Lose all the weight? or find balance with muscle gain, and toning?

Options
Crosfitjunkie
Crosfitjunkie Posts: 127 Member
edited February 2015 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
So I am writing this, because I wanted to know if others were experiencing the same thing I was. So I am 6'2'' and 226 lbs, and have lost 50lbs in last two years. I started doing crossfit everyday incorporating in cardio, and weight training for 30 minutes everyday no breaks. I have found over the last 2 months that I cant seem to lose any more weight even with a deficit of 400-600 calories a day after working out. I do notice however that I am building some muscle, and have started to tone up everywhere which is nice, and one of my goals. I do understand that muscle = weight gain. So I need to ask everyone, where do you go from here? Should I expect to lose more weight in this body frame, Should I be more concerned with losing more weight, and get down to what the doctors say is my ideal weight at 185lbs per BMI......Looking for some insight or experiences from others to help me understand where those who have seem to hit a wall in their weight loss goals, but are toning nicely, and gaining muscle and what an ideal weight should be for someone looking for someone my height with the understanding of incorporating some muscle gain and toning....

Thanks!

Replies

• rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Recalculate your goals, and start weighing your food. All of it. You aren't eating at a 400-600 calorie deficit if you've stalled out.

Also, "toning" = low body fat, and muscle gain. Generally speaking, you can do one or the other, but doing both is extremely slow.

Either eat at a deficit to lose bodyfat, or get serious about your strength training (get rid of the silly crossfit regimen - it's dangerous and lousy form) and eat at a small surplus to gain muscle.

What are your macros? I suggest you eat at 40/30/30 (carbs, fat, protein) whether cutting or bulking, to maximize your muscle growth/retention.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Are you happy with your measurements? I'd go from those. If you are weighing the same and your clothes are looser then perhaps you are recomping. It's been known to happen with Crossfitters.

Protein .8g per pound of body weight.
    Fat .35g per pound of body weight.
    Fill the rest with carbs. Whether bulking cutting or maintaining. the three macros are extremely important.

Go to the bulking forum for expert advice!

Oh and congratulations! Watch out for injuries though. Hospitals see a mighty lot of injuries from crossfit due to the competitive and fast group approach. That's why it gets a bad rap. I don't like the idea of it at all. But I'd probably enjoy it if I wasn't having to watch old injuries like a hawk and lift in perfect form.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    curious - have you been lifting the entire two years?
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Smart! New crossfit regime = water retention!?
  • ndj1979
    Options

just trying to figure out if he really is adding muscle in a deficit, i.e. newbie gains..

OR

if he is eating at or above maintenance and doing recomp/ slow bulk?

OR

reduction in body fat + increased water retention is making muscles appear to be bigger...

• Crosfitjunkie
    Options
    rand486 wrote: »
    Recalculate your goals, and start weighing your food. All of it. You aren't eating at a 400-600 calorie deficit if you've stalled out.

Also, "toning" = low body fat, and muscle gain. Generally speaking, you can do one or the other, but doing both is extremely slow.

Either eat at a deficit to lose bodyfat, or get serious about your strength training (get rid of the silly crossfit regimen - it's dangerous and lousy form) and eat at a small surplus to gain muscle.

What are your macros? I suggest you eat at 40/30/30 (carbs, fat, protein) whether cutting or bulking, to maximize your muscle growth/retention.

Thanks for the advice. When you say doing both is slow does this mean you shouldn't expect to see good to great results in a year or two? I am in it for the long haul, as it is becoming addicting. :) As far as my macros you are suggesting those numbers in grams?
  • Crosfitjunkie
    Options
    Are you happy with your measurements? I'd go from those. If you are weighing the same and your clothes are looser then perhaps you are recomping. It's been known to happen with Crossfitters.

Protein .8g per pound of body weight.
    Fat .35g per pound of body weight.
    Fill the rest with carbs. Whether bulking cutting or maintaining. the three macros are extremely important.

Go to the bulking forum for expert advice!

Oh and congratulations! Watch out for injuries though. Hospitals see a mighty lot of injuries from crossfit due to the competitive and fast group approach. That's why it gets a bad rap. I don't like the idea of it at all. But I'd probably enjoy it if I wasn't having to watch old injuries like a hawk and lift in perfect form.

