Does Coconut Oil really help with fat loss?

Options

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    No, it doesn't, *but* it's delicious and healthy to cook with. You can get it with the flavor refined out, or virgin with the flavor included. I get it with the flavor still in, and I use it as the fat in my homemade breads. I'd recommend it for baking purposes.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Plus if you're low in fats, it's an easy way to bump them up!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain this coffee thang please?

Like what does it taste like compared to coffee and milk? Does it make you gag? It sounds...unusual
  • gothchiq
    Options
    Also, you will not absorb calories by using oils to moisturize your skin and hair. It must be consumed by mouth for you to get calories. If your hair is very dry, after washing when the hair is still damp, you can rub a pencil eraser size glob of the oil in your palms and work it into your hair. Great during the winter. Legs too, as a treatment after shaving. and smells quite nice.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Like what does it taste like compared to coffee and milk? Does it make you gag? It sounds...unusual

Rabbit it's bloody yummy, and creamy.

I add:

1tsp coconut oil
    1 tsp Butter
    1 raw egg

Then mix with a hand immersion blender.
    I often have it with a scoop of chocolate protein powder instead of coffee.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

I try my friend's. It's...interesting. Definitely fatty tasting and kind of feels fun in your mouth.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,967 Member
    Options
    I took coconut oil daily, and had for years. However, it's never once helped me to lose weight. In fact, it added to my calorie intake daily. 20 calories each time. So, I'd say no. I didn't take it for that though. I took it because I have lupus, and it helped with my skin issues, my hair, and my nails.

HOWEVER, I only recently discovered that my daily intake of coconut oil has been the number one prime reason for my LDL not lowering as I had wanted. Despite all my efforts, I already have lupus to fight against my LDL...it turns out that coconut oil is full of bad sat fats that raise your LDL quite a bit. So, I've cut it out of my diet last week. :(

(Source:)
    https://www.pritikin.com/your-health/healthy-living/eating-right/1790-is-coconut-oil-bad-for-you.html
    Well, if that link is the reason why you no longer consume it, I would suggest getting a few more opinions because that one reels me back to the 80's. "Artery clogging saturated fat" he really said that and from a Dr. no less.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I cannot fathom fat in coffee ...can it be instant?
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    MYTH.
  • arditarose
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I cannot fathom fat in coffee ...can it be instant?

Instant coffee? I don't think it matters.

I've been really "into" fat this week (upped my fat and it felt amazing), so when I tried bullet proof coffee or whatever it's called, I definitely did not hate it. But at the same time it's not for me. I have no reason so consume all those calories in fat in the morning.
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    1cares wrote: »
    I have heard that a tblsp of coconut oil taken daily helps with fat loss. Can anyone verify this? I don't want to waste 130 of my daily calories on oil, if this is just a myth.

TIA

1cares coconut oil is not some kind of magic weight loss food but it can help build better health perhaps which is key to losing weight we all know. I start the day with 4-5 tablespoons of coconut oil in my coffee. Some research indicates one can eat more calories of fat than carbs and still lose as much weight.

"These benefits of oil can be attributed to the presence of lauric acid, capric acid and caprylic acid, and their respective properties, such as antimicrobial, antioxidant, anti-fungal, antibacterial and soothing qualities."

Source: https://organicfacts.net/health-benefits/oils/health-benefits-of-coconut-oil.html

No.no. No.

grumpy-cat-no-2.jpg
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options

I add:

1tsp coconut oil
    1 tsp Butter
    1 raw egg

Oil and eggs immersed together is... mayonaisse.

• arditarose
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »

I add:

1tsp coconut oil
    1 tsp Butter
    1 raw egg

Coffee aioili.
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    It makes my hair shiny! I put a little in my palm, let it warm to liquid, run it through dry hair root to tip, and that is all. 0 calories for shiny hair lol!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    In fact it does help with fat burning. The awesome nutrients and antioxidants help cleanse your body of toxins throughout the day. One table spoon a day is a great way to start. Use it in your coffee, substitute it for cooking oil and even moisturizer with it. There are tons of benefits coconut oil has . Do some research. It is NOT a myth.! (*) Johnelle

Which toxins? Exactly which toxins are you referring too?

Also what nutrients? Coconut oil is pure fat. The lauric acid is good when applied to the hair because it is one of the few fatty acids that can penetrate the hair shaft, rather than just sit on it. Unfortunately, the lauric acid also is a saturated fat that raises total blood cholesterol. Caution should also be used if applying coconut oil to the skin because it has a comedogenic rating of 4 (out of 5). I usually use babassu oil. Very similar fatty acid profile as coconut but the comedogenic rating is 1.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    lenkearney wrote: »
    I heard this also, and tried adding to my coffee.

While I am not endorsing this, i can say on the three days i did this- I just had coffee for breakfast and did not feel hungry in the morning.

Today I added some protein powder and I did not feel hungry. I felt like I wanted to eat, but that was muscle memory- I was not hungry. I will be trying this for a while.
    Tomorrow you'll add a fried egg. On Friday, a slice of bacon. And on Saturday, another egg. Sunday, pancakes.

:p

Okay, this was funny...
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »

I add:

1tsp coconut oil
    1 tsp Butter
    1 raw egg

it doesn't turn out like that at all. You have to try it to know ;)

• gothchiq
    Options

grumpy-cat-no-2.jpg

Grumpy cat!!! <3 Love the grumpy cat! Her brother Pokey is adorable too, but it's rare to see pix of him.
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    In fact it does help with fat burning. The awesome nutrients and antioxidants help cleanse your body of toxins throughout the day. One table spoon a day is a great way to start. Use it in your coffee, substitute it for cooking oil and even moisturizer with it. There are tons of benefits coconut oil has . Do some research. It is NOT a myth.! (*) Johnelle

Which toxins? Exactly which toxins are you referring too?

Also what nutrients? Coconut oil is pure fat. The lauric acid is good when applied to the hair because it is one of the few fatty acids that can penetrate the hair shaft, rather than just sit on it. Unfortunately, the lauric acid also is a saturated fat that raises total blood cholesterol. Caution should also be used if applying coconut oil to the skin because it has a comedogenic rating of 4 (out of 5). I usually use babassu oil. Very similar fatty acid profile as coconut but the comedogenic rating is 1.

No. Actually, it's quite the opposite. The medium chain of fatty acid of coconut oil decreases serum cholesterol and LDL levels.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25557818
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options