Does Coconut Oil really help with fat loss?

Options

Replies

• Auto_K
    Auto_K Posts: 8
    edited February 2015
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    In fact it does help with fat burning. The awesome nutrients and antioxidants help cleanse your body of toxins throughout the day. One table spoon a day is a great way to start. Use it in your coffee, substitute it for cooking oil and even moisturizer with it. There are tons of benefits coconut oil has . Do some research. It is NOT a myth.! (*) Johnelle
    I would also like to know which toxins it removes. I was under the impression that my liver and kidneys took care of the toxins in my body. If it turns out that coconut oil removes extra toxins, I'm gonna sell a bunch of coconuts to all the hospitals in the world and make a gazillion bajillion dollars.

• JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Myth. If you like it, use it like you would any other oil. If you don't like it, don't use it. It is no better or no worse than any other oil.

I have to disagree. All oils are certainly NOT the same.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Thanks for the info, and that's fine by me, because it's a quick satiety fix and good fuel for a workout, too. It doesn't have to burn fat if it helps me in other ways!
  • LiveForTheWilderness
    Options
    Research actually has proven that coconut oil does not help you lose fat.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/weight-loss/expert-answers/coconut-oil-and-weight-loss/faq-20058081

This one hits the nail on the head. There is no magic solution-only calories in versus calories out.

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    In fact it does help with fat burning. The awesome nutrients and antioxidants help cleanse your body of toxins throughout the day. One table spoon a day is a great way to start. Use it in your coffee, substitute it for cooking oil and even moisturizer with it. There are tons of benefits coconut oil has . Do some research. It is NOT a myth.! (*) Johnelle

What?? even if it does clean out toxins, how does that help with fat/weight loss? toxins =/= weight gain.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it be great if the solution to the obesity epidemic was simply to consume coconut oil?
    It would be so great to be able to continue to eat as many calories as I want just so long as I remember to stir in my tablespoon of coconut oil in my morning coffee.

I can see the appeal of such an idea. Surely you can too.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

What?? even if it does clean out toxins, how does that help with weight loss? toxins =/= weight gain.

Duh! Heavy metals. Think, McFly!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be great if the solution to the obesity epidemic was simply to consume coconut oil?
    It would be so great to be able to continue to eat as many calories as I want just so long as I remember to stir in my tablespoon of coconut oil in my morning coffee.

I can see the appeal of such an idea. Surely you can too.

SIGN ME UP! LOLOLOLOL forget counting calories. forget exercising. just add that coconut oil to my coffee and VICTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Very quick google search, I find me this...

6 Ways Coconut Oil Helps You Lose Weight
    Coconut Oil Increases Your Energy Levels
    "Coconut oil is comprised mainly of the medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) lauric acid. This essential fatty acid metabolizes very differently when compared to other saturated fats such as those contained in most meat and dairy products. The human body does not store digested MCTs as fat, but instead transports them directly to the liver where MCTs are quickly converted into energy. What does this mean for your weight loss efforts?

Add two to three tablespoons of coconut oil to your daily dietary regimen. When consumed in the morning, coconut oil can boost your energy levels by an average of 5% for a full twenty-four hour period!"
    Oh yippy 5%! (how they even come to that number lulz...)

Curious I googled "are mct's transported to your liver?" Returned this...

Medium-Chain Triglycerides
    Therapeutic Uses
    "Preliminary evidence suggests that MCTs are a useful fat substitute for those who have difficulty digesting fat. This makes MCTs potentially helpful for people with AIDS , who need to find a way to gain weight but cannot digest fat easily. 1,2 MCTs might theoretically be helpful for those who have trouble digesting fatty foods because they lack the proper enzymes (pancreatic insufficiency), but taking digestive enzymes appears to be more effective. 3

Although this may sound paradoxical given the above, some evidence suggests that MCT consumption might also enhance the body's natural tendency to burn fat. 22-24,34 On this basis, the supplement has been proposed as a weight loss aid. Unfortunately, the results of studies have generally failed to find any weight loss benefits. 25,26,29,31,32 Some studies have, however, found that use of MCTs might produce improvements in body composition (ratio of fat to lean tissue). 29,31 A related supplement called structured medium- and long-chain triacylglycerols (SMLCT) has been created to provide the same potential benefits as MCTs, but in a form that can be used as cooking oil. In a preliminary double-blind trial, SMLCT has also shown some promise for enhancing body composition. 30

Athletes often sip carbohydrate-loaded drinks during exercise. MCTs may provide an alternative. Like other fats, they provide more energy per ounce than carbohydrates; but unlike normal fats, this energy can be released rapidly. 14 A number of double-blind trials using MCTs for improving high-intensity or endurance exercise performance have been conducted, but the results have been thoroughly inconsistent. 15-21 This is not surprising, as none of these studies enrolled enough participants to provide trustworthy results.

