• Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Robbnva wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    Do you want to maintain your current strength levels?

Basically yes. I don't care how much I can press, or squat, or even deadlift. Being fat all my life. I just want to be a healthy weight, close to the bmi range as I can (my range is unobtainable IMO)

Then I would say go ahead and try the P90x or other alternatives that you mentioned or a different lifting program (like the All Pro's I mentioned above.) For me, right now, I am at a spot where my main focus is losing fat. Eventually, I want to build muscle and I'd like to gain strength but I'm at the point where, as long as I am eating in a deficit, my strength is pretty much just going nowhere. So I'm lifting to maintain right now and I am perfectly fine with that and it sounds like you are the same. Your goals and focus may change down the road, when you are at or closer to your ideal weight/weight range. That is completely normal and to be expected. Any of those programs will be fine for you for your current focus.

Yeah once I'm in maintenance phase, ill worry about building strength, all I know is I'll never want to be one of those guys who live to lift and has huge muscles. Nothing wrong with those guys, just isn't me.

Thanks

Don't underestimate the value of simply being better at life. Lifting things, moving things, etc... you do that every day. Strength training makes them easier and safer. I can't begin to tell you all the benefits I see in that regard as a result of my lifting. There's a difference between being strong and being big. Being strong is good for everyone.

Yeah I get that but how do you find the right balance? I'm fine lifting weights if I can still lose weight. I was getting up at 4:30 to get to the gym by 5 to lift, I have to be home by 6:30 cause that's when the wife leaves for work. I can go on a walk at lunch time to get my cardio in. Its the weekends that are more of a time constraint for me. On the days I lift and walk I probably eat over 1800 to 2k calories (net is about 1340 because I burned 600+ calories). Is that enough? But on days I don't have time to get a walk in, I want to be able to shorten my lift and get my cardio in without spending more than an hour to an hour and 15 minutes (cause wife is usually doing a class and we go together)

That's why I was asking about going to 3 sets.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Basically yes. I don't care how much I can press, or squat, or even deadlift. Being fat all my life. I just want to be a healthy weight, close to the bmi range as I can (my range is unobtainable IMO)

Then I would say go ahead and try the P90x or other alternatives that you mentioned or a different lifting program (like the All Pro's I mentioned above.) For me, right now, I am at a spot where my main focus is losing fat. Eventually, I want to build muscle and I'd like to gain strength but I'm at the point where, as long as I am eating in a deficit, my strength is pretty much just going nowhere. So I'm lifting to maintain right now and I am perfectly fine with that and it sounds like you are the same. Your goals and focus may change down the road, when you are at or closer to your ideal weight/weight range. That is completely normal and to be expected. Any of those programs will be fine for you for your current focus.

Yeah once I'm in maintenance phase, ill worry about building strength, all I know is I'll never want to be one of those guys who live to lift and has huge muscles. Nothing wrong with those guys, just isn't me.

Thanks

Don't underestimate the value of simply being better at life. Lifting things, moving things, etc... you do that every day. Strength training makes them easier and safer. I can't begin to tell you all the benefits I see in that regard as a result of my lifting. There's a difference between being strong and being big. Being strong is good for everyone.

Yeah I get that but how do you find the right balance? I'm fine lifting weights if I can still lose weight. I was getting up at 4:30 to get to the gym by 5 to lift, I have to be home by 6:30 cause that's when the wife leaves for work. I can go on a walk at lunch time to get my cardio in. Its the weekends that are more of a time constraint for me. On the days I lift and walk I probably eat over 1800 to 2k calories (net is about 1340 because I burned 600+ calories). Is that enough? But on days I don't have time to get a walk in, I want to be able to shorten my lift and get my cardio in without spending more than an hour to an hour and 15 minutes (cause wife is usually doing a class and we go together)

Stronglifts was designed to drop from 5x5 to 3x5 when you stall on lifts. I ended up dropping early due to getting annoyed with the volume when it's that heavy (and the workouts were LONG). I now lift about 30-40 minutes depending doing 3x5.
  • Robbnva
    Options
    I think people get too caught up on the 1370 and not realize that I'm not actually eating that little... I can totally survive on 1500 a day without exercise if I wanted to but looking at my last 30 days(not counting my birthday and today) I'm averaging about 1826 actually consumed calories per day.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Do what you want homie. You've already had some good success, do what you think is appropriate to maintain it.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Do what you want homie. You've already had some good success, do what you think is appropriate to maintain it.

