Weight loss and Adipex (phentermine)

Options

Replies

• veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    I'm on Adipex for nearly a month now...My blood pressure has gone up, but I have high blood pressure anyway. This has just made me take my blood pressure meds regularly now.

Have you told your doctor about this? My mother-in-law developed a heart problem while taking a similar version of this stuff. This isn't something you want to play around with.

Yes, my doc started me on a 7 day trial to see what my pressure would do. It went up so he took me off for more than a week while I got on a daily dosage of meds to control my blood pressure. I am monitoring it daily, since the BP meds it is Within normal range. I'm taking the max dosage some days, some days I take 1/2 pill, other days I skip all together. He has me on 1200-1300 calorie deficit with exercise goal of burning 300 calories 3X/week.

Wait, so you are taking another medication (for high blood pressure) to control something that is a side effect of the diet pill? So you would rather take two unneeded medications, instead of stopping the one causing the issue?

Seriously....

Also the whole tylenol thing...ya it can hurt you....if you freaking take too much or take it for prolonged periods of time... you cannot compare tylenol to a diet pill...

Everyone struggles while trying to lose weight....it bums me out that doctors prescribe this *kitten*. It actually shocks me.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    I'm on Adipex for nearly a month now...My blood pressure has gone up, but I have high blood pressure anyway. This has just made me take my blood pressure meds regularly now.

Have you told your doctor about this? My mother-in-law developed a heart problem while taking a similar version of this stuff. This isn't something you want to play around with.

Yes, my doc started me on a 7 day trial to see what my pressure would do. It went up so he took me off for more than a week while I got on a daily dosage of meds to control my blood pressure. I am monitoring it daily, since the BP meds it is Within normal range. I'm taking the max dosage some days, some days I take 1/2 pill, other days I skip all together. He has me on 1200-1300 calorie deficit with exercise goal of burning 300 calories 3X/week.

Wait, so you are taking another medication (for high blood pressure) to control something that is a side effect of the diet pill? So you would rather take two unneeded medications, instead of stopping the one causing the issue?

Seriously....

Also the whole tylenol thing...ya it can hurt you....if you freaking take too much or take it for prolonged periods of time... you cannot compare tylenol to a diet pill...

Everyone struggles while trying to lose weight....it bums me out that doctors prescribe this *kitten*. It actually shocks me.

My concern with Phetermine is it can easily become addictive and abused. Tylenol and Ibuprofen do not cause addiction- unless someone wants to try to prove me wrong.

Do people really learn on this pill? Like proper nutrition and portion control?
  • veganbettie
    Options
    ^ good point as well.

This makes me sad.

I've struggled all my life to lose weight. it's hard. and it sucks. and sometimes it doesn't work. but generally provided you don't have medical issues, if you do it right, it will happen.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Isn't Phetermine one half of fen-phen, which killed a bunch of people?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Yep. (I know I said I was leaving and I am, but felt the need to answer this).
  • Azexas
    Options

Why yes it is
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Bad idea. Get off the crap right now.
  • sonjas0531
    sonjas0531 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Actually no....The FDA ordered fenfluramine and dexfenfluramine off the market in September 1997 after those drugs were linked to heart valve problems. Fenfluramine was one of the ingredients in "fen-phen," and dexfenfluramine is closely related to fenfluramine. The "phen" in fen-phen refers to a drug called phentermine, which wasn't banned.
  • Azexas
    Options
    sonjas0531 wrote: »
    Actually no....The FDA ordered fenfluramine and dexfenfluramine off the market in September 1997 after those drugs were linked to heart valve problems. Fenfluramine was one of the ingredients in "fen-phen," and dexfenfluramine is closely related to fenfluramine. The "phen" in fen-phen refers to a drug called phentermine, which wasn't banned.

so it is one half the drug...which is what the person asked, not which one was banned.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I posted this on the other thread. Phentermine support and info forum. https://duromineforum.com/
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I'm curious on how many calories per day those of you on phen are eating? And no fudging or bumping them up :wink: :wink:

I'm averaging 1500 per day. I'd also like to add that I am currently dosing "down" now, after discussing doing so with my MD. I am now taking half of the 37.5 mg dose. I think the least calories I've consumed has been about 900 or 1000, and I was down with a cold, which I'd have issues eating during this time anyway. There are days I've eaten over 2,000 as well.

I do believe anything can be addictive, yes, even ibuprofen. An actual case I've seen of someone being addicted, I don't have one. But I think anything can, especially something made of chemicals, as are all drugs.

I'm on mobile, and getting a little lost in the thread, but to the post about SCH IV meds, do you consider those okay: i.e: ambien for insomnia?

