Weight loss and Adipex (phentermine)

Options
I am new to fitness pal and just started taking Adipex on Friday. Any help would be appreciated. Friend requests are welcome as well.

Replies

• crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Make sure you eat while you are on that stuff. Took it a long time ago and I just had no appetite at all. Lots of water too.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Please reconsider taking medication for weightloss. While you and your physician are the only two who can decide what is right for you, these medications can cause more harm than good.
  • tracylollar
    Options
    Trust me, I am taking it for as short a time as possible. It is helping though. I was at a total stand still no matter what I did. I am finally losing a little. It is hard to get enough food throughout the day. I have to make myself eat 3 meals a day. Would taking a multi-vitamin help with not eating so much?
  • KrisAZ000
    KrisAZ000 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Try cutting down your dosage. You might be able to take less to get the help you need while still being able to eat. Make sure to drink tons of water since phentermine can dehydrate you. Also, keep an eye on your blood pressure. Phen is known to raise it. I personally didn't have that issue, but I have fairly low blood pressure to begin with. I had great success with it, it curbed my big appetite and helped reduce cravings.
  • MalekaSparkle
    MalekaSparkle Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm on Adipex for nearly a month now. I, too, struggled to eat my daily calorie allowance of 1200 on a full pill. I take the full pill every other day or go with 1/2 pill a day . Your mouth will crave water. Im exercising as well. My blood pressure has gone up, but I have high blood pressure anyway. This has just made me take my blood pressure meds regularly now.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    My doctor prescribed that for me last year "to jump start" my weight loss. It did because I wasn't hungry, but it felt like I was on speed all day. Couldn't sleep at night and I was tired all the time. And it does make you constantly thirsty. She would only give me a 30 day supply since (like most drugs) the negative effects are that it's hard on the internal organs or something. I never finished it because I hated how it made me feel, even cutting back to half a pill a day. When I stopped taking it, I gained the weight back (but that was due to a lot of stress at the time... I'm an emotional eater).

If it helps you get motivated by losing the first few pounds, take the opportunity now to develop a healthy, smart way to live and eat, then go for it. Just remember that when you stop taking it, your appetite will come back, so make sure you are eating enough while you are on it. That was where I failed, by not having a plan (or motivation) to change my eating habits when I stopped taking it.
  • Tishj330
    Tishj330 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was just prescribed that by my doctor on Wednesday. I'd value your support and help as well. Anyone who is or has used this in the past, please feel free to add me :)
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    @Tishj330, I am currently taking adipex. Yes, it can cause harm to the body (as can Tylenol. That can kill you, you know!), but if it was determined by your physician, and you have a legal script for it lol, there is no harm or anything, providing you keep an eye on your vital signs as previously stated. It will cause dry mouth, which, IMO, helps me get my water in. ;). Also, you will NOT be hungry, but you HAVE to eat. Seriously, set a reminder like an alarm on your phone or whatever. It may help you control overeating, sure, but you have to remember to fuel your body!
    (I've lost 24 pounds in 2 months!)
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I can't believe doctors still prescribe what is essentially amphetamines for weight loss.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    @Tishj330, I am currently taking adipex. Yes, it can cause harm to the body (as can Tylenol. That can kill you, you know!), but if it was determined by your physician, and you have a legal script for it lol, there is no harm or anything, providing you keep an eye on your vital signs as previously stated. It will cause dry mouth, which, IMO, helps me get my water in. ;). Also, you will NOT be hungry, but you HAVE to eat. Seriously, set a reminder like an alarm on your phone or whatever. It may help you control overeating, sure, but you have to remember to fuel your body!

100% false. Just because one has a prescription for something does not automatically make it safe. Also, it can do organ damage without ever changing vital signs. Your vitals signs really can not determine is there is or isn't internal damage taking place.

Many people are prescribed narcotics legally (oxycodone, vicodin, percocet) and these can KILL you. But by your logic, if they have a prescription they magically become safe. There are also many drugs that can cause liver damage and/or kidney damage. By the time you see the symptoms of the damage, it is usually too late, which is why certain medications require routine blood work.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    And as I stated earlier, Tylenol can as well. We should Get blood work done for that, too, yes?

I see no issue with using something short term to suppress appetite if deemed appropriate by a licensed physician. Generally, labs such as a cbc and cmp are performed when a medication is prescribed to someone (other than say, antibiotics).

There's no medication that doesn't come with page-long side effects. Buying something online, especially a controlled substance, without talking to your physician to deem if you're healthy enough? I'd never condone that. Nor would I ever suggest taking something such as that long term as a maintenance method to suppress appetite.

At my last doctors appointment, I spoke with the nutritionist, and we evaluated my intake, what I've improved on, and what I need to work on. Then I told the physician that during this month, I intend to taper down on dosing, as I will make this my last month.
  • KrisAZ000
    KrisAZ000 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different of course, but I didn't have any of the negative side effects that others mention other than dry mouth. The first day or two I felt petty amped up, but nothing like being on speed. More like the feeling of having an energy drink. After that it wore down to the equivalent feeling of a cup of coffee. No biggie. I took it in the morning, so no sleeplessness or anything.

