What do you think the size of a healthy woman would be?

Options
benefiting
benefiting Posts: 795 Member
I just read an article about how a woman who is a size 14 (Australian) is classed as a plus size model. I would assume that healthy woman would infact be around size 12-14 (size 10-12 for US) and yet this woman is being called plus size?!

I know that you shouldn't go off dress size at the end of the day but I'm curious as the article was directed towards models rather than real life situtions where weight, height, BMI, etc would be more effective to answer what is healthy.

Replies

• My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I would judge by the amount of fat around their heart and other organs.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    healthy is as healthy does. It is not defined by the size stitched into your clothing.
  • BiggyFuzz
    BiggyFuzz Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    From a male point of view the size doesn't matter, it all depends on how you feel physically and mentally. My personal preference is a woman who is healthy curvy (if that is such a thing..lol) to me size 14 is perfect and i find that healthy in my eyes

However, "healthy" to me means if they can do activities for long period of times without huffing and puffing for example, bike riding, sports, hiking, sex etc etc...

This is just my opinion and i'm sure more folks will opine.

:wink:
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Dress size is in no way an accurate portrayal of health. Also, while a size 10-12 might be around average, could still be very well into the "overweight" category depending on height. It's all relative and makes no difference. We can't cram every woman into a single category no matter the qualifiers.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    iJIW89B.gif
  • benefiting
    Options
    I did say I know it's no way to accutually tells one's health but what I am getting at is, what makes the woman a plus size when she's around the average of a healthy woman. Why aren't all models healthy sizes instead of size 0-6, etc?
  • benefiting
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    MFP rules specifically state that unless you have visible abs you are unhealthy.

LOL. Damn. I guess lots of us are unhealthy then.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    clothing size is not an indicator of health AT ALL. all it is, is a portrayal of the fashion industry's idiocy.

I am obese by all accounts, yet my blood work, blood pressure, sugar levels, heart condition, cholesterol, sleep levels, etc are all EXCELLENT. Far better than my best friend, who weighs much less and has WAY more bad habits (smoking, over eating, not exercising at ALL, etc). Aside from weight (working on that), I am VERY healthy.

What I have found, losing weight, is that my energy levels have increased and I FEEL better and am in a better mood! There are a lot of reasons i want to lose weight, but to fit into a certain size clothing is not one of them ;)
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Size per se does not matter when talking about health. What does their blood panel show? Are they able to be physically active without too much pain and huffing and puffing? How much fat is around their internal organs (even skinny people can have really fatty organs)? I know that I for one was "healthier" when I was larger. Now that I've lost 130 pounds I feel weak and tired...I throw up all the time....I'm constantly getting sick...and my heart is not able to maintain a high enough blood pressure. I'm tired of seeing people equate weight with health...the numbers on the scale are not a good indicator of what is going on internally.
  • Dared2Evolve
    Dared2Evolve Posts: 2,803 Member
    Options
    I would judge by the amount of fat around their heart and other organs.

I think I agree with ^. However it has to do also with how in shape the lady is, can she run upstairs without being winded? Skinny ladies can also be 'unfit'.
  • Ria_StayingFit
    Ria_StayingFit Posts: 6,891 Member
    Options
    Dress size does not matter, fitness level does and this does not equate to those fab abs. I have muscle tone but will never have my abs showing through. Kids factor into it, but I also know I would never be able to eat as cleanly as I would need to for my abs to pop out. Go with what works for you, keeping health and fitness at the top of your list.
  • therealblackdahlia
    therealblackdahlia Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the individual woman and her overall health. There are many women that could be deemed a 'perfect' size 4 or 6 let's say, but that doesn't mean they are healthy. I'd be more concerned about internal health than the outside size/number.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    All women must be a size 6 to be healthy. Anything larger or smaller is unhealthy. Height and build make no difference. Everyone must conform.

>:)
  • goal226
    goal226 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Whatever size @ilfaith is...looks healthy to me...
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about a specific size. My husband just says he prefers curves to a super thin woman.
  • _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    benefiting wrote: »
    I did say I know it's no way to accutually tells one's health but what I am getting at is, what makes the woman a plus size when she's around the average of a healthy woman. Why aren't all models healthy sizes instead of size 0-6, etc?

So...you're saying that sizes 0-6 are unhealthy, while sizes 10-14 are healthy? 0.o
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    _Tink_ wrote: »

So...you're saying that sizes 0-6 are unhealthy, while sizes 10-14 are healthy? 0.o
    Yeah, caught that one too :\
  • benefiting
    Options
    _Tink_ wrote: »

Look, this question is mainly directed the woman who is size 14 (12 US) and is called a plus size model. It's directed to what people think is the size of a healthy woman, not that she is actually healthy or not. As I've said, I'm aware that size is not a measurement of health but I was wondering what people perceive as a healthy size in general. I personally believe this model would be a realistic size for woman and health in general based on size alone but that's just my opinion. What is everyone else's?

• Yogi_warrior
    Yogi_warrior Posts: 5,465 Member
    Options
    there is nothing like healthy size. People of all sizes are unhealthy or healthy.