Weight loss and Adipex (phentermine)

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I set my alarm for 4am just to take the pill. It didn't make a difference, I still couldn't sleep.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Trust me, I am taking it for as short a time as possible. It is helping though. I was at a total stand still no matter what I did. I am finally losing a little. It is hard to get enough food throughout the day. I have to make myself eat 3 meals a day. Would taking a multi-vitamin help with not eating so much?

You do understand that once you stop taking this diet pill/appetite suppressant, you will regain the weight you lost because you will start eating more calories due to the return of your appetite…… right?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    DjinnMarie wrote: »
    I can't believe doctors still prescribe what is essentially amphetamines for weight loss.

It's frightening. Some want a quick fix and don't want to put in the effort it takes to lose weight naturally. They'd rather rely on a pill to suppress their appetite. Then they wonder why they regain all the weight they lost when they stop taking the pills… *mindboggling* :|
  • KrisAZ000
    KrisAZ000 Posts: 76 Member
    Options

You do understand that once you stop taking this diet pill/appetite suppressant, you will regain the weight you lost because you will start eating more calories due to the return of your appetite…… right?

Says who? I've continued to lose and know other people who have as well. I went from overweight to the top of my healthy weight range while on phen. Since then, I've lost an additional 19 pounds without it, surpassing all other past weight loss efforts by 5 pounds already and still losing.

Besides, I don't see how getting a little help in the beginning with appetite control counts as a quick fix and not putting in any effort. According to your logic, I've made no effort then since I took phen previously, and all my calorie counting and deficits and 5-6 days a week of working out don't count. Just because it's not the right choice *for you* doesn't mean it doesn't work *for anyone*. Mind boggling that we're all different and might find success in different ways!
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I was on the duramine (phen) forum, and I did notice a lot of return customers, kinda like weight watchers.
    To those of you who this is working for. I wish you the best of luck and future health :)
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Trust me, I am taking it for as short a time as possible. It is helping though. I was at a total stand still no matter what I did. I am finally losing a little. It is hard to get enough food throughout the day. I have to make myself eat 3 meals a day. Would taking a multi-vitamin help with not eating so much?

Not if it assists with helping you with portion control. Example: I never did like unsweetened tea. I gradually added less sugar each time I made a gallon, and now I drink it unsweetened. Because I learned it by habit. Using something that a DOCTOR(which I am assuming none of you have received your MD degree) has evaluated you for and has deemed appropriate for a short term use is not a quick fix. Liposuction, gastric, yes, those are quick fixes and do not address the underlying issue, which is overeating. Now, if they KEEP a patient on a medication to aid with their overeating, that's wrong, and more than likely, the physician is just a pill pusher, and possibly getting a kickback from the pharmaceutical company.

If that's the case, to everyone that pops Xanax or Klonopin 2-4 times a day to deal with their anxiety, stop using that as a quick fix to deal with your emotional issues.
  • MalekaSparkle
    MalekaSparkle Posts: 18 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    I'm on Adipex for nearly a month now...My blood pressure has gone up, but I have high blood pressure anyway. This has just made me take my blood pressure meds regularly now.

Have you told your doctor about this? My mother-in-law developed a heart problem while taking a similar version of this stuff. This isn't something you want to play around with.

Yes, my doc started me on a 7 day trial to see what my pressure would do. It went up so he took me off for more than a week while I got on a daily dosage of meds to control my blood pressure. I am monitoring it daily, since the BP meds it is Within normal range. I'm taking the max dosage some days, some days I take 1/2 pill, other days I skip all together. He has me on 1200-1300 calorie deficit with exercise goal of burning 300 calories 3X/week.
  • MalekaSparkle
    MalekaSparkle Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When I first started I experienced chills after day 3 and elevated Blood Pressure, I stopped taking the meds and met with the doc. It's been nearly a month now, with 12 lb lost. I was really hoping to have lost more given I'm 200 plus pounds and on such a restrictive calorie diet.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    OP I would communicate with your doctor if you experience any side effects, no matter how small they seem. I'm sure your doctor gave you a list, but just in case http://www.drugs.com/sfx/phentermine-side-effects.html

Please read up on portion control and proper calorie intake for when you stop taking the pills. May help you in the long run. Please be careful as this can be habit forming.
  • gaurdgoose
    gaurdgoose Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am not on Phentermine. I am on Qsymia which has it in it. I have lost 18 pounds in last 3 weeks. Again under doctors supervision. Works for me but does not for everyone
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Here's a newbie help post with links to useful info including sexypants, accurate weighing & logging of food, realistic goal setting, etc.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-08-10-newbie-help-post-685689

Use the appetite-suppressant for a few months, until you've learned to eat normal portions.
    For me, it reset my appetite to a normal level. It was _amazing_!! I wasn't always hungry.
    Had no side effects other than mildly increased blood pressure.
    The pill is not magic, it's not going to lose the weight for you. You still have to control how much you're eating and work to exercise away calories.
    But it is wonderful to not be hungry all the time while you're learning what to do.
    51637601.png
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    I'm on Adipex for nearly a month now...My blood pressure has gone up, but I have high blood pressure anyway. This has just made me take my blood pressure meds regularly now.

