Ladies: Experiences using low calorie protein shakes for weightloss?

Options
2»

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    nickinoo92 wrote: »
    3laine75 wrote: »
    This is the second of this type of thread I've seen in, literally, 2 mins.

Don't get me wrong, I really like PHD but I wouldn't buy their 'diet' whey. It's got less protein per serving and is always more expensive PLUS their 'pharma' whey is just delicious.

Whey protein is for hitting your target if you can't get there with food, it's not the next quick fix, sheesh

i appreciate your advise but i dont think you need to be sarcastic

That was not sarcastic. Here you go,

Protein shakes for weight loss are a great idea, especially the ones which are more expensive and marketed towards dieters :)

• nickinoo92
    nickinoo92 Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Don't get me wrong, I really like PHD but I wouldn't buy their 'diet' whey. It's got less protein per serving and is always more expensive PLUS their 'pharma' whey is just delicious.

Whey protein is for hitting your target if you can't get there with food, it's not the next quick fix, sheesh

Protein shakes for weight loss are a great idea, especially the ones which are more expensive and marketed towards dieters :)

everyone is entitled to their opinion, and i was looking for peoples experiences good or bad, we are all learning and these products may have been use to some people, or they may just be gimics like you say - im willing to give them a go and if they are no good then fair enough, i was simply looking for some advise.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

everyone is entitled to their opinion, and i was looking for peoples experiences good or bad, we are all learning and these products may have been use to some people, or they may just be gimics like you say - im willing to give them a go and if they are no good then fair enough, i was simply looking for some advise.

That was advice. And facts.
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you've already made up your mind to use it as a meal replacement, instead of a way to increase protein for a lifting program, etc. We look forward to your update, and whatever you, if you stay in a moderate deficit (20% below your TDEE) and log accurately, you will lose weight.
  • nickinoo92
    Options
    Holla4mom wrote: »
    It sounds like you've already made up your mind to use it as a meal replacement, instead of a way to increase protein for a lifting program, etc. We look forward to your update, and whatever you, if you stay in a moderate deficit (20% below your TDEE) and log accurately, you will lose weight.

thanks xx i'll be sure to update you all, even if nothing happens at least i can say i tried it and gave it a go

• JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Just to add - I use protein shakes as meal replacements all the time. I usually pre-log my food every day and if I want a high calorie lunch I'll have a protein shake for breakfast, dinner or both. Most days I have at least 1 protein shake in order to get more protein into my diet but it's often in place of a meal.

I'm aiming to reach around 90-100g of protein most days so protein shakes help me get there. If it's a day when I'm weight training I'll try and have a protein shake immediately afterward doing my workout but sometimes depending on what else I've eaten or will eat I have a shake, half a shake or a couple of shakes every day.

That said, I had originally planned to replace two meals a day with the shakes but sometimes I don't fancy it and prefer to have solid food so I skip it and replace it with a high protein meal or snack.

What I like about the shakes is they're low calorie (in my case usually 25g of protein and 130 calories) and if I mix with other things like peanut butter or a banana they can also be quite filling for around 200 calories in total.

• nickinoo92
    Options
    JAT74 wrote: »
    Just to add - I use protein shakes as meal replacements all the time. I usually pre-log my food every day and if I want a high calorie lunch I'll have a protein shake for breakfast, dinner or both. Most days I have at least 1 protein shake in order to get more protein into my diet but it's often in place of a meal.

I'm aiming to reach around 90-100g of protein most days so protein shakes help me get there. If it's a day when I'm weight training I'll try and have a protein shake immediately afterward doing my workout but sometimes depending on what else I've eaten or will eat I have a shake, half a shake or a couple of shakes every day.

That said, I had originally planned to replace two meals a day with the shakes but sometimes I don't fancy it and prefer to have solid food so I skip it and replace it with a high protein meal or snack.

What I like about the shakes is they're low calorie (in my case usually 25g of protein and 130 calories) and if I mix with other things like peanut butter or a banana they can also be quite filling for around 200 calories in total.

Thanks, that's really good to know! I'll try that, changing it day by day to reach my goals xxx
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You aren't going to lose weight from a protein shake

You lose weight from making sure you consume fewer calories than you burn

You do that by carefully weighing and logging everything you eat and by not overestimating your calorie burn on exercise

If you haven't lost weight in 2 months that's where you should look first

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

0% fat Greek Yogurt has 24g of protein for 130 calories
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    You aren't going to lose weight from a protein shake

You lose weight from making sure you consume fewer calories than you burn

You do that by carefully weighing and logging everything you eat and by not overestimating your calorie burn on exercise

If you haven't lost weight in 2 months that's where you should look first

all of this
  • JAT74
    Options
    Yes that's true if you can get hold of it. I have one shop within 30kms which sells that, and it's overpriced because it's imported from the UK (I'm in Spain).

Normally protein shakes are the most economical way for me to get enough protein and they are also quite filling due to the liquid content, I find I am a lot more full after a protein shake compared to a yogurt.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Eh. Sometimes I'm not terribly hungry and feel like a smoothie instead of a meal and have a shake. It's not like I'm saving calories since a scoop of protein powder has the same amount of calories as a cup of Greek yogurt. Adding things to a smoothie, they usually come to at least 350 or so calories. Most of the time, for the same amount of protein, I'd rather have a protein bar for less calories if I'm having a between meal thing.