I'm by no means condoning any type of medication for a long term duration for a problem that can be resolved with effective coping mechanisms, nor am I trying to open a can of worms, honestly.

I work in a medical department of a jail, so naturally, I see a lot of drug abuse. I have told patients that they "really need to leave those pills/booze alone, there's other things in life that can make you feel good or help you".

A Xanax for a short time while dealing with issues? Sure. But taking it three or four times a day for a lifetime? No. Learn how to cope, talk to people, find outlets. Don't cover your issues with a pill.

Some norco or Tylenol 3 after an accident or meniscus repair? Absolutely. But when you take it every 4 hours 10 years later, there's an issue.

As I said before, I spoke with the physician before we tried this route. If someone only looked at my labs and vitals, and didn't see me, they wouldn't know I am obese. Those are wonderful. We, along with a nutritionist, discussed foods, exercise, and potential side effects. I see him monthly, and we talk about if I've had any side effects (none other than dry mouth), my progress, and what my next "mini-goal" is. I asked him at the most recent visit would it be safe to drop my dosing for two weeks, then stop, and he agreed I was ready. No drug is a "miracle"--not narcotics, not probiotics, not NSAIDs.

As with any drug, anyone considering adipex should absolutely proceed with caution, make sure they are healthy enough to take it, and make themselves very aware of any signs or symptoms of reactions.

And while I don't consider this a "quick fix", it DID help me in my mindless grazing out of boredom, or eating that entire italian dish simply because it was there. I am more aware of portions, think about the nutrients in my body, and I feel that I now eat to live, instead of live to eat.

Next week, I will stop taking the medication. Anyone else who is taking it, I do suggest coming off of it sooner than later. Because as someone stated above, you will NOT live your entire life on this med and eating way too low calories. Or you shouldn't!
  • jenlo1971
    jenlo1971 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    We also give our children stimulant medications. We give people with psychiatric disorders addictive drugs such as Xanax, we give folks with chronic pain Lortab. I have chronic pain and I take gabapentin- not a controlled substance, yet I know many people that abuse it. Coricidin is commonly abused in our high schools. People will abuse anything if they really want to.

With all medications you have to weigh the benefits vs the risks. I've lost 12 pounds on phentermine in the 6 weeks or so that I've been taking. I can't tell you how many calories I've consumed as I just started mfo four days ago. My calorie goal is 1200. My blood pressure fell into the normal range for the first time in a couple of years the other week at my checkup. It dropped because I've lost the weight. My pain has also let up a little since I've lost the 12 pounds. I eat 3 meals a day typically- except sometimes on the weekends when I have 2 because I make one of them a larger restaurant meal.

My doctor is completely awesome and my guess is that she is more knowledgable than all of you passing judgment on those of us that are taking it. We have a plan, I'm following it while I am making lifestyle changes. I think many of us that are overweight have been shamed at one point or another- so sad that we come to a place in which we can work on improving our health and others criticize choices in which they are honestly not qualified to make- unless one of you is an md?

Anyone who would like support- whether you are or are not on phentermine feel free to add me.
  • KrisAZ000
    KrisAZ000 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    @KrisAZ000‌ how many calories do you eat daily?
    I asked this above, but no one bothered replying..

I ate 1200 when I was taking it. In the first few weeks, when my appetite was really small, I ate high calorie things like peanut butter to get in the 1200.
  • jkincaid82
    Options
    I'm trying to eat 1200 but have only been on for 5 days and I'm barely reaching 1000 but I have lost 3.6 lbs.

