Talk to me about protein shakes

Options
1235»

Replies

• int3rpo1
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    int3rpo1 wrote: »
    We'll just agree to disagree here. I've been in a caloric deficit and seen weight gain through muscle, where my clothes all seemed to fit more loose but my scale seemed to be very slowly and steadily climbing. Not trying to mislead anyone, just sharing my experience. =)

+1. This is mirror scenario I'm experiencing.

I'm in calorie deficit and my gain is through muscle. I have dropped 2 pant size and I've gone from XL to Large for T-shirts.

I struggled and struggled for upper body definition but finally seeing some good Triceps and little biceps.

I'm in the same shoes as this poster.

EDTA: It took me an almost an year (may onwards) where even @ Calorie Deficit and no scale moving I came down 2 pant size.

Congratulations on your progress! I went from large to medium myself. I somewhat regret mentioning this in the first place, people are wildly spinning what I said. Anyway. The gain happened while I was much more closely monitoring my diet and during which time I was a lot more strict with my workout regiment. Could've been water weight, newb gains, the fact that I put on weight easily, who knows! Frankly, who cares? I wish people would stop quoting me like I said some scientific fact. Lol.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    RHachicho wrote: »
    The only thing i can say about protein powder really is that it has protein in it. It's good for preserving your muscles during dieting. Protein that is not necessarily the shakes. Try to get a good powder that is 100% Whey protein. There are a lot of cheap brands that have soya and milk protein in them that are harder for your body to absorb or use. If your protein powder doesn't mix really easily at a ratio of 100ml of liquid to 1 scoop of protein it's probably bad.

Just out of interest, what do you think Whey is made from? *

*Clue you've just told people to avoid it.

There is a difference between pure whey protein and the mix of various different proteins that constitute "milk" protein. Almost every time I have had a protein powder with milk or soya protein in it it has A) not mixed or 'B)' given me diarrhea, extreme flatulence .. or all of the above. Since the pure whey and milk protein have such dramatically different effects on my system I can assure you they are different things. Milk protein has some whey in it. But it has a bunch of other stuff in it too.

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Could've been newbie gainzz, entirely possible.

It's actually the only possibility.

No, that isn't true. Body builders love to talk about these newbie gains. The actual problem is that body builders reduce their body fat percentages to dangerously low levels so that any calorie deficit will result in significant muscle loss, just because they don't have enough fat to supply the energy they need. For normal people, it is certainly possible to get the required energy from fat while building muscle. If the calorie deficit is small, gaining weight is certainly possible.

Theres a lot of silly stuff in this thread but, well done, you definitely won!

Do you even physics?

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    The only thing i can say about protein powder really is that it has protein in it. It's good for preserving your muscles during dieting. Protein that is not necessarily the shakes. Try to get a good powder that is 100% Whey protein. There are a lot of cheap brands that have soya and milk protein in them that are harder for your body to absorb or use. If your protein powder doesn't mix really easily at a ratio of 100ml of liquid to 1 scoop of protein it's probably bad.

Bwahaha love it!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

There is a difference between pure whey protein and the mix of various different proteins that constitute "milk" protein. Almost every time I have had a protein powder with milk or soya protein in it it has A) not mixed or 'B)' given me diarrhea, extreme flatulence .. or all of the above. Since the pure whey and milk protein have such dramatically different effects on my system I can assure you they are different things. Milk protein has some whey in it. But it has a bunch of other stuff in it too.

Then maybe you're just allergic to casein. It doesn't mean that it's inferior. It's a fine protein.

I drink a protein powder that has whey, casein, and egg protein. I have no idea what you mean about it "not mixing".

Soy is also a fine protein for people who tolerate it. Don't presume that your personal intolerance to things applies to everyone.

• kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »

Ok. Thanks.

No it isn't. Here's two studies where LBM and strength increased as fat mass was lost in elite athletes.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21896944
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21558571?dopt=Abstract&holding=f1000,f1000m,isrctn (abstracts only, sorry)

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/58/4/561.long
    Muscle gains in weight training obese females during 800 cal/day diets verified by biopsy.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0002822398000947
    Loss of fat and gains in fat-free mass (lbm) in normal weight women eating ad libitum while weight training.

LBM and muscle can be gained as fat is lost (and fat is only lost in a calorie deficit). This can happen in both trained (non-newbie) and untrained individuals. The gain in muscle may mask some fat loss, and I've read posts from people who end up happy at higher weights than they expected to, as the last time they were at that weight they were significantly less muscled. In people who are already lean, a smaller deficit is recommended to protect LBM when restricting calories to lose fat. Bulking/cutting is faster, and less frustrating, but it is possible to build muscle in a calorie deficit, for both newbies and more experienced lifters.

Lol no.

In the first two studies the LBM was small compared to the fat loss and more importantly they lost weigh.

The person you are referencing is gaining weigh. They are not gaining muscle at a rate that masks fat loss.