I usually have them when I have a migraine and can't stomach the idea of chewing.

They don't have magical weight loss properties, but I'm a vegetarian, and they help me supplement my protein intake.
  • JAT74
    Options
    No they are not magical weight loss drinks but supplements which are usually low calorie, low carb and low fat. For me they help meet my macros like not many other foods I can find, and a protein shake keeps me a lot fuller than a greek yogurt or other foods with the equivalent amount of protein.

I find that if I have one for breakfast I am often not hungry until lunch time and that way I can have a higher calorie lunch. The same with dinner, most days I have a large lunch so have a shake for dinner so that I have something to stop me being too hungry before bed.

Ideally I try and have 1 protein shake as a meal replacement and 1 as a snack or after a workout.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    No they are not magical weight loss drinks but supplements which are usually low calorie, low carb and low fat. For me they help meet my macros like not many other foods I can find, and a protein shake keeps me a lot fuller than a greek yogurt or other foods with the equivalent amount of protein.

I find that if I have one for breakfast I am often not hungry until lunch time and that way I can have a higher calorie lunch. The same with dinner, most days I have a large lunch so have a shake for dinner so that I have something to stop me being too hungry before bed.

Ideally I try and have 1 protein shake as a meal replacement and 1 as a snack or after a workout.

When I eat yogurt, I don't eat those little cups of sweetened yogurt, I eat 227 grams of plain Greek yogurt, so it's more filling for me than a shake. I looked at your diary and saw the yogurt you eat. That wouldn't fill me up either :)

It's nice to have options. A shake for me isn't really filling unless I put oatmeal in it, but by that point, between the protein powder and the strawberries? The calories are really starting to add up.

It's fascinating how we're all different when it comes to this stuff.

• JAT74
    Options
    Actually I use the low-fat low calorie yogurts to get in a light snack between meals, or to add to things like cereal. You obviously didn't notice the Greek yogurt I eat 2-3 times a week too, though as I said before I can't get the 0% Greek style yogurt very easily so I end up buying whatever is on offer and that doesn't usually give me much protein and is higher in calories and fat than I'd like.

I'm not sure where you are located but for some of us it's not very easy to find certain foods. In Spain I find that they're not very focussed on fat free or low fat/low calorie so there is limited choice. When I'm in the UK I can find a lot more health foods and generally a lot more fat free options for every type of food being sold.

• 3laine75
    Options
    Actually I use the low-fat low calorie yogurts to get in a light snack between meals, or to add to things like cereal. You obviously didn't notice the Greek yogurt I eat 2-3 times a week too, though as I said before I can't get the 0% Greek style yogurt very easily so I end up buying whatever is on offer and that doesn't usually give me much protein and is higher in calories and fat than I'd like.

I'm not sure where you are located but for some of us it's not very easy to find certain foods. In Spain I find that they're not very focussed on fat free or low fat/low calorie so there is limited choice. When I'm in the UK I can find a lot more health foods and generally a lot more fat free options for every type of food being sold.

And their food is all the better for it. One of the things I love about going on holiday is the gorgeous fresh produce, dairy, meat etc - Spanish ham is to die for. They don't seem to be inundated with the 'low-fat', 'no-fat', 'fat-free', 'healthy option' packaged crap that we are. That stuff is far from good for you - you might not have heard, but fat isn't bad for you (too low an intake is). Cutting fat means you just have more volume of food - what's the point if it's at the detriment of taste (and your health)?

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Protein in general is satiating and a higher protein diet is often recommended in weight loss not because it actually makes you lose weight but because it helps you stay fuller longer and it also preserves your lean mass.

Protein shakes are just a supplement that can help you get more protein in your diet; unfortunately, they don't have any magical properties. If they did, I'd be at 10% or less BF by now easily.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I'm on the go a lot. I usually try to eat/chew my calories, but sometimes I make a small protein shake with chia (good n-3:n-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids ratio) to have before I leave my office to tide me over before supper. Otherwise, it is hard to not eat a few wildly high calorie snacks as I am making supper. We all have very different lifestyles and eating habits. I agree that the shakes are not "for weight loss" but they can be a tool. (Also, I really enjoy the taste of mine, so it is almost a treat.)
  • JAT74
    Options
    3laine75 you're right to a certain extent, though unfortunately aside from the Serrano ham, olive oil, seafood and other specialities we are stuck with the larger than life fruit and veg grown using pesticides which often has no taste. All the best produce and organic fresh food gets exported so I dread to think how bad some of it really is.

I know a mediterranean diet is supposed to be better for you, but most restaurants here serve everything with chips and huge chunks of bread so aside from what I've already mentioned, all in all I am not sure how much healthier it really is.
  • 3laine75
    Options
    3laine75 you're right to a certain extent, though unfortunately aside from the Serrano ham, olive oil, seafood and other specialities we are stuck with the larger than life fruit and veg grown using pesticides which often has no taste. All the best produce and organic fresh food gets exported so I dread to think how bad some of it really is.

I know a mediterranean diet is supposed to be better for you, but most restaurants here serve everything with chips and huge chunks of bread so aside from what I've already mentioned, all in all I am not sure how much healthier it really is.

That's sucky! I tend to prefer self-catering and have always loved the fruit and veg - tends to taste like what it's meant to be instead of the watery tasting stuff we get here.

I hear you though, I wouldn't be impressed with that either (especially if i was going out to eat, that should, at least, be palatable).