care to search for it, its ok by me. I found it, a lot of it, and that is why I am asking for actual personal real people to share their actual real experience with dieting and maintaining at what I have read is not adequate caloric intake for robust health.

If I read here on MFP that lots of people consider themselves healthy and happy on these lesser amounts it adds to my scepticism about those papers I am reading. If people are not that healthy, they are on a lot of meds, they are excersizing more than they would like, they are hungry a lot of the time, I would like to know that too because that adds to my belief that those papers I am reading are correct!

You stated the claim - it is up to you to provide the proof.

I am not wasting my time trying to research something I know is nonsense. I've wasted enough time talking to you in the first place - and I do it for the lurkers who might learn something.

If you have read it you have already done the research so either provide a link or admit you are making stuff up.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Before 7 am every single day I log 5 miles at work. By 2pm I have another 3 miles logged.

I work outdoors. I get my exercise. Thyroid issues.

Or your metbolizm is truly bonked out from not eating enough!
    Its gotta be a tough slog for you! Wow, you have my sympathy, truly.
    I like being outside too, but shuffeling down country roads is good enough for me.
    Well, and my house is on three stories, so you know between grocery shopping on foot in this hilly town,food prep, and playing accordion ( its kinda heavy) I get somewhat of a type of workout I guess, but nothing like running, my goodness you are active! And all on those measly few calories too! :-( glad you are at least content with the results of your efforts, thats something, I guess.

Ah we have a starvation mode believer.

She's already said she has a thyroid problem, try not to scare the horses with the slow metabolism coz not eating enough myth!

Honestly if I was over 130lb I would be feeling unhealthy, I'm 5'7" but that's my opinion and Im not going to start a thread about it!

I think OP's idea is a bit off here.. A OMG the "starvation mode" again...

I am asking this question, what the hell is unhealthy? I thought being over weight or obese is unhealthy !

The OP asked about our maintenance, how long and if we accepted the new calories (you do need less calories to live when you get smaller) :(

I think this was not a question but a debate for us to have....

I CAN'T EAT 2000 calories period. My TDEE does not even get close to getting that high in needing 2000 calories a day. I would not be overweight, I would be a fat sloth!
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    The op just wants to justify the fact that they are overweight by claiming it is unhealthy to eat less that 2000 cals.

So far they have yet to provide a single link to back up their claims, not surprising as they are nonsense.

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Before 7 am every single day I log 5 miles at work. By 2pm I have another 3 miles logged.

in other words you are active and totally have a nice TDEE because of that - just like me :smiley:

pretty sure she said her tdee is still very low in spite of this.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »

in other words you are active and totally have a nice TDEE because of that - just like me :smiley:

This thread is so full of ??? I chose to ignore that one. Because if that is a nice TDEE, well.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Golly, did I say something inflammatory or what? Sheesh! Sorrrrrrrry!

Ok. Lets just say you are all correct, and I am vewy vewy wong and that eating under 2000 calories per day is proper caloric intake for maintaining your desirable body weight, or, no, as I understand it here from the most authoratative posters on this thread, that real maintenance for a women, is more like, under 1800.

My question IS: are you able and willing to undertake eating below that caloric amount of 1800 and do the physical formal excersize if that is part of your plan, FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE, AND do you feel that might have ANY impact upon your health? Or quality of life?

You are assuming that every single person out there would love to eat more than they do, and that eating to maintain a healthy weight is a struggle. Not everyone naturally falls into a pattern of becoming overweight or obese, and not everyone suffers to stay in a healthy range. Perhaps it is something you personally consider a huge sacrifice, but not everyone has the same lifestyle or the same personal preferences.
    As for quality of life, when I am not at the lowest healthy BMI, and will little body fat, which means more than 40 lbs below your weight for similar height, my health immediately suffers and my various endocrinological problem start affecting my quality of life. So, this might come as a huge surprise to you, but no, storing extra fat would not make all of us healthier (or happier).
    To be honest, I think you and my grandma are the only people I have ever heard trying to start a campaign over "the fatter, the healthier". My grandma had survived 3 wars, had spent her childhood literally starving and had seen numerous friends and relatives die from malnutrition, so I can understand her reasons. Yours, not so much...

• RoxieDawn
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

Ok. Lets just say you are all correct, and I am vewy vewy wong and that eating under 2000 calories per day is proper caloric intake for maintaining your desirable body weight, or, no, as I understand it here from the most authoratative posters on this thread, that real maintenance for a women, is more like, under 1800.

