Need to understand body fat %!

Options
Hi everyone

So I've gone form 134lbs to 121lbs, which is great, but I'm not sure how much lower it'll go now ( I always hit a wall at 121lbs!).

I've been focussing more on body fat % recently as that's the main thing I'm concerned about keeping down, it's currently 22.4%.

At present, I do 30 minutes of interval training on the cross trainer 4-5 days a week (with occasional strength work too). Is this the right sort of thing to be doing to get my body fat % down? And if so, what % should I be aiming for?

My stomach is fine, it's my legs that are the problem. I know you can't spot reduce, but I'm hoping my legs will shrink a little between now and my holiday in November.

Please advise!

Thank you :smile:

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    firstly a bodyfat % of 22.4 is nothing to be concerned with. It sperfectly healthy.

However i would look at doing regular strength/resistance training, ensuring you eat enough protein and dont have too large a deficit.

• katiejanecollins
    katiejanecollins Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I know, but I'm not happy with my legs at all (I look weirdly proportioned in comparison to my top half). Is the amount of cardio I'm doing ok? I eat chicken and veg often, so hoping that helps. Carbs are my issue!!! What do you mean by deficit?
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Eating at a deficit means you’re taking in fewer calories than you’re using. The the calories in/calories out theory of weight loss, you have to burn fat (and potentially muscle) to keep going. However, eventually your body adjusts to the new calorie intake and slows your metabolism. So it is important to eat at a very small deficit (500 calories or less) to make the weight loss sustainable.

Part of the issue, especially if you only do cardio, is that you’ll also be losing muscle while your losing fat. To keep this from happening, it is recommended you lift weights and ensure your protein intake is sufficient. If you take the time to train hard (lift heavy) and eat well (good macros), you can maintain muscle, lose fat and your bf % will go down.

Since you’re already in the healthy bf% range, going below that (to get to athletic ranges) is going to be challenging. It is also likely going to take a paradigm shift. Can you take having your legs actually get slightly bigger (as you add muscle) and/or see the scale go up (as you add muscle)? Most scale watchers can’t. They panic, and they quit.

To get where you want to go, you’re likely going to have to cycle between bulking (adding muscle) and cutting (strict dieting to lose fat). That takes commitment.
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    I eat 1600 calories a day and don't want to go below that, last time I did I ended up at the doctors feeling dizzy and lethargic all the time. I definitely DO NOT want bulky legs, I just want to lose about 1inch of fat on each, surely cardio and a bit of weight training will help this? I burn around 200 calories in a workout, I must be misunderstanding what you're saying as there's no way I can eat less that 200 calories a day?!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I eat 1600 calories a day and don't want to go below that, last time I did I ended up at the doctors feeling dizzy and lethargic all the time. I definitely DO NOT want bulky legs, I just want to lose about 1inch of fat on each, surely cardio and a bit of weight training will help this? I burn around 200 calories in a workout, I must be misunderstanding what you're saying as there's no way I can eat less that 200 calories a day?!

where do you get anyone saying eat 200 cals a day?
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    "So it is important to eat at a very small deficit (500 calories or less) to make the weight loss sustainable." I know it can't be right - but I don't know what Allan is actually meaning.
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    Also, everyone says to 'eat less than you burn', which doesn't make sense
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    i think you've got confused by the deficit explanation

you have you BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) which is how many calories you can eat a day, if you eat exactly this about then you will neither lose or gain weight

if you want to lose weight you need to eat at a deficit to your BMR, so for example my BMR is about 2200, so to lose weight i eat 1700 calories a day which is 500 less than my BMR
  • BeTheChange352
    BeTheChange352 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    go here to learn some information about how weight loss works and figure out your TDEE.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Also, everyone says to 'eat less than you burn', which doesn't make sense

it makes perfect sense... you burn calories just by being alive, breathing, brain function etc etc, then you add in your daily movement, and then you add in any meaningful exercise, all of which is part of your TDEE - Total Daily Energy Expenditure.

You need to eat at a deficit from your TDEE to lose weight.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    sloseph wrote: »

you have you BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) which is how many calories you can eat a day, if you eat exactly this about then you will neither lose or gain weight

if you want to lose weight you need to eat at a deficit to your BMR, so for example my BMR is about 2200, so to lose weight i eat 1700 calories a day which is 500 less than my BMR

no, you're confusing BMR with TDEE
  • DragonLadyLiz
    DragonLadyLiz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Remember, when you exercise and put out more than you eat, you WILL lose the fat. You will also start to build muscle. Before you complain about how your legs look, look at the kind of exercises you are doing, and where the "problem areas" are on your legs. You might be seeing a build up of muscle. Check it out with a trainer if you go to a gym - you might get a free session there 1 time.
    Also, one thing that females forget is that if their body fat falls too far below a certain percentage (I think it is about 20%) you can find problems with your menstrual cycle.
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I'll just stick to my 1600 a day as I'm not really looking to lose more than 5lbs in total now. 1600 works well for me as it allows me to lose 0.5-1lbs a week. It's what MFP suggests, so I'll go with it!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Remember, when you exercise and put out more than you eat, you WILL lose the fat. You will also start to build muscle. Before you complain about how your legs look, look at the kind of exercises you are doing, and where the "problem areas" are on your legs. You might be seeing a build up of muscle. Check it out with a trainer if you go to a gym - you might get a free session there 1 time.
    Also, one thing that females forget is that if their body fat falls too far below a certain percentage (I think it is about 20%) you can find problems with your menstrual cycle.

OP isnt building muscle in a calorie deficit.

Women tend to lose their period if they are below 14% bodyfat.
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    sloseph wrote: »

no, you're confusing BMR with TDEE

oh balls, that's what happens when i try to be useful before i've had my morning coffee

• katiejanecollins
    Options
    Lol - if it's any consolation sloseph I don't even know what BMR and TDEE are... and I'm currently drinking my morning coffee ;)
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Lol - if it's any consolation sloseph I don't even know what BMR and TDEE are... and I'm currently drinking my morning coffee ;)

you havent read any of the responses on here then?
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    Yep, but it's going to take a bit more than a few answers to help me understand unfortunately!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Yep, but it's going to take a bit more than a few answers to help me understand unfortunately!

what do you still not understand?
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    So my BMR is 1297, and my TDEE is 1896. I eat 1600 calories a day and burn 200-300 calories 4-5 days a week. Basically, I'm just confused to 'if I'm doing it right' or not.