Does Coconut Oil really help with fat loss?

Options

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    ep1520begzae.jpeg

lol good one
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Enough with the coconut oil already. You're using up all the resources of indigenous peoples.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    In fact it does help with fat burning. The awesome nutrients and antioxidants help cleanse your body of toxins throughout the day. One table spoon a day is a great way to start. Use it in your coffee, substitute it for cooking oil and even moisturizer with it. There are tons of benefits coconut oil has . Do some research. It is NOT a myth.! (*) Johnelle

Which toxins? Exactly which toxins are you referring too?

Also what nutrients? Coconut oil is pure fat. The lauric acid is good when applied to the hair because it is one of the few fatty acids that can penetrate the hair shaft, rather than just sit on it. Unfortunately, the lauric acid also is a saturated fat that raises total blood cholesterol. Caution should also be used if applying coconut oil to the skin because it has a comedogenic rating of 4 (out of 5). I usually use babassu oil. Very similar fatty acid profile as coconut but the comedogenic rating is 1.

No. Actually, it's quite the opposite. The medium chain of fatty acid of coconut oil decreases serum cholesterol and LDL levels.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25557818
    First of all, that is chickens, not humans. Secondly it increases total serum cholesterol http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12716665

• bear_bear95
    Options
    Myth..portion control and healthy foods help with weight loss.
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    [/quote]
    She sites research. Fails to provide links to said research. [/quote]

She does not cite research, just tells OP to do research.

cite
    sīt/Submit
    verb
    quote (a passage, book, or author) as evidence for or justification of an argument or statement, especially in a scholarly work.
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Only if you follow it up with a coffee enema and a juice cleanse.

Tin - you always forget the maple syrup and cayenne!
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    lenkearney wrote: »
    I heard this also, and tried adding to my coffee.

While I am not endorsing this, i can say on the three days i did this- I just had coffee for breakfast and did not feel hungry in the morning.

Today I added some protein powder and I did not feel hungry. I felt like I wanted to eat, but that was muscle memory- I was not hungry. I will be trying this for a while.

Are you serious ????
  • abuck_13
    Options
    Very quick google search, I find me this...

6 Ways Coconut Oil Helps You Lose Weight
    Coconut Oil Increases Your Energy Levels
    "Coconut oil is comprised mainly of the medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) lauric acid. This essential fatty acid metabolizes very differently when compared to other saturated fats such as those contained in most meat and dairy products. The human body does not store digested MCTs as fat, but instead transports them directly to the liver where MCTs are quickly converted into energy. What does this mean for your weight loss efforts?

Add two to three tablespoons of coconut oil to your daily dietary regimen. When consumed in the morning, coconut oil can boost your energy levels by an average of 5% for a full twenty-four hour period!"
    Oh yippy 5%! (how they even come to that number lulz...)

Curious I googled "are mct's transported to your liver?" Returned this...

Medium-Chain Triglycerides
    Therapeutic Uses
    "Preliminary evidence suggests that MCTs are a useful fat substitute for those who have difficulty digesting fat. This makes MCTs potentially helpful for people with AIDS , who need to find a way to gain weight but cannot digest fat easily. 1,2 MCTs might theoretically be helpful for those who have trouble digesting fatty foods because they lack the proper enzymes (pancreatic insufficiency), but taking digestive enzymes appears to be more effective. 3

Although this may sound paradoxical given the above, some evidence suggests that MCT consumption might also enhance the body's natural tendency to burn fat. 22-24,34 On this basis, the supplement has been proposed as a weight loss aid. Unfortunately, the results of studies have generally failed to find any weight loss benefits. 25,26,29,31,32 Some studies have, however, found that use of MCTs might produce improvements in body composition (ratio of fat to lean tissue). 29,31 A related supplement called structured medium- and long-chain triacylglycerols (SMLCT) has been created to provide the same potential benefits as MCTs, but in a form that can be used as cooking oil. In a preliminary double-blind trial, SMLCT has also shown some promise for enhancing body composition. 30

Athletes often sip carbohydrate-loaded drinks during exercise. MCTs may provide an alternative. Like other fats, they provide more energy per ounce than carbohydrates; but unlike normal fats, this energy can be released rapidly. 14 A number of double-blind trials using MCTs for improving high-intensity or endurance exercise performance have been conducted, but the results have been thoroughly inconsistent. 15-21 This is not surprising, as none of these studies enrolled enough participants to provide trustworthy results.

One placebo-controlled study found hints that use of MCTs by people with type 2 diabetes might improve insulin sensitivity and aid weight loss. 35

Larger studies are necessary to discover whether MCTs are really as useful for athletes as the supplement’s proponents claim."
    So the science isn't all there and while some of it might be promising, most of it doesn't support the claims being made by the quick-fix super-food magic-bullet diet crowd.