If they had gained a little weight but then it levelled off I would say they had newbie gains then ending up doing a slow recomp. But they said their weight is steadily rising. So they are not in a deficit.

Did you even read the third study? They didn't gain muscle, in fact 24% of the weight they lost was from LBM. It states that weight loss at a severe deficit is not affected by lifting and it doesn't alter the composition of the weight loss.

And the fourth is discussing body recomp. You'll note that there was no significant change in body mass.

None of these studies back up your assertions.

Fat is lost and muscle gained when eating at maintance or slightly above in a recomp. Not in a deficit bar initial newbie gains that at most will be a lb or two if you're really lucky.

The person is gaining weight steadily. They are not in a deficit.

The people who were happy at a higher weight than they expected still lost weight. This doesn't mean they continued to build muscle as they lost weight, just that they kept what they had unlike a lot of dieters.

Sigh.

You are in a calorie deficit if you lose fat (3500 calories in deficit for every pound of fat lost). If gaining muscle required a calorie surplus (which it does not), and losing fat required a calorie deficit (which it does) then those who recomp and do both at the same time would be in both a calorie deficit and surplus at the same time (and you say I don't make any sense).

Anyone who loses fat is in a calorie deficit regardless of whether or not they lose weight. So, if I gain 2 lbs of water and lose 1 lb of fat, I was in a calorie deficit, even though the scale shows a weight gain - see how it works?

People who gain muscle while losing fat are therefore automatically in a calorie deficit, regardless of what the scale says. The muscle gain is from activity and available protein, not the extra calories. These studies show that muscle can be gained in a calorie deficit (as established by fat loss).
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Ok. Thanks.

No it isn't. Here's two studies where LBM and strength increased as fat mass was lost in elite athletes.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21558571?dopt=Abstract&holding=f1000,f1000m,isrctn (abstracts only, sorry)

Muscle gains in weight training obese females during 800 cal/day diets verified by biopsy.

Loss of fat and gains in fat-free mass (lbm) in normal weight women eating ad libitum while weight training.

LBM and muscle can be gained as fat is lost (and fat is only lost in a calorie deficit). This can happen in both trained (non-newbie) and untrained individuals. The gain in muscle may mask some fat loss, and I've read posts from people who end up happy at higher weights than they expected to, as the last time they were at that weight they were significantly less muscled. In people who are already lean, a smaller deficit is recommended to protect LBM when restricting calories to lose fat. Bulking/cutting is faster, and less frustrating, but it is possible to build muscle in a calorie deficit, for both newbies and more experienced lifters.

Lol no.

In the first two studies the LBM was small compared to the fat loss and more importantly they lost weigh.

The person you are referencing is gaining weigh. They are not gaining muscle at a rate that masks fat loss.

If they had gained a little weight but then it levelled off I would say they had newbie gains then ending up doing a slow recomp. But they said their weight is steadily rising. So they are not in a deficit.

Did you even read the third study? They didn't gain muscle, in fact 24% of the weight they lost was from LBM. It states that weight loss at a severe deficit is not affected by lifting and it doesn't alter the composition of the weight loss.

And the fourth is discussing body recomp. You'll note that there was no significant change in body mass.

Fat is lost and muscle gained when eating at maintance or slightly above in a recomp. Not in a deficit bar initial newbie gains that at most will be a lb or two if you're really lucky.

The people who were happy at a higher weight than they expected still lost weight. This doesn't mean they continued to build muscle as they lost weight, just that they kept what they had unlike a lot of dieters.

Sigh.

You are in a calorie deficit if you lose fat (3500 calories in deficit for every pound of fat lost). If gaining muscle required a calorie surplus (which it does not), and losing fat required a calorie deficit (which it does) then those who recomp and do both at the same time would be in both a calorie deficit and surplus at the same time (and you say I don't make any sense).

Anyone who loses fat is in a calorie deficit regardless of whether or not they lose weight. So, if I gain 2 lbs of water and lose 1 lb of fat, I was in a calorie deficit, even though the scale shows a weight gain - see how it works?

People who gain muscle while losing fat are therefore automatically in a calorie deficit, regardless of what the scale says. The muscle gain is from activity and available protein, not the extra calories. These studies show that muscle can be gained in a calorie deficit (as established by fat loss).

So glad you addressed how none of the studies backed your claims, I'm guessing you still haven't read them.

And just lol to your "understanding" of how the body works. That last paragraph well I just can't even...
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Ok. Thanks.

Lol no.

Sigh.

So glad you addressed how none of the studies backed your claims, I'm guessing you still haven't read them.

And just lol to your "understanding" of how the body works. That last paragraph well I just can't even...

Whose body are we talking about here?
    Is it @Iron_Feline‌ or is it @kyta32 or is it @runner475 or is it @int3rpo1‌

I'm really in this tight situation where for past almost a year now my scale has not moved even 0.5 lbs plus minus.

