The Average Chipotle Customer Consumes 1,070 Calories Per Visit (New York Times)

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I can fit 1000 calories for lunch without too many problems if I plan ahead, to be honest... as long as it's filling!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    actually the numbers mean nothing....

... using data culled from online delivery service GrubHub. But that data set, using only online orders, might be skewing the calorie content of the "average" order ...

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

... using data culled from online delivery service GrubHub. But that data set, using only online orders, might be skewing the calorie content of the "average" order ...

Seriously, that's how they came to this conclusion, typical.

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Tastes like *kitten* to me. You can tell the salsa is canned from the metallic taste, and no, it's definitely not cilantro flavoring.

I would rather blow 1000 calories in a real authentic Mexican / Spanish restaurant.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Tastes like *kitten* to me. You can tell the salsa is canned from the metallic taste, and no, it's definitely not cilantro flavoring.

I would rather blow 1000 calories in a real authentic Mexican / Spanish restaurant.

Yeah honestly I had a bowl there and it tasted just like what I make at home, except for more calories... haven't been back since. Don't see the point.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Good point. That's a ridiculous basis for the conclusion.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    How does GrubHub discern how much people eat in one sitting? How do they know a fully loaded burrito isn't being shared?

And, seriously, rice, beans, meat, veg....all good for you. Just eat as much of the burrito as fits in your caloric goals. Big guy? Eat a big burrito. If you're a middle aged lady with bones like a bird? (I resemble that remark) Eat half of the big burrito.

Even when I wasn't limiting calories, I couldn't eat a whole one, anyways. Two meals from one burrito is a pretty good deal. Plus, last time I was there, I got my water in that cool Neil Gaiman cup.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Surprise!!! Food has calories.
  • dragthewaters
    dragthewaters Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    There's nothing necessarily wrong with eating a 1070 calorie meal. It all depends on the context in which it is eaten. For example when I go to Chipotle it's usually on the weekend after either waking up late and not having breakfast, or having a very light breakfast (like a smoothie). And this is not taking into account that some people might only eat half their meal and then save the rest as leftovers.

Even taking the number of calories into account, Chipotle still has way healthier ingredients than most other fast food places.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Here is what I ate at Chipotle on Sunday:

Burrito Bol:
    Chipotle Mexican Grill - Black Beans, 4 oz. 120
    Chipotle - Chicken (Meat Only), 4 oz 190
    Chipotle - Cilantro Lime Brown Rice, 4 oz. 160
    Chipotle - Green Tomatillo Salsa, 0.25 fl. oz. 2
    My Chipotle Guac - Guacamole , 1.8 oz. 77
    Chipotle Mexican Grill - Roasted Chili-Corn Salsa, 0.5 oz 11
    Chipotle - Cheese, 1 oz 100
    Chipotle - Sour Cream Updated, 1.5 oz. 86

746 Calories.

If I would have opted for the hard tacos that would have put me close to a thousand.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I like chipotle. I usually order a bowl and eat it between two meals, so the calories are more like 375-400
  • FloraJL
    FloraJL Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I've saved my regular Chipotle order as a meal within MFP. It's 775 calories. And it keeps me full so I have no desire to snack later in the day. And it's delicious!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    this is relevant/surprising…why?

It's not.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Exactly. And NYT speculated that since it didn't include fountain drinks, the in-store orders would probably be more calorific. What? No diet or unsweetened tea?

Also, I have thrown food away almost every time I've been to Chipotle, but I over-order when I order in and eat every bite.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    txrn123 wrote: »
    I know!! I went to their website where they let you custom design what you get to help you add up the calories and mine was over 700!!! Best way around it would be to eat half and safe half for another meal maybe the next day.

thats what i do with most meals out! Then i get to enjoy it twice! LOLOL!

that said, theres not a chipotle anywhere near me and ive never eaten at one. i feel so deprived..... LOLOL
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Any place I eat out at is 9 times out of 10 over 1000 calories. Usually more.

Pretty much this. When I go out to eat I don't think it is even remotely possible to stay under 1000.

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    We went out to Chipotle to lunch, according to their nutrition calculator, my meal was ~1400 cals not including chips
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Surprised it's that low. I generally shoot for under 700 calories, and that takes some pre-planning (my go-to is a double barbacoa salad, no rice, no beans, fajita veggies plus a bunch of salsas and guacamole. Loads of flavor, plenty of protein and good fats -- and worth every freaking calorie). Walking in blind, you could double that 700 with no effort. OTOH, unlike most places, they've got an excellent pre-planning tool on their website.

Now Bonefish Grill...that's a spot where it's damn near impossible to walk out under 2000 calories, and still not feel full.