Weight loss and Adipex (phentermine)

Options
1235»

Replies

• Jaxsonjess
    Jaxsonjess Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The only way your stomach can shrink is through surgery.

Some of these posts remind me what i was like when i was taking phen. I typed a million miles a minutes, writing huge long posts. I couldn't stop talking lol

and you are still on here ranting.......;)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Jaxsonjess wrote: »

Some of these posts remind me what i was like when i was taking phen. I typed a million miles a minutes, writing huge long posts. I couldn't stop talking lol

Ranting!!??? Pfffttt whatever :s

• adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Jaxsonjess wrote: »

Ranting!!??? Pfffttt whatever :s

It's ok, you tried to inject some truth, doesn't look like it's sticking.
  • Jaxsonjess
    Jaxsonjess Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    She has prob wrote 100 posts on the phentermine page, it didn't work for you, but you don't have to beat everyone up that it is working for. It's the same as any medication diff people have diff side effects-I like that you told your story- but you can't think that is going to happen to everyone
  • LizBelle2015
    LizBelle2015 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It did NOTHING for me. But a friend lost weight on it.
  • SuzieA1991
    SuzieA1991 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It's not for everyone. I have been taking it for about a little over a week now. I went in for a physical and to address a few problems I have been having. I have PCOS so he put me on something to balance my hormones and then said the main way to control the PCOS is to lose weight (in my case anyway) So he suggested phentermine. The first couple of days I was so alert! Like overly alert lol! It didn't really bother me any, and I didn't have any problems sleeping. It actually made me want to go to bed at an earlier time. And I'm still not having any bad side effects except for the dry mouth...which makes me drink a crap ton of water but I see that as a great thing. I am down 7 pounds already, which I know is water weight but I'm taking it as a win! It does suppress your appetite which my doctor informed me of and he said to be sure not to go under 1200 calories or I'll basically put my body into hybernation. So...it's working for me.
  • hippydippy89
    hippydippy89 Posts: 3 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Just because your doctor prescribes you legal speed doesn't mean it's safe, as much as you try to justify it. Usually I keep my mouth shut if what I say isn't positive or nice, but I feel strongly about this.

I searched for a doc for years that would prescribe this to me. Last summer, I did. The first week I had migraine and heart palpatations, then they stopped. I started losing weight and felt a little weird physically but to me it was worth it. About 6 weeks and 12 pounds later, I started getting major anxiety and violent compulsions that were uncontrollable, aka phen rages. So scary, especially since I'm very calm, sweet person by nature. I had to stop taking it and when I did, I gained all of it back within a couple of days plus about 10 more. I couldn't control my eating, I was starving all the time. Now I'm trying to get my body back to normal and live a healthy lifestyle without drugs that I can maintain for life.

Just my experience and opinion. Very unhealthy. Will you lose weight fast? Probably. Will you keep it off? Probably not. Are you screwing up your body/hormones? Yup. Is it worth it? No. I wanted to strangle people who used to tell me this, but now I whole heartedly agree: if you want to lose weight and be healthy, eat lots of fruits and veggies, cut out the crap, drink water, and move your body.

Please be safe and listen to your bodies, people! Best of luck to everyone. :)

• jessicadawn1980
    jessicadawn1980 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree with hippydippy89. I was on it as well, and I started having major palpations. They got so bad, that I had to stop the medication. I did lose a lot of weight on the medicine, but it is so unsafe that I felt it wasn't worth it. I am getting ready to graduate from Nursing school and am obsessed with analyzing things. I started doing a lot of research on this medication and it is very bad! Heart problems are a side effect and once the damage is done it is irreversible. I know PCOS is hard. I was diagnosed at 18 and I am 34 years old. I have struggled for so long. The fact is, we have to change our eating habits and exercise. Just have to. There is no quick fix pill. Believe me, if there were, I would've found it. My advise to you is to look on youtube and you can find women who have totally gotten rid of their symptoms by clean eating. Yoga, Zumba, Meditation, oil pulling are all ways to help. Check it out and good luck to ya hun!
  • Team_Hound
    Team_Hound Posts: 5
    edited April 2015
    Options
    In all honesty here, how many people that are considered morbidly obese only gained the weight because they were hungry? And how many gained the weight because they are using food as a way to self-medicate, just like some people may choose drugs or alcohol or gambling or whatever?
    I see no point in taking a pill, because in all honesty if you have to eat less and move more while taking the pill for it to work, why not just eat less and move more without a pill?
    My doctor gave me Topomax for migraines, and pointed out that one happy side effect could be weight loss. I took one dose at night before bed and woke up the next day so out-of-it and high I don't even remember being at work - I felt like I burned about 10 joints then went to work. My point to that - medications have different side effects on different people - phentermine may cause some people's livers to rot and fall out, and other people's livers will be fine.
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for advice on phentermine, I suggest you pay more attention to people that took it and have finished using it, vs people who are currently taking it and haven't experienced the full effects (good or bad) over a period of time. I thought it was great for the most part when I was taking it. Not so great afterwards.
  • KaysKidz
    KaysKidz Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I took phentermine for a long time. Yes, I lost a lot of weight, over 100lbs. I had good intentions of "staying on track" and keeping the weight off. Yeah, that didn't work out so well. I gained it ALL back....and now I'm doing it the old fashioned way. Watching what I eat, tracking my meals etc. And guess what? I'm almost 46yrs old and I've lost over 11lbs in just over 3 weeks. I have a loooong way to go, but this has been the best thing for me. I am taking pride in doing this on my own! I know what it's like to desperately want to lose weight. I know how daunting it can be. But l can tell you from personal experience, don't do it. I lost so much muscle when I lost my weight on phentermine. Even though I was heavy, I had nice legs. Now, I have cottage cheese thighs. :( Tracking your food on MFP is one of the BEST and FREE tools available. It is enlightening to see what you are eating, what you can afford to eat before you eat it. I'm not starving the way I'm eating. For my weight and height, I'm allowed almost 1900 calories a day and that is to lose weight! You have to find your new forever. And phentermine is not it.