Lose all the weight? or find balance with muscle gain, and toning?

Options
2»

Replies

• Crosfitjunkie
    Crosfitjunkie Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    curious - have you been lifting the entire two years?

Smart! New crossfit regime = water retention!?

just trying to figure out if he really is adding muscle in a deficit, i.e. newbie gains..

OR

if he is eating at or above maintenance and doing recomp/ slow bulk?

OR

reduction in body fat + increased water retention is making muscles appear to be bigger...

Hi. If I had to choose from these three options I would say #1 is probably more likely. I had been running for the last 2 years, but incorporated the weight training piece / crossfit piece over the last 6 months. But I am truly in a deficit of 400-600 calories according to the food tracking info on this site. Not sure how accurate food data is, and calorie burn is on this site, but any advice would be appreciated thanks!

six months being new to lifting then yes you would have some newbie gains, but if you are still in a deficit you would expect those to start petering out about now.

Do you use a food scale to weigh all solid foods?
    Thanks! No I do not currently weigh my foods, but I am however measuring portion size per food package serving size label info. Do you have suggestions on a good scale?

I would suggest getting a food scale and weighing ALL of your solids. More than likely you are underestimating your calories and you are not really in a 400 to 500 calorie deficit.

you can find one on amazon for 20.00 or at a local mall ...

Thank you! I'm going to pick up one up today. Never thought I would get to this point of weighing food. I thought just paying attention to serving sizes on packages was sufficient... I guess I was wrong? Anyways going to do some research over the weekend of proactive food preparation, keeping in mind what you all have said in regards to strategies thanks!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Read this for TDEE

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

HRM is heart rate monitor
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    curious - have you been lifting the entire two years?

Smart! New crossfit regime = water retention!?

just trying to figure out if he really is adding muscle in a deficit, i.e. newbie gains..

OR

if he is eating at or above maintenance and doing recomp/ slow bulk?

OR

reduction in body fat + increased water retention is making muscles appear to be bigger...

Hi. If I had to choose from these three options I would say #1 is probably more likely. I had been running for the last 2 years, but incorporated the weight training piece / crossfit piece over the last 6 months. But I am truly in a deficit of 400-600 calories according to the food tracking info on this site. Not sure how accurate food data is, and calorie burn is on this site, but any advice would be appreciated thanks!

six months being new to lifting then yes you would have some newbie gains, but if you are still in a deficit you would expect those to start petering out about now.

Do you use a food scale to weigh all solid foods?
    Thanks! No I do not currently weigh my foods, but I am however measuring portion size per food package serving size label info. Do you have suggestions on a good scale?

I would suggest getting a food scale and weighing ALL of your solids. More than likely you are underestimating your calories and you are not really in a 400 to 500 calorie deficit.

you can find one on amazon for 20.00 or at a local mall ...

Thank you! I'm going to pick up one up today. Never thought I would get to this point of weighing food. I thought just paying attention to serving sizes on packages was sufficient... I guess I was wrong? Anyways going to do some research over the weekend of proactive food preparation, keeping in mind what you all have said in regards to strategies thanks!

yea man, eyeballing leads to be about a ten to thirty percent under estimation ...so that portion size that you think is 200 calories is really 400 calories...

as you want to get leaner/add muscle/have more specific goals you really need to tighten up logging and micro/macro adherence...

• Crosfitjunkie
    Options
    So just a quick update. Bought a scale over the weekend, and started weighing food. So I am on my 4th day after purchase, and I have found that what I had been logging was pretty much right on, a few things off here and there, but not enough to put me in a non-deficit mode. I definitely feel better about my current deficit, and that after 6 months of crossfit / weight training, that I am starting to see some decent results in toning, strength. I still seem to be holding steady in weight though over the last couple of weeks.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    I'm glad you got the scale but it sounds like you nailed the calories anyway. Oh well. How do you calculate your calorie burns? Maybe you are not getting that right. Something is not jiving. Or maybe you just need patience. Sometimes when you are really close to your goal the weight comes off slower. Even though I am a woman it took me 4 months to lose 20 pounds.
  • jmichaelminton
    jmichaelminton Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    From personal experience, I'd say it's better to focus on weight loss without worrying too much about getting muscle mass. Just be sure to do calisthenics or weight lifting.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    When I first started lifting, I plateaued for about 6 weeks, then the weight started coming off again. I'm given to understand that this is fairly normal.
  • Crosfitjunkie
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I'm glad you got the scale but it sounds like you nailed the calories anyway. Oh well. How do you calculate your calorie burns? Maybe you are not getting that right. Something is not jiving. Or maybe you just need patience. Sometimes when you are really close to your goal the weight comes off slower. Even though I am a woman it took me 4 months to lose 20 pounds.

