Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Oh Sugar

Hi, I am wondering if anyone else has the same problem as me....keeping their sugar consumption levels within or close to the RDA. I don't use or consume much in the way of refined sugar but do use small amounts of honey e.g. in my morning porridge (oatmeal) and I eat quite a bit of fruit. Fruit is my go to snack of choice, particularly apples and bananas. Eating a couple of these per day along with the fresh vegetables and salads eaten for lunch and dinner and I can easily consume double my sugar allowance. While I do know that this is better than the sugar found in pastries and chocolate bars I feel like it is one of the dietary elements I have been unable to get sorted and somehow I am still feeding my sugar craving. Any tips/advice would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    It's not better, it makes no difference. Sugar is sugar, whether it comes from fruit or the sugar jar. Bananas are particularly high in sugar, so if you are worried about it, you could reduce the number of them you are eating. You don't really need to worry about it though, unless you have a medical problem that requires you to avoid sugar. As long as you are below your calorie limit each day you should be fine.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Sugar (refined or otherwise) is just a carb. Barring any medical conditions, don't worry about it and just stay within your carb goals.
  • Nancybenjam
    Nancybenjam Posts: 17 Member
    Sugar from fruit is better than sugar from desserts because it comes with alot of other nutrients and vitamins that our bodies need. These are good sugar calories as opposed to empty sugar calories. IMHO
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Sugar from fruit is better than sugar from desserts because it comes with alot of other nutrients and vitamins that our bodies need. These are good sugar calories as opposed to empty sugar calories. IMHO

That is correct. Eating fruit is definitely better than eating spoonfuls of sugar. We are talking about a balanced diet here though.

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    I'm over on some days, under on others, average out to about on target. I don't stress about it. My blood sugar is normal, and I eat far less sugar than I used to just on virtue of eating fewer calories.

Right now the diet world is all about how "sugar is evil" but I'm sure that eventually it will take its place in history alongside the "fat is evil" 80s, the "cholesterol is evil" 90s and the "carbs are evil" 2000s.

Everything in moderation. Including moderation. :)
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    I wouldn't stress too much about it. Yes, sugar is just a carb but if you're getting it from fruit, as opposed to table sugar, then you're also getting fibre, vitimins and minerals. I tend to focus more on staying under my total carb count for the day.

If you're still worried about reducing it then try sticking to fruits that are lower in sugar such as berries. You can also try snacking on raw veggies in place of fruit (carrots, tomato (a fruit I know), cucumber, peppers, snow peas, celery...). I find that you get more bang for your buck from veggies anyway. They still have fibre, vitimins and minerals and are much lower in calories and sugar. With the cals you'll save you should be able to "afford" some yummy dip like hommus or tzatziki or some nuts making your snack more well rounded
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

It's not because the sugar is different, but because fruit and veggies provide lots of nutrients and the sugar isn't harmful (and makes us enjoy eating them, bonus!). The sugar in a cookie is also likely pretty neutral unless we have medical issues, but the cookie provides lots of calories (most not from sugar, though) and not a lot of nutrients. So to the extent that the sugar (combined with the fat, which is a combination that many people really appreciate) encourages us to eat excessive quantities, we are likely to also eat excessive calories and not get in a lot of the other nutrients we should.

So it's more accurate to say that for most people fruit contributes more to the nutrient content and healthiness of their diets than cookies do. Of course, this does not mean that there's anything wrong with also eating a cookie.

Anyway, if you read the WHO's reasons for its sugar limits or really any of the explanations, it is not because of the sugar itself, but because added sugar is a proxy for a diet containing too many high calorie/low nutrient items. If you monitor your diet you should know this already, and don't have to worry about MFP's misleading and overly low sugar limit (since unlike the WHO it includes intrinsic sugar). If you want a good proxy for the same thing, carbs + fiber work--you count sugar in carbs already and if you get enough fiber you will have some reassurance that a sufficient percentage of your carbs are nutrient dense ones (as those also tend to have fiber, unlike the average sugary dessert item).

This is my longwinded way of saying that if your sugar is from fruit and you know you are eating enough other things, like protein and veggies, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I go over the sugar goal every single day, mostly because of milk and fruit. Then there's the other bit and pieces I eat like yogurt etc etc. For me, sugar is pretty much unavoidable. I don't add refined sugar to anything.
  • Thanks for all the advice, I think I probably am over thinking it. Maybe what I really need is to reduce my carb intake and up protein and possibly fat.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    nerakire wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice, I think I probably am over thinking it. Maybe what I really need is to reduce my carb intake and up protein and possibly fat.

Uhh no. Calories in vs out is what matters, not carb intake. If you have no medical problems, there is no reason to limit carbs.
  • elphie754 wrote: »
    Uhh no. Calories in vs out is what matters, not carb intake. If you have no medical problems, there is no reason to limit carbs.