It was a great jump start to get me on track. My doctor told me right from the beginning that I would not be given any refills once my weight reached the top of the healthy range for my height, so I knew from the start not to think of it as a long term solution. I continued to lose weight without it, but I'm thankful that it helped me control my appetite in the early days.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    DjinnMarie wrote: »
    I can't believe doctors still prescribe what is essentially amphetamines for weight loss.

This.
    elphie754 wrote: »

100% false. Just because one has a prescription for something does not automatically make it safe. Also, it can do organ damage without ever changing vital signs. Your vitals signs really can not determine is there is or isn't internal damage taking place.

Many people are prescribed narcotics legally (oxycodone, vicodin, percocet) and these can KILL you. But by your logic, if they have a prescription they magically become safe. There are also many drugs that can cause liver damage and/or kidney damage. By the time you see the symptoms of the damage, it is usually too late, which is why certain medications require routine blood work.

And this.

OP, I encourage you to try a calorie deficit without the diet pills. They won't work anyway unless you eat at a calorie deficit.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

^this

Also, you asked if multivitamins could make up for your lack of intake.

NO.

Calories are a unit of energy. You need x amount to function properly. You've shut down your bodies ability to tell you it needs food. You're essentially robbing yourself of time that could have been spent learning new habits and potentially putting yourself at risk, all for what? A number on a scale?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I'm on Adipex for nearly a month now...My blood pressure has gone up, but I have high blood pressure anyway. This has just made me take my blood pressure meds regularly now.

Have you told your doctor about this? My mother-in-law developed a heart problem while taking a similar version of this stuff. This isn't something you want to play around with.
  • mustangtiff21
    mustangtiff21 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Please be careful with it. I took it years ago for a very very brief time. I ended up losing half my hair and had horrible acne from it and regained the 10# I lost. Wasnt worth ir at all. I've lost 127# on my own without meds so its def possible.
  • cdn_beaver
    cdn_beaver Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm on adderall (an amphetamine) for ADHD and it suppresses my appetite. I had been logging my food for a long time before medication and it comes in handy. There are times when it reaches 6 or 7pm and I've realized I've only consumed about a third of my daily calories so I will make sure I make a good meal to get in the nutrition that I need before going to sleep. Dry mouth definitely helps with water intake. I was drinking at least 64oz a day before and now it's at least 96oz.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    You need to watch yourself when you eventually come off them. If you start eating like you did before you'll quickly regain the weight.
    Pills like these don't teach you how to make permanent changes.
    And yes, I've used phentermine before. It was an horrific experience.
    I averaged a couple hours of sleep every night. I was teary, emotional and moody. I honestly can't even remember if I lost any weight, they effed with my head!! I lasted 3ish weeks before I tossed them in the trash
  • theutahdesertfox
    theutahdesertfox Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I like several others have used it as a jump start to weight loss. Obligatory eyeroll at the IT'LL KILL YOU IT'S A DRUG....obviously it's a drug. Come on people. A car can kill you faster than anything and they're everywhere. Anyway, being overweight does damage to your bones and organs and blood pressure and heart just like anything else. The biggest thing is definitely don't see it as a long term solution. I didn't experience any side effects either, maybe a raised heart rate when I first took it, but my morning cup of coffee does that as well; I just traded the pill for the coffee for a month. As someone with hypothyroidism I really enjoyed the extra energy.

I was prescribed that because I just couldn't seem to lose the weight and when I consulted it was with a nutritionist as well as a doctor, so not only did we talk about weight loss, but we also talked about how to re-learn about food, fats and protein and sugar, that sort of thing, and my depression/emotional eating that so many people suffer from. I am sure there are prescription happy doctors who will just write it off without really digging deeper, but that's not been my experience. My diet changed drastically while on phentermine.

So, when the first ten pounds came off I was ecstatic. I stopped taking it after 30 days and was terrified I would gain back without my drug. Since then I've lost 13 more, and the last 13 were without phentermine. You absolutely can use it in the beginning for motivation and then successfully keep weight off after quitting it. But it's not a miracle and it's not an excuse to eat 400 calories a day and lose weight that way.

• belle_noelle
    belle_noelle Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm on Phentermine and I love it!
    I wake around 7:20a, get ready for work and grab breakfast. I MAKE SURE TO EAT BREAKFAST more than anything else. I've never really been a breakfast eater. But if I don't, I won't eat all day. So, I'll grab breakfast or and iced decaf coffee THEN take my Phentermine. I take it around 9a. I work in a pretty sedentary environment, but I'm constantly busy or assisting customers. I carry my 33oz Camelbak Eddy EVERYWHERE I go and I'm constantly drinking water, and running to the bathroom lol during the day, I try to eat fruit,veggies, 100cal snacks, or whatever I can find. I track EVERYTHING I eat here, on MFP. I typically eat a large breakfast, maybe small lunch and/or small dinner. I try not to limit my foods and consider it a "diet" because realistically speaking, my weight issue came from OVER eating, not too much of eating crappy. My phen wears off around 5p and I get off at 6p ( maybe ). I'll come home eat here and then workout ( mostly cardio ). I have no issue sleeping at all. I take 37.5g M-F and I do not take it on weekends. Slow and steady progress, but progress none the less! I'm down 17lbs so far. I started - seriously- Jan 1st