Ladies: Experiences using low calorie protein shakes for weightloss?

Options
Im trying to shift my final stone before my goal weight, im going to the gym 5-6 times a week doing high intensity cardio and some weight training to tone, and ive only shifted 1 pound in two months, and that was today!!

I've bought PhD Diet Whey protein powder to have after a workout and will suppress your appetite, it has great review online but I was wondering if anyone has experience using this product or something simular? xx

Nutrition - This product had the lowest calories and the highest protein content of any product i could find:

Per 50g serving (2 scoops) 762kj/182kcal
Protein 34g

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are good for getting more protein in your intake. They will not help you lose weight. Protein and fat are also good at making you feel fuller longer.

The last pounds are the slowest to go, and your logging needs to be 100% accurate. Are you weighing all of your food? Buying a food scale and re-evaluating your intake will probably be much cheaper than that protein powder you bought....looks pricy from what I saw online.
  • nickinoo92
    nickinoo92 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It wasnt too bad, it was from monster supplements I think it was £19 for 1KG and you only use 50g scoop after each workout, I have bought a scales and yeah they do make it much easier to really keep an eye on what your eating! I miss the good old days where I was loosing a few pounds a week, I seem to just be maintaining it now!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are to meet protein needs, not for weight loss.
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    My shake has 140 calories with 30g protein in one scoop (approx 38g)- six star whey isolate decadent chocolate from walmart. I drink one a day with some pb2 for added flavor, as i walk out of the gym or on my way home from a busy day at work. It helps me curb hunger and a sweet tooth at the same time.
  • nickinoo92
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

But doesn't protein suppress your appetite and then you'll eat less? - sorry im not great at all the science stuff
  • nickinoo92
    Options
    My shake has 140 calories with 30g protein in one scoop (approx 38g)

That sounds good! how have you found it works? have you noticed your eating less since using it? x

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    nickinoo92 wrote: »

But doesn't protein suppress your appetite and then you'll eat less? - sorry im not great at all the science stuff

Protein dense foods help you feel sated, by releasing a hormone, peptide YY. Personally, I like to eat my food (chew it), because I want to feel that I'm actually eating more than I'm sometimes allowed (lazy days).
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

Protein dense foods help you feel sated, by releasing a hormone, peptide YY. Personally, I like to eat my food (chew it), because I want to feel that I'm actually eating more than I'm sometimes allowed (lazy days).

I agree. I just ate a 5oz steak with broccoli for dinner, and this sums up how I feel.
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    It would be best not to lose the weight relying heavily on protein shakes, unless you want to replace meals with protein shakes for the rest of your life.

Eat in a way that's sustainable and for most of us that includes actually eating the food and not just drinking it.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes aren't magic, they're basically chicken in a blender. (Not, you know, literally. Nutritionally speaking). If they help you get your required protein in and help you stay under your calorie goal, great. But they won't do anything for you that any other source of protein wouldn't do.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    How does it taste?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Honestly shakes have never filled me up one bit for the calories.
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    My shake has 140 calories with 30g protein in one scoop (approx 38g)

That sounds good! how have you found it works? have you noticed your eating less since using it? x

Im eating less because i follow mfp, not bc of the protein. However, i feel it tides me over until i can eat dinner, instead of stopping for fast food like i used to do. And it hits my protein goal. I dont know if theres science behind it, but i also notice im much less sore the day after a workout if i drink it. Like when i forget or run out, i feel it more the next day. Maybe its all in my head though.
    But it is good and like i said- also curbs my sweet tooth until i can get real food.
  • nickinoo92
    Options
    How does it taste?

I havent received mine yet but they have loads of flavours - i bought white chocolate from monsters supplements

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I like to chew. I lift and if it seems like I'm going to be under protein for the day, I'll have one scoop of powder in WATER only. It hasn't helped me with weight loss, it has helped me meet my protein needs. In fact, I'm annoyed when I need to drink it because I'd rather put those 110 calories toward dinner or chocolate.
  • nickinoo92
    Options
    thanks for all the replies everyone!! i'm going to give it a go with the stuff i've bought soon as ive already paid for it, hopefully it will reduce my appetite, i get in a bad habit of coming home from my morning gym session starving, i'll create another post once ive tried it for about two weeks and see if its made any difference! :)
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    This is the second of this type of thread I've seen in, literally, 2 mins.

Don't get me wrong, I really like PHD but I wouldn't buy their 'diet' whey. It's got less protein per serving and is always more expensive PLUS their 'pharma' whey is just delicious.

Whey protein is for hitting your target if you can't get there with food, it's not the next quick fix, sheesh

Nutrition - This product had the lowest calories and the highest protein content of any product i could find:

Per 50g serving (2 scoops) 762kj/182kcal
    Protein 34g

You didn't look very hard - this is from the same company,91fmm204111u.jpg

• nickinoo92
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »

Don't get me wrong, I really like PHD but I wouldn't buy their 'diet' whey. It's got less protein per serving and is always more expensive PLUS their 'pharma' whey is just delicious.

Whey protein is for hitting your target if you can't get there with food, it's not the next quick fix, sheesh

i appreciate your advise but i dont think you need to be sarcastic
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

I know. I'm wondering if there was something on the news today about protein shakes?
  • nickinoo92
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I know. I'm wondering if there was something on the news today about protein shakes?

i bought mine about 5 days ago after being recommended it by a friend - still waiting on delivery