Because tomatoes and black beans was dull, I added more color

20150218_203526_zps5mxpwjfp.jpg
  • lynndot1
    lynndot1 Posts: 114 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    rand486 wrote: »
    lynndot1 wrote: »
    You can season them in the crockpot but I don't bother. I figure I'm going to end up seasoning them when I use them anyway and it takes a lot of seasoning to get flavor in that big crockpot.

I much prefer crockpot over traditional stovetop cooking...I can cook beans on the stovetop but it takes time and I hate trying to keep a simmer with an electric range. Makes me miss my gas range so much haha.

FYI, there are actual dangers to cooking certain types of beans at a low heat. Slow cookers are not a safe way of cooking beans.

http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodborneIllnessContaminants/CausesOfIllnessBadBugBook/ucm071092.htm
    Haha yes I know, thank you. Some beans do not do well with low heat cooking. Black beans are not one of those beans :) It's the red varieties (and kidney beans for sure) for the most part that have that issue and some of the beige as well. But black beans, chickpeas, etc, are fine to do in a slow cooker. Saying "slow cookers are not a safe way of cooking beans" is painting them all in the same light which they are definitely not haha. But you're right I should have specified in my original post that not all beans are good for slow cooking...was mostly just referring to black beans since that was the OP's question. I've been slow cooking black beans and chickpeas off and on for years now and haven't had any problems with them...and you would know if you messed up haha. The reaction from ill prepared beans is not subtle. Brief but very intense food poisoning.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I soak my beans overnight and boil them for an hour. This is my ten year olds favorite food!

Black bean salsa

Black beans
    Skinned de seeded chopped fresh tomatoes
    Chopped red onion
    Lime
    Olive oil
    Salt
    Cilantro (coriander)
    Red chilli

Mix, let marinade and eat!

Never thought of freezing them, thanks guys.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I cooked up a pot of black beans earlier today and froze 3 portions of 2 cups each in addition to the 2 cups I used for my dish. Tonight's supper was yummy!

Black Bean Enchilada Casserole

4.00 oz(s), Monterey Jack Cheese
    1.00 cup(s), Fat Free Sour Cream
    6.00 stalks, Green Onions, sliced
    1.00 tsp(s), Ground Cumin
    1.00 tsp(s), Spices - Chili powder
    1.00 pepper, Peppers - Jalapeno, raw diced
    1 cup cooked Brown Rice
    12.00 each, 6" Soft Corn Tortilla
    1.00 container (2 3/10 cups ea.), Red Enchilada Sauce
    2.00 cup, Beans - Black, cooked, boiled, without salt

Mix 2 oz cheese with the rest of the ingredients except the sauce and tortillas. Pour 1/4 c sauce into a baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick spray(I used 9x11 but smaller would also work). Dredge 6 tortillas (both sides) one at a time in the enchilada sauce and lay in the baking dish, overlapping. Spread 1/2 of the bean mixture on top. Dredge the other 6 tortillas and lay on top, again overlapping. Spread the remaining bean mixture on top. Pour the rest of the enchilada sauce over top and sprinkle the remaining 2 oz cheese. Bake 350° for about 40 minutes.

Makes 6 servings 312 calories, 44 g carb, 7 g fat, 15 g protein, 859 mg sodium, 10 g fiber
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I think I have 10 quart bags of black bean soup in my freezer now. I make a big batch and then any time we have a mexican dish at home I have a few cups to lessen the impact of tortillas and cheese with a filling appetizer of soup.