I'm in Calorie Deficit but I have come down from 12 size pant to now 8 size pant.

From XL size, I'm now wearing Large size Tees (I have boobs - 38 D bra)

What in the world is going now that the scale won't move in spite of being in calorie deficit.

If this is not "muscle gain" @ Calorie Deficit then what in the world is this?

I weigh everything that goes in my mouth exception when I go out to eat.

Whose " body works" are we referring here? These are my results. They don't fit into anything that was mentioned.

EDTA : I weigh everything in grams on food scale that goes in my mouth exception when I go out to eat.

I go to a HIIT class lately and every Monday and Friday my trainer makes me weigh on his scale. And his response just 2 weeks back in his own words "What in the world! You are steady. It's good but ...."
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

Ok. Thanks.

Lol no.

Sigh.

I'm really in this tight situation where for past almost a year now my scale has not moved even 0.5 lbs plus minus.

I'm in Calorie Deficit but I have come down from 12 size pant to now 8 size pant.

What in the world is going now that the scale won't move in spite of being in calorie deficit.

Whose " body works" are we referring here? These are my results. They don't fit into anything that was mentioned.

EDTA : I weigh everything in grams on food scale that goes in my mouth exception when I go out to eat.

I go to a HIIT class lately and every Monday and Friday my trainer makes me weigh on his scale. And his response just 2 weeks back in his own words "What in the world! You are steady. It's good but ...."

Actually they do.

Congrats you've hit the sweet spot for a body recomp. You're not eating at a deficit or you would have lost weight but does that matter if you're getting smaller?

Here is where lyle addresses body recomp

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html/

I'm so out if this conversation, if you want to believe that your bodies are so super special that they defy science be my guest.
  • runner475
    edited February 2015
    Options

Ok. Thanks.

Lol no.

Sigh.

Actually they do.

Congrats you've hit the sweet spot for a body recomp. You're not eating at a deficit or you would have lost weight but does that matter if you're getting smaller?

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html/

I'm so out if this conversation, if you want to believe that your bodies are so super special that they defy science be my guest.

I'm reading the link that you have provided. Thanks alot.

Please do not misunderstand. I'm myself frustrated. I want to make that scale move because as a runner I want to be lighter than what I'm right now. That's the primary reason it matters to me. Really my intention is not to challenge anything and definitely not science.

But once again thanks a lot for the link.

Just an FYI - I'm right now on 1850 Calories (my maintenance is 2100) and don't eat back my exercise calories. I did try for a month to be on 1600 calories and felt tired, sleepy, sick and was always hungry.

Have an awesome day.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

Ok. Thanks.

Lol no.

Sigh.

Actually they do.

Please do not misunderstand. I'm myself frustrated. I want to make that scale move because as a runner I want to be lighter than what I'm right now. That's the primary reason it matters to me. Really my intention is not to challenge anything and definitely not science.

Just an FYI - I'm right now on 1850 Calories (my maintenance is 2100) and don't eat back my exercise calories. I did try for a month to be on 1600 calories and felt tired, sleepy, sick and was always hungry.

Have an awesome day.

I'm glad you liked the link, maybe try dropping to 1750 and see how that does? you might have to find a middle ground and lose very slowly.
  • runner475
    Options

Ok. Thanks.

Lol no.

Sigh.

Actually they do.

Have an awesome day.

I'm glad you liked the link, maybe try dropping to 1750 and see how that does? you might have to find a middle ground and lose very slowly.

OK. I'll try for a month with 1750 and see where it goes. I'll keep my workout schedule the same too.

I'm taking the print out of that link. Thanks.
  • Iron_Feline
    edited February 2015
    Options

Ok. Thanks.

Lol no.

Sigh.

Actually they do.

Have an awesome day.

OK. I'll try for a month with 1750 and see where it goes. I'll keep my workout schedule the same too.

I'm taking the print out of that link. Thanks.

It's an inexact science at the end of the day and you might have to do some experimenting to find the spot where you lose but don't feel like crap.

Good luck
  • NotGnarly
    NotGnarly Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I use isopure but only one scoop which is about 25 grams of protein. I limit myself to one scoop because if I drink too many shakes then I get constipated and this leads to bloat and water weight gain. I drink a shake about 3-5 times a week. I just drink enough to maintain my muscle.
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    Options
    I love protein shakes! It's usually what I have for breakfast, actually. One scoop of the powder (my favorite is chocolate peanut butter), a cup of almond milk, 1/4 cup of blueberries, 1/2 cup of spinach leaves and a serving of Nutella. Tastes like a milkshake and leaves me feeling full for hours so I'm not tempted to eat junk food in between meals!

I have to agree. I like the chocolate one. I make it with 1 cup of 1% milk and a tbsp of olive oil (you don't taste it at all) to bulk up the good fat content. It holds me over until lunch.