Does Coconut Oil really help with fat loss?

Options
I have heard that a tblsp of coconut oil taken daily helps with fat loss. Can anyone verify this? I don't want to waste 130 of my daily calories on oil, if this is just a myth.

TIA

Replies

• maura1110
    maura1110 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    no - that is a myth.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is what helps with weight loss
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    why would it help with weight loss?

it does make my skin nice and soft, though.... LOL and its really good for my dog's skin....
  • lenkearney
    lenkearney Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I heard this also, and tried adding to my coffee.

While I am not endorsing this, i can say on the three days i did this- I just had coffee for breakfast and did not feel hungry in the morning.

Today I added some protein powder and I did not feel hungry. I felt like I wanted to eat, but that was muscle memory- I was not hungry. I will be trying this for a while.

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Only if you follow it up with a coffee enema and a juice cleanse.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    lenkearney wrote: »

While I am not endorsing this, i can say on the three days i did this- I just had coffee for breakfast and did not feel hungry in the morning.

Today I added some protein powder and I did not feel hungry. I felt like I wanted to eat, but that was muscle memory- I was not hungry. I will be trying this for a while.
    Sometimes words fail me
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I like using coconut oil sometimes just because I like the flavor. I mostly use it for my dogs.....they love a big spoonful to eat and sometimes I put it on their skin. I use it on my hands too.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Myth. If you like it, use it like you would any other oil. If you don't like it, don't use it. It is no better or no worse than any other oil.
  • carolynmo1969
    carolynmo1969 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    A tbsp of oil is a tbsp of fat.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    lenkearney wrote: »

Tomorrow you'll add a fried egg. On Friday, a slice of bacon. And on Saturday, another egg. Sunday, pancakes.

:p
  • Auto_K
    Options
    Does it help with fat loss? Nope, no way. If it did help, I'd be skinny as a rail because I cook with it nearly every day.

But you can throw some in a wok and it makes some awesome stir fry. Just make sure you measure out exactly how much you need and pay attention to serving sizes. One tablespoon will usually get the job done and it's not any more calorie-dense than most standard cooking oils.

I tried the "bulletproof coffee" technique where you add coconut oil and grass-fed butter to coffee to prevent the caffeine crash. It seemed to help but could have just been placebo effect. Anyway, I can just drink black tea instead of coffee, avoid the caffeine crash and avoid the extra calories from the coconut oil and butter. So, like others have said, use it if you like it, don't if you don't.
  • LiveForTheWilderness
    LiveForTheWilderness Posts: 57 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If you are going to be consuming a fat, coconut oil is one of the best ones for you. Being keto-adapted, I consume coconut oil for the MCT energy benefits.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    A tbsp of oil is a tbsp of fat.

Just keep in mind that dietary fat =/= body fat. dietary fat is great for hair, skin, nails, digestive system, vitamin absorption, etc. But keep in mind 1 gram of fat has 9 calories, so all oil is very calorie dense.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    If you are going to be consuming a fat, coconut oil is one of the best ones for you. Being keto-adapted, I consume coconut oil for the MCT benefits.

Jury still out on this one, but I'm not knocking coconut oil, it makes a delicious frothy coffee and can carry me through several extra hours between waking up and having my first meal.
  • sassymouth23
    Options
    In fact it does help with fat burning. The awesome nutrients and antioxidants help cleanse your body of toxins throughout the day. One table spoon a day is a great way to start. Use it in your coffee, substitute it for cooking oil and even moisturizer with it. There are tons of benefits coconut oil has . Do some research. It is NOT a myth.! (*) Johnelle
    edited February 2015
    Options
    In fact it does help with fat burning. The awesome nutrients and antioxidants help cleanse your body of toxins throughout the day. One table spoon a day is a great way to start. Use it in your coffee, substitute it for cooking oil and even moisturizer with it. There are tons of benefits coconut oil has . Do some research. It is NOT a myth.! (*) Johnelle

Which toxins? Exactly which toxins are you referring too?
  • fabulousmomma
    fabulousmomma Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    A calorie deficit is what helps with weight loss

Exactly:)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Can you provide a study that shows what toxins it cleans out that your body doesn't already do?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Lol - No

edited February 2015
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

Can you provide a study that shows what toxins it cleans out that your body doesn't already do?
    She sites research. Fails to provide links to said research.

lulz