Hi. I am definitely pleased with the progress, but I want more. Thanks for the congrats. I will definitely watch out for injuries, and I am contemplating getting some further advice / training from some qualified weight lifting trainers to make sure I stay in good form.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    what is your current body fat % OP?
  • Crosfitjunkie
    Options

just trying to figure out if he really is adding muscle in a deficit, i.e. newbie gains..

OR

OR

reduction in body fat + increased water retention is making muscles appear to be bigger...

Hi. If I had to choose from these three options I would say #1 is probably more likely. I had been running for the last 2 years, but incorporated the weight training piece / crossfit piece over the last 6 months. But I am truly in a deficit of 400-600 calories according to the food tracking info on this site. Not sure how accurate food data is, and calorie burn is on this site, but any advice would be appreciated thanks!
  • ndj1979
    Options

OR

OR

Hi. If I had to choose from these three options I would say #1 is probably more likely. I had been running for the last 2 years, but incorporated the weight training piece / crossfit piece over the last 6 months. But I am truly in a deficit of 400-600 calories according to the food tracking info on this site. Not sure how accurate food data is, and calorie burn is on this site, but any advice would be appreciated thanks!

six months being new to lifting then yes you would have some newbie gains, but if you are still in a deficit you would expect those to start petering out about now.

Do you use a food scale to weigh all solid foods?
  • Crosfitjunkie
    Options

OR

OR

six months being new to lifting then yes you would have some newbie gains, but if you are still in a deficit you would expect those to start petering out about now.

Thanks! No I do not currently weigh my foods, but I am however measuring portion size per food package serving size label info. Do you have suggestions on a good scale?

• ndj1979
    Options

OR

OR

Thanks! No I do not currently weigh my foods, but I am however measuring portion size per food package serving size label info. Do you have suggestions on a good scale?

I would suggest getting a food scale and weighing ALL of your solids. More than likely you are underestimating your calories and you are not really in a 400 to 500 calorie deficit.

you can find one on amazon for 20.00 or at a local mall ...

• Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Actually when I hit goal weight, I'm going to try something. I'm going to exercise daily, eat as much as I want, but keep my carbs between 15 and 35 and see if I can stop counting calories and still maintain. Of course I'll keep a very close eye on the scale during this experiment.

I suspect cheese might be a problem, though.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »
    Actually when I hit goal weight, I'm going to try something. I'm going to exercise daily, eat as much as I want, but keep my carbs between 15 and 35 and see if I can stop counting calories and still maintain. Of course I'll keep a very close eye on the scale during this experiment.

I suspect cheese might be a problem, though.

15 to 35 grams of carbs or percents?????
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options

Thanks for the advice. When you say doing both is slow does this mean you shouldn't expect to see good to great results in a year or two? I am in it for the long haul, as it is becoming addicting. :) As far as my macros you are suggesting those numbers in grams?

Percent. 40/30/30 is a ratio, effectively. If that were grams, you'd be one hangry guy! haha.

You will see results either way, but bulking/cutting is considerably faster than an at-maintenance recomp.

I'm kind of forced into a maintenance recomp, as I need to stay within my weight division for competitions, so I can attest that any progress is very slow this way.
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    Percentages of macros has gone out with the arc.

You need to adjust everyday to your needs.

Get your TDEE without exercise then work out your exercise burns with a HRM and trial and error and add them.

Then do you additions/subtractions from there. Ie bulking add 500 cals per day, cutting take away 10-15% of cals etc.
  • Crosfitjunkie
    Options

Percent. 40/30/30 is a ratio, effectively. If that were grams, you'd be one hangry guy! haha.

You will see results either way, but bulking/cutting is considerably faster than an at-maintenance recomp.

I'm kind of forced into a maintenance recomp, as I need to stay within my weight division for competitions, so I can attest that any progress is very slow this way.

40/30/30 grams equals binge diet hahaha! Anyways thanks for advice, and will keep this in mind for this last push to get to my goals. By the way what are you training for if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks Again
  • Crosfitjunkie
    Options
    Percentages of macros has gone out with the arc.

You need to adjust everyday to your needs.

Get your TDEE without exercise then work out your exercise burns with a HRM and trial and error and add them.

Then do you additions/subtractions from there. Ie bulking add 500 cals per day, cutting take away 10-15% of cals etc.

Don't mean to be the nooby here, but Not sure what TDEE and HRM stand for. I can however do the calculations to add or delete protein/carb/fat for desired strategy for bulking/cutting.

thanks again :)