My question IS: are you able and willing to undertake eating below that caloric amount of 1800 and do the physical formal excersize if that is part of your plan, FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE, AND do you feel that might have ANY impact upon your health? Or quality of life?

You are assuming that every single person out there would love to eat more than they do, and that eating to maintain a healthy weight is a struggle. Not everyone naturally falls into a pattern of becoming overweight or obese, and not everyone suffers to stay in a healthy range. Perhaps it is something you personally consider a huge sacrifice, but not everyone has the same lifestyle or the same personal preferences.
    As for quality of life, when I am not at the lowest healthy BMI, and will little body fat, which means more than 40 lbs below your weight for similar height, my health immediately suffers and my various endocrinological problem start affecting my quality of life. So, this might come as a huge surprise to you, but no, storing extra fat would not make all of us healthier (or happier).
    To be honest, I think you and my grandma are the only people I have ever heard trying to start a campaign over "the fatter, the healthier". My grandma had survived 3 wars, had spent her childhood literally starving and had seen numerous friends and relatives die from malnutrition, so I can understand her reasons. Yours, not so much...

To the OP...... THIS!

This is spot on! VERY NICELY SAID!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options

ok, I didn't see what her TDEE is, this thread is getting too long to wade through everything.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options

ok, I didn't see what her TDEE is, this thread is getting too long to wade through everything.

I think the point has been made and over and over again. Keep the "pot" stirred up" seems be the objective now..

Can't learn any more or give more information than what has already been said. It has been 6 pages and not getting anywhere with this discussion.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options

It looks like you are in denial about something.

I'm extremely happy with my figure. I'm 5'7" 127lb 18-19% body fat, supercharged, 25" waist 37" hips (hourglass), tons of energy, never get ill, great skin, very strong bones, compete in triathlons and am strong. I'm 44.

I maintain at 1750. Get over it.

But, most days I eat 2250-2700 because of my training.

Every time I think I know best and can eat more I just.....get fat...unless I'm purposely bulking then I get fat and muscley.

You need to study more......

Hi there Springfield,
    Glad to know you are feeling healthy!

I was a low normal bmi most of my first 55 years of life just naturally. I didnt diet or watch my food intake at all, I didnt know what a bmi was! I started to gain slowly to the upper normal bmi after menopause. I dieted for the first time in my life then and maintained below 110 pounds for 5 years. I'm also 5' 7".
    I started to not feel so good, digestive problems, low energy, hair falling out. I was excersizing quite a lot, but no real major health problems came about and I wasn't put on any type of medication nor am I on any now and I don't have any health issues today.

I began to read about caloric intake in relation to health while I was at that low weight, especially I was interested in the health of those of us over 60, but also about low intake plus excersize for everyone. There was a lot of conflicting information at the time.
    Meanwhile, I found that where at first I was maintaining on around 1300 to 1400 calories, even though I kept up with excersize and even increased it, that each 6 months to a year along I had to cut more calories in order to keep my weight loss maintained. So after reducing my calorie amounts to 1200, then 1000 per day, then eventually, in order to maintain my weight at or below 110, I was only able to eat 500 to 800 calories a day and still do a lot of excersize.

Thank goodness I happened upon some reviews and some research writters who's papers, blogs, and web sites in some cases explained what was happening to me and I intentionally gained back to a weight that from whwt I read insures, as much as anything can do, my health will be robust into old age.

I am glad to be able to say that now, at age 65 those issues I had while maintaining under 110 are now gone. the nervous energy I had has resolved to calm, my hair has regrown, I have adequate energy and the digestive issues have almost all cleared up as well.

So my interest in this topic of maintenance continues to lead me to a curiosity of how other people manage to lose weight, maintain and do so without having to carry on their lives at a level of intake that to me, now, appears to be inadequate from the research and reading I have done.

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    You asked in earlier post what is your maintain weight and how long have you been at maintenance. Also you asked if I (we) are happy with that?

My answer is I am 5'4" and 46 years old and have been at maintenance for 2 months at 1400 calories. I am slightly active and exercise a little. I am perfectly happy eating at this amount.

This week I have created another deficit of off my maintenance to loose that last 7 pounds. So my maintenance will change a bit after another 5 pounds..

II look at like this.. My body does not need excess calories to function and I like being smaller a lot more than I like being a chubby girl!

