Why?!?!

Options
supah11
supah11 Posts: 71 Member
edited February 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I work out A LOT and I can' seem to lose weight. I'm no on strict diet but I watch my calorie intake everyday. Should I go in strict diet? I don't want tol because I'm sure I wouldn't be eating like this forever so I want to eat normally but on a strict calorie watch.

Replies

• TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    It's hard to speculate without knowing more details. What's your approximate age, height, and weight? When you say "workout", do you mean cardio and/or weight lifting? That makes a difference because weight lifting adds muscle mass, which is more dense than fat and will show up on the scales faster than does fat loss.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    supah11 wrote: »
    I work out A LOT and I can' seem to lose weight. I'm no on strict diet but I watch my calorie intake everyday. Should I go in strict diet? I don't want tol because I'm sure I wouldn't be eating like this forever so I want to eat normally but on a strict calorie watch.

open your diary
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing all your food? Are you including oil, butter, and anything you use to season your foods or cook with in you calorie logs? Are you using MFP exercise calorie estimates for your workouts, or a HRM? Are you eating back all of your exercise calories, or half? Your profile says you want to lose 14 pounds, if that is your goal you should be aiming for about a half a pound a week weight loss. What do you have your calorie goal set at? Maybe it is set too low and aggressive for your weight loss goals.

People are definitely going to need answers to those questions, your stats, and a peek at your diary if you want more help for your weight loss goals.
  • Florida_Superstar
    Florida_Superstar Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You mentioned you work out a lot, but diet plays a much greater role in weight control--much more than exercise. To answer your question, I don't think you should go on a "strict diet" because, as you already said, you won't be able to maintain that as a lifestyle. But if you want to lose weight you do have to accurately track your calories and consume less than you need. If you do that, you will lose weight--assuming no underlying medical issues. One other point is that some cardio machines and apps overestimate caloric expenditure during exercise, so even though you said you work out a lot, you may not be burning as much as the machine/apps are recording for your sessions. So if you are eating your base calories PLUS whatever you burned with exercise, you could be eating more than you need. Hope that helps! Good luck!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    barring some medical condition (probably very unlikely).... you are eating more than you think you are.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Do you have a history of eating a low amount of calories? Are you being very diligent about measuring out portions and weighing the food you eat? An option is that you are eating more than you think. If you are being very good about honestly logging your food, you're exercising hard, and you still cannot lose weight, then you may need to work your metabolism up with a reverse diet so you can get to a metabolic capacity that will allow you to reduce your body fat efficiently. Check this video out and see if you think that this is you.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHHzie6XRGk
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    if you are not losing, then you are eating in a surplus or at maintenance level.

do you own a food scale? If yes, do you weigh everything?

do you log everything that you eat?
  • supah11
    Options
    It's hard to speculate without knowing more details. What's your approximate age, height, and weight? When you say "workout", do you mean cardio and/or weight lifting? That makes a difference because weight lifting adds muscle mass, which is more dense than fat and will show up on the scales faster than does fat loss.

I do cardio and weight lifting.
  • supah11
    Options
    debubbie wrote: »
    Are you weighing all your food? Are you including oil, butter, and anything you use to season your foods or cook with in you calorie logs? Are you using MFP exercise calorie estimates for your workouts, or a HRM? Are you eating back all of your exercise calories, or half? Your profile says you want to lose 14 pounds, if that is your goal you should be aiming for about a half a pound a week weight loss. What do you have your calorie goal set at? Maybe it is set too low and aggressive for your weight loss goals.

People are definitely going to need answers to those questions, your stats, and a peek at your diary if you want more help for your weight loss goals.

I am honest with my food log here and I always make sure to eat half. I think my metabolism is slow :(
  • supah11
    Options
    xtrain321 wrote: »
    You mentioned you work out a lot, but diet plays a much greater role in weight control--much more than exercise. To answer your question, I don't think you should go on a "strict diet" because, as you already said, you won't be able to maintain that as a lifestyle. But if you want to lose weight you do have to accurately track your calories and consume less than you need. If you do that, you will lose weight--assuming no underlying medical issues. One other point is that some cardio machines and apps overestimate caloric expenditure during exercise, so even though you said you work out a lot, you may not be burning as much as the machine/apps are recording for your sessions. So if you are eating your base calories PLUS whatever you burned with exercise, you could be eating more than you need. Hope that helps! Good luck!

Thank u so much for the info! :)
  • ndj1979
    Options

still need more info ...

age/height/weight
    how long have you been working out?
    how long dieting?
    do you own a food scale?
    what is your weight lifting routine?
    How many days a week working out?
    Do you do cardio on off days, or on weight lifting days?
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

I am honest with my food log here and I always make sure to eat half. I think my metabolism is slow :(

You can be honest with your food log without being accurate.
  • supah11
    Options
    terbusha wrote: »
    Do you have a history of eating a low amount of calories? Are you being very diligent about measuring out portions and weighing the food you eat? An option is that you are eating more than you think. If you are being very good about honestly logging your food, you're exercising hard, and you still cannot lose weight, then you may need to work your metabolism up with a reverse diet so you can get to a metabolic capacity that will allow you to reduce your body fat efficiently. Check this video out and see if you think that this is you.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHHzie6XRGk

Yea, i think my metabolism is slow too :( i want to lose fat and get toned at the same time but its like i weigh the same for a year now

• ndj1979
    Options

food scale..yes/no?
  • supah11
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Can you open your diary?
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    if you are not losing, then you are eating in a surplus or at maintenance level.

Yes i'm back on loggin in my food everyday. There are times when im lazy but logging in or not i still weigh the same. Sucks for me :(

• ndj1979
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Can you open your diary?
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Yes i'm back on loggin in my food everyday. There are times when im lazy but logging in or not i still weigh the same. Sucks for me :(

I meant do you have a food scale that you weigh your food with?

you said you got lazy and are just getting back into it...

how long have you been back into it for?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Definitely need more info.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I exercise a lot too and did hit a stall. I need to know more about you to answer this question!.

Open your diary and answer the questions below...

quote="ndj1979;31355383"]

still need more info ...

age/height/weight
    how long have you been working out?
    how long dieting?
    do you own a food scale?
    what is your weight lifting routine?
    How many days a week working out?
    Do you do cardio on off days, or on weight lifting days?[/quote]