Low Carb diet worth it?

Options

Replies

• fastfoodietofitcutie
    Options
    MelRC117 wrote: »
    grnice39 wrote: »
    The problem I have with keto or real low carb is that for most people (there are always exceptions) it isn't a lifestyle change. Most people on this website want to lose the weight and keep it off. I have yet to meet one person (and I know a lot) who have done low carb, lost the weight and not gained most of it back. It's very difficult to maintain for life.

Apparently you've never ventured over to the low carb or keto forums.

I have not but I'm still guessing most won't stick with it for many years. Plus I personally believe there are health issues with it but that's a whole other thread.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Over the past 3+ years, my experience has been that low carb (15% or less of calories from carbs) has helped me reduce my weight, lower my LDL, tryglycerides, and blood sugar levels as well as complete my last marathon in 3:46. My experience has been that endurance events can be fueled with fat while shorter, faster events require carbs.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    OP...ultimately there are any number of ways to create a calorie deficit...for some people it's just easier to drop carbs...some people go low fat (really bad idea from a nutritional standpoint) while others simply count calories and just work everything in.

For me personally it was just easier to reduce my consumption by 500 calories or so and call it a day...it's basically a couple of snacks. I did attempt the low carb route at one point but my fitness suffered...I would also add that I have a fairly moderate carb intake though and most of these come from fruit and veg and sweet potatoes and regular potatoes, rice, and the occasional pasta dish; my intake of "junk" is pretty minimal save for the occasional soda a couple times per month...and I'm a big craft beer guy but I try to stick to wine and spirits and leave my beer for a treat after a long ride or something.

At any rate, different things work for different people for different reasons.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    The problem I have with keto or real low carb is that for most people (there are always exceptions) it isn't a lifestyle change. Most people on this website want to lose the weight and keep it off. I have yet to meet one person (and I know a lot) who have done low carb, lost the weight and not gained most of it back. It's very difficult to maintain for life.

I have not but I'm still guessing most won't stick with it for many years. Plus I personally believe there are health issues with it but that's a whole other thread.

Well that's a logical argument.
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

Not trying to win an argument, just stating my opinion and experience.
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I do lower carb, but I love sweet potatoes, and brown rice and quinoa. I love my veggies and fruits. I do not eat alot of bread or oatmeal and stuff.
  • GarryA1987
    GarryA1987 Posts: 31 Member
    Options

I have to disagree... I know people that have done Keto for years and get to a weight that they are happy with and maintain it. Its about being in a calorie deficit for losing weight, whether you are eating carbs or not. Yes, you do put on a few pounds when you stop keto because of the initial water, but if people are putting back on all the weight, its because they have slipped back into their old ways.

When you decide to end Keto, you have to just introduce carbs back into your diet gradually and then you can continue with a normal diet and eat healthy. Its not for everyone, but if you have the will power to stick to it, you WILL achieve and maintain it.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    heres the thing... you will only know if its worth it, if you try it for awhile and see how it goes.

as you can see, some people love it, others hate it, others are middle of the road. its all okay. we are all on our own journey, and are doing what works for us, as individuals.

My husband eats a pretty low carb diet because hes diabetic. i love my bread and am not giving up my carbs ;) I go by the calories in/ calories out method- and for ME that is working (19 pounds since jan 9). that is the method that, for my lifestyle, will be sustainable, which is a big deal for me. I've known people who have lost weight a variety of methods- from low carb to keto to shakes and more. Most of those people gained weight back after awhile. Why? I don't know - I'm not living in their shoes.

I am a huge proponent of individuals finding not only what WORKS for them, but also what they can live with for the rest of their life ;)

Best of luck to you, we are all on this bumpy road together... just in different shoes ;)
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Personal experience: Low carb has been worth it to me. I started right around when I injured my back and couldn't exercise. So, I lost 18 lbs from my diet alone and the weight loss was just icing on the (almond flour) cake, as I was changing it up for medical reasons, first and foremost. It's been four months and I think I'll stick with it for life. It's not hard if you cook your own food. I've cooked some of the best meals of my life since cutting out grains, legumes, and sugar. Just like some people do better restricting their wardrobe to certain colors (I've cut out neon and burgundy), some people do better restricting their diet to certain foods.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    The only way I would consider low carb as an option would be if I was far less active than I am. I think less active individuals can definitely benefit from going low carb...if you're active, it's completely unnecessary and counterproductive to fitness goals.

I didn't find that to be true at all. I still prefer low carb because I'm not tempted by extraneous junk food while eating that way but I ended up giving up on it because it was just too much of a hassle with a family who wasn't interested in switching with me. A few years ago I reached my goal weight on 20-40g per day while training for and running half marathons. I had plenty of energy and it wasn't counterproductive at all.

You mean when you ran/walked them and never improve.

I'd call that counterproductive.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I did very low carb for 5-7 years (I honestly don't remember). I didn't cheat, ever. When gluten free oatmeal came onto the market, I was done for. It had been easy for me to leave carbs behind, having celiac disease. Gluten free substitutes just aren't as good as their counterparts. But oatmeal had always been a weakness of mine.

So yeah, I wasn't tempted by sweets, or pasta, or pizza. It was oatmeal. And meat was becoming an issue for me. My intestines were increasingly rumbly every time I ate it. I became a pescetarian for a while, until even that bothered me.