I've been experimenting this week and have noticed if I eat more protein and less carbs (in the form of bread and potatoes in particular) I feel less hungry and tired at the end of the day and so am less inclined towards munching on fruit in the evening. I have been doing quite a bit of strength training and think my body may actually need the extra protein. While I know that it is calories in vs out I think the type of fuel required can change and be different for everyone and I am only talking about adjusting the percentages slightly... I will still be eating the same number of calories overall.
  • gmallan
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice, I think I probably am over thinking it. Maybe what I really need is to reduce my carb intake and up protein and possibly fat.

Agree there is no reason to limit carbs unless...

- You're interested in losing FAT not WEIGHT
    - You're trying to build muscle (or retain muscle)
    - Eating lots of carbs doesn't satiate you
    - Eating lots of carbs turns you into a binge monster...

I'm all in favour of not demonising particular macro nutirents. I advocate for a balanced approach to nutrition. But having said that there are lots of good reasons to limit or cut down on carbs that are non-medical. The modern diet has a tendency to be high carb, moderate to low fat and low protein so for most people cutting down on carbs to some degree is a good and neccessary thing to do.

Not saying that you need to cut out fruit or all carbs but pretty much all nutritional experts agree that eating refined (added sugars, flour, white bread etc.) and starchy carbs (potato, rice, bread etc.) in moderation is important for a healthy diet

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Carbs don't create fat. Carbs are a terrific source of quick energy. It is very difficult to achieve with fats and protein alone.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Nope, no health issues here to make me worry about it, so I don't pay much attention to it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Hi, I am wondering if anyone else has the same problem as me....keeping their sugar consumption levels within or close to the RDA. I don't use or consume much in the way of refined sugar but do use small amounts of honey e.g. in my morning porridge (oatmeal) and I eat quite a bit of fruit. Fruit is my go to snack of choice, particularly apples and bananas. Eating a couple of these per day along with the fresh vegetables and salads eaten for lunch and dinner and I can easily consume double my sugar allowance. While I do know that this is better than the sugar found in pastries and chocolate bars I feel like it is one of the dietary elements I have been unable to get sorted and somehow I am still feeding my sugar craving. Any tips/advice would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

Sugar is not good or bad, and granulated sugar is no different than sugar in fruits and vegetables, or anything else. It's very delicious, in fact.

Everything in moderation.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited February 2015
    I go over the mfp sugar goal almost every day. I might start viewing the sugar goal as a minimum instead of a maximum just to spite these RDA's.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2015
    gmallan wrote: »

I'm all in favour of not demonising particular macro nutirents. I advocate for a balanced approach to nutrition. But having said that there are lots of good reasons to limit or cut down on carbs that are non-medical. The modern diet has a tendency to be high carb, moderate to low fat and low protein so for most people cutting down on carbs to some degree is a good and neccessary thing to do.

Not saying that you need to cut out fruit or all carbs but pretty much all nutritional experts agree that eating refined (added sugars, flour, white bread etc.) and starchy carbs (potato, rice, bread etc.) in moderation is important for a healthy diet

Got any scientific proof for any of the bolded bit...because anecdotally I'd have to say a big fat No to all of those assertions

I lost plenty fat with a diet that was fairly high in carbs - 50 to 60 % (and min 100g protein)
    My musculature and strength is the best it's ever been
    I'm happy and generally satisfied
    I don't binge
  • gmallan
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Sugar is not good or bad, and granulated sugar is no different than sugar in fruits and vegetables, or anything else. It's very delicious, in fact.

Everything in moderation.

Not strictly for weight loss but sugar vs fruit or veggies will have a different effect on your blood sugar and satiation levels because fruit and veggies have fibre.

It definitely is delicious though, if not slightly addictive (or at least incredibly morish) for some people in a way that fruit isn't. I'm not sure how exactly to explain that scientifically but there's something there whether psychological or physiological or a combination
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member

NOPE
  • gmallan
    edited February 2015
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Got any scientific proof for any of the bolded bit...because anecdotally I'd have to say a big fat No to all of those assertions

I lost plenty fat with a diet that was fairly high in carbs - 50 to 60 % (and min 100g protein)
    My musculature and strength is the best it's ever been
    I'm happy and generally satisfied
    I don't binge

Well 100g isn't low in protein for a female. Take that up to 80% carbs and see how you do. 50-60% would still be limiting carbs for a lot of people.

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of studies looking into the effect of higher protein vs higher carb diets on muscle gain and muscle retention in a deficit.

The second two are related and I also think this has been studied fairly extensively. Notice how for these two points I didn't say that every person would necessarily suffer these effects but for a lot of people anecdotally and under controlled research conditions these two statements are true and good non-medical reasons to limit their carb intake.

Also - don't have the energy to link studies