• stephnic4
    stephnic4 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I took adipex.... i loved the energy, i lost 25lbs in 5 weeks, i was never hungry. But then i got cut off bcuz i lost so much weight. I couldn't stay awake and i was constantly starving. I started craving things like big macs, whoppers, things ive never even liked or eaten. Needless to say the pounds came faster than they went. I lost my sex drive coming off the meds and was so lazy and uninvolved
  • lexnichole1330
    lexnichole1330 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I took Phentermine 6 years ago and lost 25 pounds and NEVER gained it back until after I had two babies back to back. I used the pills in conjunction with weight watchers and changed my eating habits PERMANENTLY. Those of you who don't take it shouldn't be commenting. As with any diet, with or without pills, if the eating habits aren't sustainable, the results won't last. If you don't make sure you eat right then of course, duh, you will gain back when you stop the pill and your energy will be drastically low if you relied on the pill for energy and weren't eating enough calories. Before you wean off and increase your calories (healthy calories) gradually to sustain your desired weight and make your choices reasonable. Something you can maintain afterwards. Your appetite doesn't mysteriously bounce back if you have been eating healthily while on the pill. Of course if you are starving yourself you will be ravenous after. Don't blame the pill for everything. It's a tool. Just like anything else there are risks. And the person who said it's so dangerous...it's only a schedule 2 drug. Anything can deem you impaired to drive. Even Benadryl. Do your research don't just blurt out random facts to make a point. People are looking for help not judgement. In my opinion the pill works wonderfully and you are no less of a person if you use it to aid you in making healthier decisions for the long term.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I took Phentermine 6 years ago and lost 25 pounds and NEVER gained it back until after I had two babies back to back. I used the pills in conjunction with weight watchers and changed my eating habits PERMANENTLY. Those of you who don't take it shouldn't be commenting. As with any diet, with or without pills, if the eating habits aren't sustainable, the results won't last. If you don't make sure you eat right then of course, duh, you will gain back when you stop the pill and your energy will be drastically low if you relied on the pill for energy and weren't eating enough calories. Before you wean off and increase your calories (healthy calories) gradually to sustain your desired weight and make your choices reasonable. Something you can maintain afterwards. Your appetite doesn't mysteriously bounce back if you have been eating healthily while on the pill. Of course if you are starving yourself you will be ravenous after. Don't blame the pill for everything. It's a tool. Just like anything else there are risks. And the person who said it's so dangerous...it's only a schedule 2 drug. Anything can deem you impaired to drive. Even Benadryl. Do your research don't just blurt out random facts to make a point. People are looking for help not judgement. In my opinion the pill works wonderfully and you are no less of a person if you use it to aid you in making healthier decisions for the long term.

Wow, pleasant, aren't you?

Re the bold part above: you're the exception to the rule.

You don't get to control who posts.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I am currently taking phentermine and Topomax as appetite suppressants. I have been on them a week. My mother-in-law took them for a year and lost 60 pounds.

This is essentially a generic equivalent of Qysmia, which is the same medication in a time-release formulation but is much, much more expensive.

I take a single phentermine capsule in the morning, and I take the Topomax twice a day.

The first day I did not hit 1000 calories, but now I'm hitting 1500 without much difficulty.

Back in the 1990's I lost 60 pounds using Redux before they took it off the market.

Yes, there are risks with any drug. However, there are also risks with being obese. It is a trade-off. After consultation with a doctor, I have gotten the prescription to try this. The phentermine makes me jittery and thirsty. After my initial 30 days I may ask for a reduced dose of this one.

As for the idea of using drugs to lose weight, more and more doctors are coming to the conclusion that most people simply will not lose weight through willpower. The old mantra of "eat less and exercise more" will not work for most people.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/landia/article/PIIS2213-8587(15)00009-1/abstract

You have to register to read the complete article above but it is free to do so.

The upshot is that when you become obese for some period of time it permanently changes your body. Your body will adapt to the new fat level and will fight to preserve it, and this effect may be permanent. Any attempt to lose weight will be countered by your body reducing its metabolism by some 15-20% and increasing hunger. This is done as a defensive mechanism to drive fat stores back to their previous levels.

What this means is that when you lose weight your metabolism will be 15-20% less than someone of the same weight who was never obese. This means that not only do you have to learn to eat less, but you must make due with 15-20% less food than would be normal for your weight. Most people can't tolerate this long term.

The only known cure for the neural and hormonal responsivities involved in this process is bariatric surgery. Weight loss drugs typically will result in weight gain when the drug usage is suspended.

However, this is exactly what we would expect if a blood pressure or diabetic patient stops taking their medication, also - the condition returns.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I don't understand when people say "you have to learn a new eating habit and the drug won't help you with that".

New habits typically take, what, a month to form? If you are on the drug for a month and you aren't eating for a month you should have formed new eating habits.

The reason why you go back to eating your old way after stopping the weight loss drugs is not because of eating habits. It is because your body amps up hunger and reduces metabolism to try and return fat stores to their previous high level. This effect may be permanent.

• veganbettie
    Options
    eating habits are simply your hand putting food to your mouth. It has nothing to do with hunger or metabolism.

When cutting calories to lose weight people are often "hungry" because they aren't used to the feeling of simply not being completely over stuffed all the time. People nowadays don't know when to stop, don't know when to say no, don't understand the difference between hunger/full/stuffed/not hungry. People eat to eat. To fill a void of some sort. That's why people "need" these drugs. To trick themselves because they can't figure out if they are actually hungry or not.

Your appetite is different than feeling actual hunger, your appetite is what you want to eat regardless of hunger.

Once people get off these drugs, unless they have changed the way they think about food or the way they can control their appetite, they will gain the weight back. It's that simple. And you don't NEED the drug to learn those habits. It's a tool, and a dangerous one at that.

If you want to use it fine. I get it. But no one NEEDS it. And it's not safe to put that sort of stuff in your body.