One placebo-controlled study found hints that use of MCTs by people with type 2 diabetes might improve insulin sensitivity and aid weight loss. 35

Larger studies are necessary to discover whether MCTs are really as useful for athletes as the supplement’s proponents claim."
    So the science isn't all there and while some of it might be promising, most of it doesn't support the claims being made by the quick-fix super-food magic-bullet diet crowd.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    1cares wrote: »
    I have heard that a tblsp of coconut oil taken daily helps with fat loss. Can anyone verify this? I don't want to waste 130 of my daily calories on oil, if this is just a myth.

TIA

1cares coconut oil is not some kind of magic weight loss food but it can help build better health perhaps which is key to losing weight we all know. I start the day with 4-5 tablespoons of coconut oil in my coffee. Some research indicates one can eat more calories of fat than carbs and still lose as much weight.

"These benefits of oil can be attributed to the presence of lauric acid, capric acid and caprylic acid, and their respective properties, such as antimicrobial, antioxidant, anti-fungal, antibacterial and soothing qualities."

Source: https://organicfacts.net/health-benefits/oils/health-benefits-of-coconut-oil.html
  • 1cares
    1cares Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all! Someone on my facebook pointed it out, and takes a tablespoon daily. I know it is fat, but wasn't sure if it was a valuable tip so I googled it, and there was varying evidence supporting both sides. That's when I figured I would ask other health conscious individuals if they partake in the daily dose. I use coconut oil in all my cooking, but I doubt I'm even getting more than a teaspoon per day.

On another note...I've been using coconut oil to moisturize my legs because body lotion just isn't cutting it this winter. Does that oil get absorbed into my skin, and do those calories count?
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Oil will lubricate the skin and seal in moisture and repel water from the environment. It doesn't moisturize (beyond lubrication) or add calories when applied topically.
  • StaticNomad
    StaticNomad Posts: 37
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I took coconut oil daily, and had for years. However, it's never once helped me to lose weight. In fact, it added to my calorie intake daily. 20 calories each time. So, I'd say no. I didn't take it for that though. I took it because I have lupus, and it helped with my skin issues, my hair, and my nails.

HOWEVER, I only recently discovered that my daily intake of coconut oil has been the number one prime reason for my LDL not lowering as I had wanted. Despite all my efforts, I already have lupus to fight against my LDL...it turns out that coconut oil is full of bad sat fats that raise your LDL quite a bit. So, I've cut it out of my diet last week. :(

(Source:)
    https://www.pritikin.com/your-health/healthy-living/eating-right/1790-is-coconut-oil-bad-for-you.html
  • bunnywestley81
    bunnywestley81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I got some and use it for cooking and also in the bath, on skin and hair.

Makes lush roast veg.

I dont tend to bother much about good/bad foods. Seems one minute something is a super food and will cure aids/cancer/poverty then the next day it'll kill you.
  • 1cares
    1cares Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I got some and use it for cooking and also in the bath, on skin and hair.

Makes lush roast veg.

I dont tend to bother much about good/bad foods. Seems one minute something is a super food and will cure aids/cancer/poverty then the next day it'll kill you.

That's the truth!!!! LOL
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I cut out most all of my carb calories. These can not be safely made up with protein so fats are the only option. 500 fat calories each morning helps me to get off to a good start of hitting my 80% fats macro. If I was still a carb burner I could not do this level of fats without gaining weight.

Again when cutting carbs the only option I had to eat healthy was to make up the carb deficit with equal fats calories. There is nothing magical about coconut oil or any other healthy fat source of calories. They are just stored up sunlight which we die if we do not eat sources of stored sunlight.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    The only thing that helps to lose weight is to burn more calories than you eat. Calories in, calories out.
  • shelleyrhoads
    shelleyrhoads Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I don't think it helps with fast loss but it will give you the craps. Especially taken with coffee.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    1cares wrote: »

On another note...I've been using coconut oil to moisturize my legs because body lotion just isn't cutting it this winter. Does that oil get absorbed into my skin, and do those calories count?

not unless you're licking it off your legs.....