The only thing I remember about MCT's was the supposed benefit for power lifters / body builders. Parrillo sells something called CapTri or something like that, that I used years and years ago when I was doing some power lifting as it was recommended by some of the guys I worked out with. Used it as a cooking oil, not a direct supplement. Supposedly MCT's are supposed to be slightly lower than 9 calories per gram (something like 8.8 or 8.7 or something) and supposedly MCT's are supposed to be treated somewhere between a fat and a carb. I don't think thins was ever proven in any large scientific studies though, and paying $20+ for a bottle of cooking oil is not worth it to me as I really did not see any benefit. Of course, I am not a high performance athlete either.

I think the points above that I quoted before mine lay it out nicely. They really need to do large scale studies on athletes to see if there is anything to the MCT claims, but most athletes are not going to mess with what they already do.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    well I can say I gained weight with it(before I started logging everything), it hasnt helped my cholesterol, my daughters acne got worse when using it on her face(suppose to clear up acne) and it gives me the runs now when I use it to even cook with(doesnt matter how its "processed" or what brand).It hasnt done anything for me that it promotes. Oh and it supposedly gives you energy-yeah didnt happen either.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    tlblood wrote: »
    cite
    sīt/Submit
    verb
    quote (a passage, book, or author) as evidence for or justification of an argument or statement, especially in a scholarly work.

I apologize, but in my haste to make a timely comment, typos happen. The internet must be a real stress for some.

But those formatting errors, those are just perfectly acceptable I guess.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    abuck_13 wrote: »
    Very quick google search, I find me this...

6 Ways Coconut Oil Helps You Lose Weight
    Coconut Oil Increases Your Energy Levels
    "Coconut oil is comprised mainly of the medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) lauric acid. This essential fatty acid metabolizes very differently when compared to other saturated fats such as those contained in most meat and dairy products. The human body does not store digested MCTs as fat, but instead transports them directly to the liver where MCTs are quickly converted into energy. What does this mean for your weight loss efforts?

Add two to three tablespoons of coconut oil to your daily dietary regimen. When consumed in the morning, coconut oil can boost your energy levels by an average of 5% for a full twenty-four hour period!"
    Oh yippy 5%! (how they even come to that number lulz...)

Curious I googled "are mct's transported to your liver?" Returned this...

Medium-Chain Triglycerides
    Therapeutic Uses
    "Preliminary evidence suggests that MCTs are a useful fat substitute for those who have difficulty digesting fat. This makes MCTs potentially helpful for people with AIDS , who need to find a way to gain weight but cannot digest fat easily. 1,2 MCTs might theoretically be helpful for those who have trouble digesting fatty foods because they lack the proper enzymes (pancreatic insufficiency), but taking digestive enzymes appears to be more effective. 3

Although this may sound paradoxical given the above, some evidence suggests that MCT consumption might also enhance the body's natural tendency to burn fat. 22-24,34 On this basis, the supplement has been proposed as a weight loss aid. Unfortunately, the results of studies have generally failed to find any weight loss benefits. 25,26,29,31,32 Some studies have, however, found that use of MCTs might produce improvements in body composition (ratio of fat to lean tissue). 29,31 A related supplement called structured medium- and long-chain triacylglycerols (SMLCT) has been created to provide the same potential benefits as MCTs, but in a form that can be used as cooking oil. In a preliminary double-blind trial, SMLCT has also shown some promise for enhancing body composition. 30

Athletes often sip carbohydrate-loaded drinks during exercise. MCTs may provide an alternative. Like other fats, they provide more energy per ounce than carbohydrates; but unlike normal fats, this energy can be released rapidly. 14 A number of double-blind trials using MCTs for improving high-intensity or endurance exercise performance have been conducted, but the results have been thoroughly inconsistent. 15-21 This is not surprising, as none of these studies enrolled enough participants to provide trustworthy results.

One placebo-controlled study found hints that use of MCTs by people with type 2 diabetes might improve insulin sensitivity and aid weight loss. 35

Larger studies are necessary to discover whether MCTs are really as useful for athletes as the supplement’s proponents claim."
    So the science isn't all there and while some of it might be promising, most of it doesn't support the claims being made by the quick-fix super-food magic-bullet diet crowd.

The only thing I remember about MCT's was the supposed benefit for power lifters / body builders. Parrillo sells something called CapTri or something like that, that I used years and years ago when I was doing some power lifting as it was recommended by some of the guys I worked out with. Used it as a cooking oil, not a direct supplement. Supposedly MCT's are supposed to be slightly lower than 9 calories per gram (something like 8.8 or 8.7 or something) and supposedly MCT's are supposed to be treated somewhere between a fat and a carb. I don't think thins was ever proven in any large scientific studies though, and paying $20+ for a bottle of cooking oil is not worth it to me as I really did not see any benefit. Of course, I am not a high performance athlete either.