Have you told your doctor about this? My mother-in-law developed a heart problem while taking a similar version of this stuff. This isn't something you want to play around with.

Yes, my doc started me on a 7 day trial to see what my pressure would do. It went up so he took me off for more than a week while I got on a daily dosage of meds to control my blood pressure. I am monitoring it daily, since the BP meds it is Within normal range. I'm taking the max dosage some days, some days I take 1/2 pill, other days I skip all together. He has me on 1200-1300 calorie deficit with exercise goal of burning 300 calories 3X/week.

Wait, so you are taking another medication (for high blood pressure) to control something that is a side effect of the diet pill? So you would rather take two unneeded medications, instead of stopping the one causing the issue?
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I'm curious on how many calories per day those of you on phen are eating? And no fudging or bumping them up :wink: :wink:
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Just remember that when you stop taking it, your appetite will come back
    fatfree wrote:
    once you stop taking this diet pill/appetite suppressant, you will regain the weight you lost because you will start eating more calories due to the return of your appetite
    Not true. I had no such problem. My appetite appears to have been reset to (what my doctor tells me is) a normal level.
    marie wrote:
    I can't believe doctors still prescribe what is essentially amphetamines for weight loss
    It's related to amphetamines, yes, but not closely.
    And it's not for weight loss, it's for appetite control. The pill doesn't do anything other than control appetite. The person still has to decide to eat less (which is easier when not constantly hungry) and exercise more.
    SLL wrote:
    I encourage you to try a calorie deficit without the diet pills
    fatfree wrote:
    Some want a quick fix and don't want to put in the effort it takes to lose weight naturally. They'd rather rely on a pill to suppress their appetite
    It's not a "diet pill". It's an appetite suppressant.
    If someone were in pain, would you tell them not to take a tylenol, or imitrex, or morphine, just because you believe they shouldn't take medicine? Because it's better to suffer through the pain & make it go away by willpower?
    I doubt it. And they shouldn't listen to you if you did.
    Constant hunger is another kind of pain.

And it's not a "quick fix". The person still has to eat appropriate portions & do some exercise. Losing weight is slow, unless you count amputation or liposuction (or the malnutrition coming from stomach surgery).
    phoenix wrote:
    You're essentially robbing yourself of time that could have been spent learning new habits
    No, she's giving her body the relief it needs (not being constantly hungry) in order to LEARN new habits!
    Maleka wrote:
    It's been nearly a month now, with 12 lb lost. I was really hoping to have lost more given I'm 200 plus pounds and on such a restrictive calorie diet
    12 lb in a month is amazing. Good for you! Maybe you need to talk with your doctor about setting realistic goals?
    Slow & steady is the way to do it.
    I've only recently gotten under 200 lb, and have been aiming for 1400 cal for several months now, plus exercising probably at least 3500 cal / week, usually more. I'm around 5'9" to 5'10" depending on when I'm measured.
    elphie wrote:
    I can not support taking an unnecessary medication that can kill someone
    ANY medication has listed as a side effect possible death.
    The possibility of that happening varies by medicine.
    The doctor who prescribed the phentermine considers the danger (small, not certain) from the medicine and the danger (certain, already happening, and probable) from the person remaining obese.

Or maybe you're thinking of the old fen-phen combination that caused heart problems?
    (Someone else said her mother fell into that.)
    That's why it's no longer used. Only the safe medicine is allowed.

And again, who are you to say that controlling someone's pain is "unnecessary"? :angry:
  • elphie754
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    fatfree wrote:
    once you stop taking this diet pill/appetite suppressant, you will regain the weight you lost because you will start eating more calories due to the return of your appetite
    Not true. I had no such problem. My appetite appears to have been reset to (what my doctor tells me is) a normal level.
    marie wrote:
    I can't believe doctors still prescribe what is essentially amphetamines for weight loss
    And it's not for weight loss, it's for appetite control. The pill doesn't do anything other than control appetite. The person still has to decide to eat less (which is easier when not constantly hungry) and exercise more.
    SLL wrote:
    fatfree wrote:
    Some want a quick fix and don't want to put in the effort it takes to lose weight naturally. They'd rather rely on a pill to suppress their appetite
    If someone were in pain, would you tell them not to take a tylenol, or imitrex, or morphine, just because you believe they shouldn't take medicine? Because it's better to suffer through the pain & make it go away by willpower?