Quoting dbmata for those on mobile.
  • Reefboy1980
    Reefboy1980 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I did the SL5x5 version but didn't see the results I was looking for, yes I got stronger but body didn't change much changing to the ICF 5x5 made a massive change to my physique. For me SL5x5 doesn't have enough volume to be an optimum program
  • Robbnva
    Options
    Thanks lishie.

I think when I can I'll do 5x5 and when I'm in a time crunch I'll do 3x5.

I'll keep eating 1,800+ on days I lift.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Here is some support for why I’d do 5 x 3 heavier instead of 3 x 5 - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25546444. The additional sets should give you better strength gains/maintenance.

• lishie_rebooted
    Options
    I did the SL5x5 version but didn't see the results I was looking for, yes I got stronger but body didn't change much changing to the ICF 5x5 made a massive change to my physique. For me SL5x5 doesn't have enough volume to be an optimum program

The OP is already complaining about how long SL takes. I'm running ICF as well and it takes MORE time than SL.
  • Reefboy1980
    Options
    Easy - do supper sets
    If your short on time I would do super sets for example bench - rows repeat. Imo far more effective than doing cardio after the workout
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    Easy - do supper sets
    If your short on time I would do super sets for example bench - rows repeat. Imo far more effective than doing cardio after the workout

While ICF is labeled as a beginner program, based on other posts from the OP, it's not a program he should do. He's already concerned on form for the basic 5 and ICF adds more. Super sets are a valid suggestion for those in a time crunch but not for this OP. Who als fairly recently started SL. (yes, I have a creepy memory about threads here, I wish I didn't lol)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Here is some support for why I’d do 5 x 3 heavier instead of 3 x 5 - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25546444. The additional sets should give you better strength gains/maintenance.

That's all well and good but he's already stated numerous times that he doesn't care about getting big or strong. 3x5, 3x a week is plenty for maintaining LBM during a cut, IMO. Especially if you're strapped for time. Crap, I'm only doing 2 workouts a week to maintain LBM during an aggressive cut. He'll be fine.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Thanks

1. Finding balance is a challenge, no doubt.
    2. Lifting weights won't impact your weight loss in the least.
    3. Conservatively, you have an hour to work out. You should be able to lift for 30 mins then walk or whatever for 30 mins, no problem. Would that work for you?
    4. If weekends are a problem, focus on cardio on those days since that seems to be your priority. Lift 2-3x during the week, then the weekends are yours for whatever.
  • Reefboy1980
    Options
    Must admit haven't read the whole thread just wanted to throw my SL5x5 experience into the mix
    I actually started as suggested with just the bar & each session increased 2.5kg that way I was a able to nail my form down, now 2.5 yrs of training I'm planning on a powerlifting meet
    You tube is a great source for watching form videos too
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

Thanks

Here, here! For me, there's nothing like working outside in the yard or working on projects around the house and barely having to take any rest breaks or even tiring that much throughout the day. I attribute that to being in the weight room throughout the week.

• Robbnva
    Options

I just saw this one the other day, that looks like a good program but its more time consuming
  • Robbnva
    Options

Thanks

1. Finding balance is a challenge, no doubt.
    2. Lifting weights won't impact your weight loss in the least.
    3. Conservatively, you have an hour to work out. You should be able to lift for 30 mins then walk or whatever for 30 mins, no problem. Would that work for you?
    4. If weekends are a problem, focus on cardio on those days since that seems to be your priority. Lift 2-3x during the week, then the weekends are yours for whatever.

That actually works
  • Robbnva
    Options
    Must admit haven't read the whole thread just wanted to throw my SL5x5 experience into the mix
    I actually started as suggested with just the bar & each session increased 2.5kg that way I was a able to nail my form down, now 2.5 yrs of training I'm planning on a powerlifting meet
    You tube is a great source for watching form videos too

Powerlifting will never be my focus
  • Reefboy1980
    Options
    It is but you could super set some of exercises to reduce time
    Imo it's far superior to SL
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It is but you could super set some of exercises to reduce time