How often do you eat fast food?

Options

Replies

• mscheftg
    mscheftg Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I made a goal to cut back to once a week. There was a time when I was eating fast food daily. I'm better off saying never because I always want more.

Ideally, it is only two meals a week. I often times will get a healthier option (ie burger with extra veggies, no bun; a salad with grilled chicken; fresco tacos) instead of attempting to fit the full fat, full carb version.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Really rarely.

I had a Chipotle kid's meal about a year ago. I had a turkey sandwich at Subway about three years ago. Those are the only times I can remember eating fast food in the last 5 years.

This is not a function of dieting--I've never been a fast-food eater. Places like McDonald's gross me out.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    A handful of times in a year...usually means I'm on the road and don't want to be bothered to stop too long.

I'm pretty much a food snob and have always enjoyed high quality food...fast food really doesn't fit that bill...it's pretty much just nasty slop. I tolerate Wendy's because I can get a sour cream and chive baked potato and their chili isn't horrible.

I find the notion that "burgers" at these places are even called "burgers", laughable...I don't know what they are, but they're not burgers.

In general I don't eat out all that much and when I do I prefer local establishments that tend to use fresher, higher quality ingredients. About the closest thing to regular consumption of fast food that I can think of would be pizza...but our favorite pizza joint is a kick *kitten* local joint that uses very fresh stuff....a far cry from something like Pizza Hut.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    This is not a function of dieting--I've never been a fast-food eater. Places like McDonald's gross me out.

cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm pretty much a food snob and have always enjoyed high quality food...fast food really doesn't fit that bill...it's pretty much just nasty slop.

+1 on all of this.

I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with eating fast food if it fits your macros. I just don't much like it, so I don't see the point for myself, personally.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    1-2 times a month. I've never been a big fast food eater but once in a while it's easy and sounds good.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Almost never anymore because I can make something more filling and tastier at home for the calories. But I don't think there's anything wrong with it if you like it (I had chili at Panera a couple weeks ago).
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    As little as possible. Had a kiddy meal the other day because I was on the road and in a hurry. Still can't believe that tiny burger and tiny fries was nearly 600 calories. It's crazy!
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    :( almost daily
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Maybe twice in the past year. You always remember it being better than it actually is. (for me anyway) Just isn't worth it anymore. :)
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    Options
    I love Chipotle but tend to stay away from there because they put way more in a burrito/bowl/taco than what their nutritional info says. There is no way to really measure it.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Not often, since I eat GF and many fast food places don't have things I can eat. I work "junk food" into my day almost daily, often multiple times a day. I ate 4 pieces of chocolate yesterday.
  • picklesroofus
    picklesroofus Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Once a week and nearly daily if flying/traveling (about 20 days a year). I do not cab ...I walk everywhere to meetings and such so I can usually fit in a 300 cal burn over the day when traveling. I also switch to breakfast that is light, one meal a day which is a late lunch/early dinner, and light PM snack in hotel room (milk, cereal bar, or maybe fruit smuggled from the meeting.. stowed away fruit is especially tastier).
  • carolynmo1969
    carolynmo1969 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Fast Food is my kryptonite. Just being in a McDonald's to get a cup of coffee had me dreaming of the Bacon, Egg & Cheese McGriddles I used to eat Every Single Morning. For the first several months of my journey I avoided it all together. I'm strong enough now to make healthy choices. I've found on my "splurge" day (I don't use the word Cheat - it suggests something insidious) I would rather go to a place where the food comes on a glass plate and someone brings it to you, and I have the option to have my burger without a bun.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Probably 4-5 times a month. We go to Disney about once a month, sometimes more, then we eat our 3 meals and snacks there.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Very rarely.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Once in awhile I will. I can fit fast food into my calories, but I agree about still wanting like 10 other things from the menu when I do it. So, I generally avoid it these days, unless I want it to be a cheat meal - and if that's the case, then I would rather go to a real restaurant with friends for happy hour or something, so I get more bang for my buck.
  • determined24girl
    determined24girl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Way to often! I'm trying to cut it out, but sometimes the "easy-ness" of it wins out. :( Then the regret kicks. I want to be healthy not just smaller, and fast food isn't the way to go for me.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Anywhere from 1-4x weekly. I know what I can get from my go-to places that fit my macros. I have my go-to burger, Mexi-treat, pizza, breakfast sandwich, and go-to Subway order. All yummy and reasonably filling and good on calories (around the 400-600 calorie mark, all with 20+g protein). That is the key for me--knowing ahead of time that it fits, so there's no need for guilt.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I am with the very rarely crowd. That's not to say that I don't have that crazy morning with kids who won't cooperate and I grab a slice of breakfast pizza on my way into the office, but if I do that, I end up feeling crappy that I burned so many calories on a single slice. I just try to make sure I have time to prepare my meals (breakfast and lunch) in advance. Also, I use the hell out of my crock pot. We make eating healthy a family affair - and thankfully, my kids don't like fast food. I've learned that if they express a desire for McDonald's - it's likely the toy they're after. If I'm feeling generous, I'll slide in to McD's and buy the toys without the Happy Meal and use them as a reward for good listening ears, etc.

As for me, I'm also a bit of a food snob, so fast food just doesn't really 'do it' for me. I don't even like hamburgers at home. Chipotle would probably be the one I would seek out, but I can't justify the calories for what I want to eat there. I've learned to make things at home that satisfy the taste for stuff like that. That said, if you plan in advance and want it to be a part of your diet, it can be done...and if you lack restraint, just don't. For me, some foods are triggers and I just can't have them. Attempts at moderation are futile exercises when it comes to Girl Scout Samoa/Carmel DeLites or mint Oreos. I will eat the entire thing, so I just don't.
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Almost not at all, makes me feel ill.. and it's expensive