I think the points above that I quoted before mine lay it out nicely. They really need to do large scale studies on athletes to see if there is anything to the MCT claims, but most athletes are not going to mess with what they already do.

Interesting stuff. Some stuff I read also points that MCT could be beneficial to athletes.

For my money, I think I will stick with whey, creatine, and coffee.
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Good question, OP. I know a lot of people have been told coconut oil will magically increase metabolism. It's not true. It is filling and when I use to add it to my breakfast smoothies, I would stay satiated longer, but adding 100 calories of fat will do that for ya. I add ground flaxseed now.

Also, the Mayo Clinic article cited says,
    "Although eating coconut oil in moderation isn't likely to harm your health, it's not likely to help you lose weight either. For successful, long-term weight loss, stick to the basics — an overall healthy-eating plan and exercise."
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    In fact it does help with fat burning. The awesome nutrients and antioxidants help cleanse your body of toxins throughout the day. One table spoon a day is a great way to start. Use it in your coffee, substitute it for cooking oil and even moisturizer with it. There are tons of benefits coconut oil has . Do some research. It is NOT a myth.! (*) Johnelle

Also what nutrients? Coconut oil is pure fat. The lauric acid is good when applied to the hair because it is one of the few fatty acids that can penetrate the hair shaft, rather than just sit on it. Unfortunately, the lauric acid also is a saturated fat that raises total blood cholesterol. Caution should also be used if applying coconut oil to the skin because it has a comedogenic rating of 4 (out of 5). I usually use babassu oil. Very similar fatty acid profile as coconut but the comedogenic rating is 1.

No. Actually, it's quite the opposite. The medium chain of fatty acid of coconut oil decreases serum cholesterol and LDL levels.

First of all, that is chickens, not humans. Secondly it increases total serum cholesterol http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12716665

The article you quote is not about coconut oil. Coconut oil has more than just lauric acid in it. It does not behave like a regular saturated fat. It is still a subject of numerous researches.
  • abuck_13
    Options
    It basically boils down to this - there have been no long term scientific studies done to prove it one way or the other. If you want to believe it one way you will. Until they do a true scientific study, we cannot really prove anything. And, with there not really being a ton of money involved in it, I don't see it happening either.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,967 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

The article you quote is not about coconut oil. Coconut oil has more than just lauric acid in it. It does not behave like a regular saturated fat. It is still a subject of numerous researches.
    Well to be honest the article that has you all excited is about chickens.
    Look, coconut oil is metabolized differently then regular fats where they go directly to the liver and are converted to energy, and why all the hub bub with athletes and because they're used immediately for energy, like a carb there's less fat going to storage unlike other fats that do get stored, then used. Like most claims of miraculous benefits, there is some truth involve but it's mostly to take advantage of the gullible really if those said differences are showcased into a format that tries and deliver a unrealistic promise, most would be better off using it on their skin.......but with the coffee thingy going viral I don't see that happening anytime soon.

When I was researching coconut oil a few years ago to try and balance all the hype related to coconut oil, because I always try and do that was related to ketogenic diets and where the mct from the coconut oil was then extracted and fed to participants in an increasing percentage basis and if my memory serves, nothing really happened until the 40% of total calories, which translates to about 150 g's of MCT's based on a 2000 calorie diet and even then the results were pretty insignificant, but they were there, hence the little bit of truth that spurs this type of hype.

• itstimeRK
    itstimeRK Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    There are reasons to switch from other oils to coconut oil. I use it for any pan frying I do, like fish and stir fry. It doesn't feel as heavy in my stomach and is easier for me to digest.

That being said, it's a fact that if you eat excess calories, your body will store energy as glycogen or fat.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    well I can say I gained weight with it(before I started logging everything), it hasnt helped my cholesterol, my daughters acne got worse when using it on her face(suppose to clear up acne) and it gives me the runs now when I use it to even cook with(doesnt matter how its "processed" or what brand).It hasnt done anything for me that it promotes. Oh and it supposedly gives you energy-yeah didnt happen either.

For your daughter :smile:
    http://www.minimalistbeauty.com/oils-specifically-for-acne-prone-skin/
  • iambold
    iambold Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I use it to cook with , small changes can add up. I use it as a spread instead of butter of margarine to.
  • abuck_13
    Options
    iambold wrote: »
    I use it to cook with , small changes can add up. I use it as a spread instead of butter of margarine to.

What some people might notice is that coconut oil is a little bit of a bolder flavor profile, so they probably end up using a little less than they do with butter or other oils, so that would mean fewer calories. I don't know about using it as a spread as I have never tried, and don't plan on it, but if it is helping you by using less so you take in less calories, so much the better!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Myth. Compared to other oils, coconut oil is really high in saturated fat. Pass.