I started adding some other things back into my diet, here and there, like potatoes. I missed them. I've built a diet as a vegetarian that's moderate carb (usually less than 150 a day, far less than that net because I usually get around 45-50 g of fiber a day) and if I want something, I plan for it and eat it.

So, the moral of my story? You have to decide what you'll be happy eating. If you want to low-carb, give it a go. If it doesn't work, tweak it. Keep tweaking until you have a diet full of foods that you're happy with that keep you satisfied. Count calories no matter what you do, and you'll lose weight.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Eating low carb is worth it if you feel good, enjoy your diet, and have no problem adhering to it. It isn't worth it if you end up feeling icky or if you are hungry or if you end up binging or going off plan cause you miss favorite foods. There is no particular reason to give up carbs to lose weight unless you have a medical/metabolic issue. But, if it works for you and you see it as a permanent lifestyle vs a temporary fix, then it's perfectly fine
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Eating low carb is worth it if you feel good, enjoy your diet, and have no problem adhering to it. It isn't worth it if you end up feeling icky or if you are hungry or if you end up binging or going off plan cause you miss favorite foods. There is no particular reason to give up carbs to lose weight unless you have a medical/metabolic issue. But, if it works for you and you see it as a permanent lifestyle vs a temporary fix, then it's perfectly fine
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    the answer is NO... unless* you are diabetic or pre-diabetic or very overweight... in that case you have built up an insulin resistance and going relatively low carb will help. healthy adults generally should eat their carbohydrates as it is great for training and WILL fill you up if you have proper hormone function.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    The only way I would consider low carb as an option would be if I was far less active than I am. I think less active individuals can definitely benefit from going low carb...if you're active, it's completely unnecessary and counterproductive to fitness goals.

How do you know this?

From The Big Lebowski

I'm active, 1-2 hours/day. I logged 57 hrs active physical activity in the past month. In fact, since I no longer have to feed my body every few hours because of low glucose, last bikeride was for 4.5 hrs WITHOUT energycrashing or bonking. So in my experience LCHF diet helps my fitness goals.

I can't speak for anyone else. I still would guess that people like Ben Greenfield who is a tri-athlete, would probably not do low carb, if he thought it would be bad for his athletic aspirations.

http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/2013/05/low-carb-triathlon-training/

Edit: for clarity. Oh, I forgot. I even did a sprint up to 95% maxpulse at the end of that 4.5 hours ride.

And what does Ben, that you quoted, say on that page?

I'll pass.
    Warning-unless-you-want.jpg
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options

How do you know this?

From The Big Lebowski

I'm active, 1-2 hours/day. I logged 57 hrs active physical activity in the past month. In fact, since I no longer have to feed my body every few hours because of low glucose, last bikeride was for 4.5 hrs WITHOUT energycrashing or bonking. So in my experience LCHF diet helps my fitness goals.

I can't speak for anyone else. I still would guess that people like Ben Greenfield who is a tri-athlete, would probably not do low carb, if he thought it would be bad for his athletic aspirations.

Edit: for clarity

Personal experience...

also, while many athletes do some low carb training, most don't train like that all of the time.

Personally, I like having my rocket fuel...and again...outside of certain medical conditions it's completely unnecessary to low carb...carbs aren't the devil. I can tell you right now I run a better cyclocross race carb loaded than not...sure I can still ride, but not like I can when I'm loaded.

This is such a sensationalizing argument. Nobody has said carbs are the devil, and everything everyone does on this site is unnecessary. It's all done by choice and personal preference, so people who feel the need to single out one combination of things some people choose to do as somehow "less than" feels more like proselytizing than giving advice.

+1. OP- low carb is worth it for some. Some do have medical conditions that require low carb but low carb does not require a medical condition. Some people try it and find it doesn't work for them, others find it easy and enjoyable. The only way to really know is to try it and see. All the opinions here, including mine, only go so far. I can tell you there is a level of commitment involved, just like any other "diet" plan - including CICO. If you think it will be super hard to give up pasta and potatoes then maybe start with CICO for now.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

How do you know this?

From The Big Lebowski

Edit: for clarity. Oh, I forgot. I even did a sprint up to 95% maxpulse at the end of that 4.5 hours ride.

And what does Ben, that you quoted, say on that page?

I'll pass.
    Warning-unless-you-want.jpg

Now that needs repeating.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    olyjok wrote: »
    I have researched this topic a bit and have no idea what the truth is. Looking for some hands on experiences good or bad. I am very active with running and will be lifting soon.

It was worth it for me.

I'm active, and found that I had tonnes of energy, especially in the morning, without having to eat until noon.

I'm not a big lover of bread, pasta or rice - I am on the other hand a big lover of meat (the decent fatty cuts), so for me the food on low carb is perfect. I can eat as much as I want, of what i want.

That's not to say I can eat unlimited food, to lose weight on Low carb you still need to be in a deficit, but protein and fat are very filling and I personally have found I'm full and satisfied a lot quicker than when i was eating more carbs (so it's a great calorie deficit tool).

There's no magic to it! Eat low carb in a calorie surplus and you will gain weight.

But for having all that energy on tap (for activities of less than 75% ish effort), for me it's worth it.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options

Not trying to win an argument, just stating my opinion and experience.

But you just made an assumption about people that are NOT you and you just said you didn't know?

I'd also like to here about these health issues that you personally believe will happen.

OP - No one can tell you if it will work for you. I didn't know low carb WOE would work for ME until I tried it with a real effort. People run while eating low carb, people lift while eating low carb. I agree with tennisdude that I have MORE energy eating this way.