Low Carb diet worth it?

Options

Replies

• Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    One person, maybe an outlier, but her health and fitness certainly don't seem to be suffering after many years in ketosis.

https://www.youtube.com/user/fitsk8chick
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »
    One person, maybe an outlier, but her health and fitness certainly don't seem to be suffering after many years in ketosis.

There are plenty of examples, really, but I suspect the people arguing don't really want to see them. Reddit has a community specifically for doing keto while lifting or doing serious athletics, and it has about 18k subscribers. I considered posting the link, but I doubt they want a troll invasion. The info is out there for those who want to find it.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    My experience on low carb was very bad. I love bread & carbs so for me it was very difficult to give it up and at the end of the low carb diet, I started binging and gained more than I lost.

I finally had success reaching and maintaining my weight loss goal just eating less calories and including carbs. Also, I couldn't imagine going back to low carb given my activity level. Currently running between 20-30 miles per week and looking to up this gradually over the year. My running suffers when I don't eat a good portion of carbs.

Personally, I will be glad when the low carb fad goes the way of past fads. I totally believe there is room for them in a healthy diet.
  • Jolinia
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

There are plenty of examples, really, but I suspect the people arguing don't really want to see them. Reddit has a community specifically for doing keto while lifting or doing serious athletics, and it has about 18k subscribers. I considered posting the link, but I doubt they want a troll invasion. The info is out there for those who want to find it.

This is why I think OP should just try it and see. If it doesn't work, it's not a personal failure, it's just that it doesn't work for everyone. If it does work, great.
  • sannaf36
    sannaf36 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    When I tried low carb dieting, it made me feel weak and moody and as a result, once I went back to eating carbs regularly, I was craving them more t
    My experience on low carb was very bad. I love bread & carbs so for me it was very difficult to give it up and at the end of the low carb diet, I started binging and gained more than I lost.

I finally had success reaching and maintaining my weight loss goal just eating less calories and including carbs. Also, I couldn't imagine going back to low carb given my activity level. Currently running between 20-30 miles per week and looking to up this gradually over the year. My running suffers when I don't eat a good portion of carbs.

Personally, I will be glad when the low carb fad goes the way of past fads. I totally believe there is room for them in a healthy diet.

I absolutely agree. I never had an issue with binging and only after going on a low carb diet (unsuccessfully
  • JPW1990
    Options

It's been around since the 1920's, I suggest you not hold your breath.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Is it the link that is in your profile? If so, can you link specifically to the threads pertaining to long-term success for serious lifters and athletes?
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Ah the common call of a bird that can't back up his/her claims.
  • JPW1990
    Options

Ah the common call of a bird that can't back up his/her claims.

18,874 readers

Like I said, the info is easy enough to find for those who aren't too lazy or too biased to seek it out.
  • JPW1990
    Options

Is it the link that is in your profile? If so, can you link specifically to the threads pertaining to long-term success for serious lifters and athletes?

Nope, I have no interest in lifting. I am aware of its existence because I am capable of researching something before I spout off about it.
  • Jolinia
    Options

It's been around since the 1920's, I suggest you not hold your breath.

1800s actually. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Banting
  • LolBroScience
    edited February 2015
    Options

Nope, I have no interest in lifting. I am aware of its existence because I am capable of researching something before I spout off about it.

Should perhaps check out Strength & Conditioning Research, JISSN, and PubMed since the vast majority of data out there points to decline in athletic performance through ketogenic diets over a period of time.

Especially when you compare ketogenic athletes against thought with high to moderate carb intakes.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Should perhaps check out Strength & Conditioning Research, JISSN, and PubMed since the vast majority of data out there points to decline in athletic performance through ketogenic diets over a period of time.

Yep
    B2gMfXDCIAA54Jd.png:large
  • Jolinia
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

Yep

If that is the full list, I wouldn't call it 'vast majority'. Small majority, perhaps. Also, it can take several months to fully keto adapt, did they wait that long to start testing performance?

That said, I absolutely think there are people who don't do well on low carb for whatever reason and I don't know of course what that percentage is.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

Yep

If that is the full list, I wouldn't call it 'vast majority'. Small majority, perhaps. Also, it can take several months to fully keto adapt, did they wait that long to start testing performance?

That said, I absolutely think there are people who don't do well on low carb for whatever reason and I don't know of course what that percentage is.

Read the studies
  • JPW1990
    Options
    Can't seem to find an English version of the one from 1939, but I'm sure you have a link for it?
  • carolynmo1969
    carolynmo1969 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I've stopped eating white bread and flour. The carbs I eat are whole grain, mostly rice and quinoa and I find I can eat a larger and more satisying portion AND it keeps me feeling full. I am never hungry. Never.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    Can't seem to find an English version of the one from 1939, but I'm sure you have a link for it?

ayeeeeee library ftw
  • TropicalParaMonster
    Options
    Honestly, like any lifestyle modification, give it a week and see how your body adapts, see if it works and if you like it. I tried keto for about 10 days once because a friend advised it. I loved it. I was always full and honestly had some amazing food. Then I went back to carbs and basically it was a cycle of addiction all over again. I'm back on it now, with an off day every now and then. I exercise just fine after my body adapted to it, so it's all on you! Best of luck!
  • JPW1990
    Options

ayeeeeee library ftw

Why? I'm not the one putting it out there, surely, you've read it, you can at least give an overview - sample size, methodology, findings, right?