The Average Chipotle Customer Consumes 1,070 Calories Per Visit (New York Times)

Options

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Challenge accepted!
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Not a surprise. If I go to lunch there, it's with several women, and we always split a burrito between two people because it is so huge. Of course, guess who owns Chipotle's == McDonald's.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    this is relevant/surprising…why?
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I consume 1200 calories almost every time I go to Chipotle, except for the two times I went and got double wrapped, triple meat burritos with extra rice and extra cheese, those were 2000 calorie burritos. As long as you know what you're consuming, why does it matter what that caloric value is?
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Interesting. But while the article is right that these app orders don't include fountain drinks, I can honestly say that if I order food in versus going out, I get more, because I can put my leftovers in the fridge right away. I don't know if the fountain drink thing does cancel it out, because a lot of people get diet or unsweetened tea.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    It easily fits within my macros when I go there so I don't see this as a big deal.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    Not a surprise. If I go to lunch there, it's with several women, and we always split a burrito between two people because it is so huge. Of course, guess who owns Chipotle's == McDonald's.

Not anymore I don't think. I think there was investment from McDonalds at one point, but not now. Could be wrong.

Either way, my son always makes two meals of it. I would of course eat the entire burrito and wash it down with soda in my old life.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Quote from the first paragraph of the article: But here's the thing, Chipotle fans: You're not eating healthy when you're there. Says who? 1,070 is very well in the realm of a"healthy" and appropriate meal for many. And who says you can't split a meal, or save the rest for dinner, if it's a larger portion than one needs? I do that often, or if I want the whole thing (not just Chipotle, in general), I make room for it in my day.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Any place I eat out at is 9 times out of 10 over 1000 calories. Usually more.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Alert the presses. Oh wait.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Oh it's been awhile since a Chipotle thread bounced around the forums. Yawn
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Wow. Big surprise.
  • txrn123
    txrn123 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I know!! I went to their website where they let you custom design what you get to help you add up the calories and mine was over 700!!! Best way around it would be to eat half and safe half for another meal maybe the next day.
  • txrn123
    txrn123 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »

Actually, they split from McDs years ago.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Quote from the first paragraph of the article: But here's the thing, Chipotle fans: You're not eating healthy when you're there. Says who? 1,070 is very well in the realm of a"healthy" and appropriate meal for many. And who says you can't split a meal, or save the rest for dinner, if it's a larger portion than one needs? I do that often, or if I want the whole thing (not just Chipotle, in general), I make room for it in my day.

Yup.

My evening meal is rarely sub 1000cal.

I've never eaten a burrito, I shall endeavor to seek one out.
  • angiepangie43
    angiepangie43 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love Chipotle! I think it id healthy. I mostly eat low carb. Generally I get thr bowl eith no rice.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't go to Chipotle much, but my 2 preferred Chipotle orders are 370 and 405 calories--I just checked. Eh, that's not even as large as the lunch I normally bring from home. If I add guac it's a lot more, but same if I add an avocado to any lunch.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    I consume 1200 calories almost every time I go to Chipotle, except for the two times I went and got double wrapped, triple meat burritos with extra rice and extra cheese, those were 2000 calorie burritos. As long as you know what you're consuming, why does it matter what that caloric value is?

I think that's the key point of the article. While MFP'ers tend to be calorie savvy (that's why we're here!), the general public is probably unaware that the average meal ordered at Chipotle far exceeds the average meal from McDonald's, Burger King, Taco Bell, etc. Just because it's old news to us doesn't mean it's common knowledge. One of the jobs of media is to inform and I think that's the main intent here.

For me personally, I tend to avoid lunch at places like Chipotle because the calories add up too quickly and it's a real nuisance to have to deal with leftovers in the middle of my work day or even on weekends when I want to be out and about for a couple more hours after lunch. The whole point of fast food is convenience and cutting the portions in half for later is a real bother.
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I only have chipotle on splurge days because who knows how they cook and prepare ingredients at each location.

I always get the Vegan bowl..probably shouldnt be too bad for me
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Say it isn't so, who would have thunk it