Thank you very much for your post Gia! :smile:

• RoxieDawn
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My whole way of life will change when I reach 65. I am 20 years younger and I do expect age, health (physical, mental and emotional health) will all play a role in my weight, exercise and activity and hopefully life is going good with no stress..

What the hell (pardon my expression) is the question here? OP you have made up your mind on how you NEED to live (feed your self for proper nutrition and how you choose to eat) so why are bashing all the comments here. There is some sort of self served preaching to us MFP members and I am not sure why...

PS We lose weight because we eat less calories and maintain a deficit to reach our goal weight.. When we are happy with where we want to be, we learn to in crease calories to maintenance and we exercise FOR HEALTHY living....

THIS has been around for years!

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    3d486f004bc28fd1329058a522b413e6c5f40115d42ffbc8107dc1bc91ef8884.jpg

• Iron_Feline
    Options

I'm extremely happy with my figure. I'm 5'7" 127lb 18-19% body fat, supercharged, 25" waist 37" hips (hourglass), tons of energy, never get ill, great skin, very strong bones, compete in triathlons and am strong. I'm 44.

Every time I think I know best and can eat more I just.....get fat...unless I'm purposely bulking then I get fat and muscley.

Hi there Springfield,

I was a low normal bmi most of my first 55 years of life just naturally. I didnt diet or watch my food intake at all, I didnt know what a bmi was! I started to gain slowly to the upper normal bmi after menopause. I dieted for the first time in my life then and maintained below 110 pounds for 5 years. I'm also 5' 7".
    I started to not feel so good, digestive problems, low energy, hair falling out. I was excersizing quite a lot, but no real major health problems came about and I wasn't put on any type of medication nor am I on any now and I don't have any health issues today.

I began to read about caloric intake in relation to health while I was at that low weight, especially I was interested in the health of those of us over 60, but also about low intake plus excersize for everyone. There was a lot of conflicting information at the time.
    Meanwhile, I found that where at first I was maintaining on around 1300 to 1400 calories, even though I kept up with excersize and even increased it, that each 6 months to a year along I had to cut more calories in order to keep my weight loss maintained. So after reducing my calorie amounts to 1200, then 1000 per day, then eventually, in order to maintain my weight at or below 110, I was only able to eat 500 to 800 calories a day and still do a lot of excersize.

Thank goodness I happened upon some reviews and some research writters who's papers, blogs, and web sites in some cases explained what was happening to me and I intentionally gained back to a weight that from whwt I read insures, as much as anything can do, my health will be robust into old age.

I am glad to be able to say that now, at age 65 those issues I had while maintaining under 110 are now gone. the nervous energy I had has resolved to calm, my hair has regrown, I have adequate energy and the digestive issues have almost all cleared up as well.

So my interest in this topic of maintenance continues to lead me to a curiosity of how other people manage to lose weight, maintain and do so without having to carry on their lives at a level of intake that to me, now, appears to be inadequate from the research and reading I have done.

And I'm sure none of that had to do with the fact that you were underweight at 110lbs at 5'7 so having to eat very low calories to maintained your very low body weight.

Of course you felt like crap at 110lbs - that's what happens when you're underweight.

Hopefully most people here are planning to maintain at a healthy weight for their height.

• mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    OP, I am curious to know why you are a member of MFP at all. If you feel they are misleading us in someway, then what is your purpose of being a member of this fitness site?
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    @iron_feline, you have a point. 5'7" and 110 pounds is underweight. I am 5'4" and weighed 110 almost my entire life until I got older and the hormones, menopause and crap started happening!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    I've read this whole thread and I still have no idea what the hell is going on, or what OPs point is.

Agreed, but so far it's one of the more entertaining recent threads, even if it requires feeding a troll.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Hi there Springfield,

And I'm sure none of that had to do with the fact that you were underweight at 110lbs at 5'7 so having to eat very low calories to maintained your very low body weight.

Of course you felt like crap at 110lbs - that's what happens when you're underweight.

Hopefully most people here are planning to maintain at a healthy weight for their height.

Yeah, this seems like a no brainer...I'm honestly confused as to what point the OP is trying to make exactly.

I'm at a healthy weight and around 15-16% BF...I eat to fuel my activities appropriately (2600 - 3200 calories depending) and I exercise regularly. Not sure what the issue is here..most people are here to be healthy OP, not get underweight and try to maintain some super low body weight.