Hi :) I am calculating my calorie burn at about 20 calories per minute for my crossfit routines. I am doing these 30 minutes a day /5 days a week at lunchtime. I also just started doing more weight lifting specific training at night 3 times a week, and I always run/walk at lake murray or the beach every weekend at least for an hour or so. After thinking about what I really wanted my body to look like in the end, I am figuring 210-215 will probably be my ideal body weight when Its all said and done. Which means I need to lose another 15-20 lbs of junk, and putting on 10-15lbs of more muscle. Maybe because I was so big (275lbs 2 years ago) and (250lbs 5 months ago) I am currently at 225lbs and do know that I am finally toning up, and I am liking some of what I am seeing the last month or so. I am figuring with my body type, 215 is probably a good ultimate weight for me when its all said and done.

• MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I have found over the last 2 months that I cant seem to lose any more weight even with a deficit of 400-600 calories a day after working out.

You're eating more than you think.

• Crosfitjunkie
    Options
    When I first started lifting, I plateaued for about 6 weeks, then the weight started coming off again. I'm given to understand that this is fairly normal.

Hmmm.. Interesting. I have been lifting for 6 months with the crossfit, but hit this wall about 2 months ago with little to no weight loss which is frustrating. I know I still need to lose 15lbs of junk to get to about 15-17%. Seem to be fluctuating right now between 227 to 225 with no further progress down. besides the crossfit, I am only doing 1 actual run though which is about two miles at a 7:30 pace with another mile or so walking per week. Maybe I should step this up some more? When I am doing the crossfit though, I am in full dripping sweat after 30 minutes... When I'm weight training. not so much...
  • Crosfitjunkie
    Options
    I have found over the last 2 months that I cant seem to lose any more weight even with a deficit of 400-600 calories a day after working out.

You're eating more than you think.

I started weighing food 4 days ago, and found it to be very close to what I was recording....
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    You are your own science experiment. Weigh all your foods, track your gross and net calorie intake everyday, with your exercise, weigh yourself everyday and keep a rolling 7 day average. Take measurements and pictures. Use a heart rate monitor for your cardio burns.

Plot everything on a graph. You'll find out all the answers about what makes your metabolism tick.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Hi :) I am calculating my calorie burn at about 20 calories per minute for my crossfit routines. I am doing these 30 minutes a day /5 days a week at lunchtime. I also just started doing more weight lifting specific training at night 3 times a week, and I always run/walk at lake murray or the beach every weekend at least for an hour or so. After thinking about what I really wanted my body to look like in the end, I am figuring 210-215 will probably be my ideal body weight when Its all said and done. Which means I need to lose another 15-20 lbs of junk, and putting on 10-15lbs of more muscle. Maybe because I was so big (275lbs 2 years ago) and (250lbs 5 months ago) I am currently at 225lbs and do know that I am finally toning up, and I am liking some of what I am seeing the last month or so. I am figuring with my body type, 215 is probably a good ultimate weight for me when its all said and done.

I still think the calories you have burned per workout is overstated. When I put in your numbers on any online calculator I get about 315 calories per 30 minute session. Of course, any of these numbers you get are all just estimates anyway. So if you are stuck, it is because you are calculating incorrectly but if you are confident in your burn rates you just need to keep plugging away. You will get to your goal eventually. Whatever you do, don't get discouraged. Enjoy the process :)
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Is 1200 cals per hour burn a number from your heart rate monitor OP?
  • Crosfitjunkie
    Options
    Is 1200 cals per hour burn a number from your heart rate monitor OP?

Dont have a heart rate monitor, just used a stop watch a few times during my WOD's and Im pushing 155-165 BPM during training. Based on this i figure im burining about 560 calories per 30 minute session?