And it's not a "quick fix". The person still has to eat appropriate portions & do some exercise. Losing weight is slow, unless you count amputation or liposuction (or the malnutrition coming from stomach surgery).
    phoenix wrote:
    You're essentially robbing yourself of time that could have been spent learning new habits
    No, she's giving her body the relief it needs (not being constantly hungry) in order to LEARN new habits!
    Maleka wrote:
    It's been nearly a month now, with 12 lb lost. I was really hoping to have lost more given I'm 200 plus pounds and on such a restrictive calorie diet
    12 lb in a month is amazing. Good for you! Maybe you need to talk with your doctor about setting realistic goals?
    I've only recently gotten under 200 lb, and have been aiming for 1400 cal for several months now, plus exercising probably at least 3500 cal / week, usually more. I'm around 5'9" to 5'10" depending on when I'm measured.
    elphie wrote:
    The doctor who prescribed the phentermine considers the danger (small, not certain) from the medicine and the danger (certain, already happening, and probable) from the person remaining obese.

Or maybe you're thinking of the old fen-phen combination that caused heart problems?

And again, who are you to say that controlling someone's pain is "unnecessary"? :angry:

Nope. Phentermine has more than a "small" risk. It has a pretty significant risk. It also doesn't just control appetite. It is pretty much a low dose of speed. It raises your heart rate (in most people) and more often than not causes insomnia. In fact, in most states, above a certain level is considered impaired driving.
  • KrisAZ000
    KrisAZ000 Posts: 76 Member
    Options

Nope. Phentermine has more than a "small" risk. It has a pretty significant risk. It also doesn't just control appetite. It is pretty much a low dose of speed. It raises your heart rate (in most people) and more often than not causes insomnia. In fact, in most states, above a certain level is considered impaired driving.

Almost all medications come with risks. Even things like ibuprofen. Yet most people still take medications when needed or as prescribed by their doctor. If a medical professional thinks there is more benefit than risk, who are you to say they're wrong?

Phen is NOTHING like being on speed. A Red Bull would make me feel more amped than phen ever did. A raised heart rate is not indicative of something being high risk or similar to speed. If that were the case, I guess we should all stop exercising since a raised heart rate is so risky for us.

Your last point, about impaired driving, doesn't even make sense. Too much NyQuil could cause someone to be considered impaired. I can't drive if I take Benadryl because it makes me woozy, many prescription pain killers cannot be taken when driving, etc etc. Should we all suffer through every cold, allergy, or pain simply because a very high dose of medicine is considered impaired driving?

It's amusing that people on here are so positive that they know everything about something that they've never tried, and are convinced they know more than someone's doctor knows about what's best for someone. It's also funny how they go out of their way to try to contradict people who actually have tried it and have had success with.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    fatfree wrote:
    marie wrote:
    SLL wrote:
    fatfree wrote:

phoenix wrote:
    Maleka wrote:
    elphie wrote:

Diet pill, appetite suppressant, you're splitting hairs.

If it suppresses your appetite while taking it, it make sense our appetite will come back once you quit using it.

It seems to me you are trying to derail with your "hunger is pain" comment. There's a whole other thread on that.
  • elphie754
    edited February 2015
    Options
    KrisAZ000 wrote: »

Almost all medications come with risks. Even things like ibuprofen. Yet most people still take medications when needed or as prescribed by their doctor. If a medical professional thinks there is more benefit than risk, who are you to say they're wrong?

Phen is NOTHING like being on speed. A Red Bull would make me feel more amped than phen ever did. A raised heart rate is not indicative of something being high risk or similar to speed. If that were the case, I guess we should all stop exercising since a raised heart rate is so risky for us.

Your last point, about impaired driving, doesn't even make sense. Too much NyQuil could cause someone to be considered impaired. I can't drive if I take Benadryl because it makes me woozy, many prescription pain killers cannot be taken when driving, etc etc. Should we all suffer through every cold, allergy, or pain simply because a very high dose of medicine is considered impaired driving?

It's amusing that people on here are so positive that they know everything about something that they've never tried, and are convinced they know more than someone's doctor knows about what's best for someone. It's also funny how they go out of their way to try to contradict people who actually have tried it and have had success with.

Okay. I guess you know everything. It is amusing how some people thing that the presence of a prescription makes the drug more safe.

Just so you know, Phentermine is a class IV medication in the US. Other medications in this class are Xanax, valium, ambien etc. If you were caught driving with these medications on board, you could be charged with driving while impaired. So yes it does make sense.

Side note: I have treated a few PTs who had negative reactions to this including hallucinations as well as heart attacks. I had a pt who died in the ER due to a heart dysrrhythmia caused by the medication.

Eta- done with this thread. If people want to risk permanent heart damage, so be it.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    @KrisAZ000‌ how many calories do you eat daily?
    I asked this above, but no one bothered replying..