Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Oh Sugar

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    sorry the title of the thread makes me think of this
    7e4.jpg

MFP sugar suggestion is pretty low. A couple pieces of fruit and you're over. I don't track my sugar, I'm sure I'm way over every single day. It hasn't hindered my weight loss in the slightest. You will lose weight when you burn more calories than you consume.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    edited February 2015
    herrspoons wrote: »
    gmallan wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    nerakire wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice, I think I probably am over thinking it. Maybe what I really need is to reduce my carb intake and up protein and possibly fat.

Uhh no. Calories in vs out is what matters, not carb intake. If you have no medical problems, there is no reason to limit carbs.

Agree there is no reason to limit carbs unless...

- You're interested in losing FAT not WEIGHT
    - You're trying to build muscle (or retain muscle)
    - Eating lots of carbs doesn't satiate you
    - Eating lots of carbs turns you into a binge monster...

I'm all in favour of not demonising particular macro nutirents. I advocate for a balanced approach to nutrition. But having said that there are lots of good reasons to limit or cut down on carbs that are non-medical. The modern diet has a tendency to be high carb, moderate to low fat and low protein so for most people cutting down on carbs to some degree is a good and neccessary thing to do.

Not saying that you need to cut out fruit or all carbs but pretty much all nutritional experts agree that eating refined (added sugars, flour, white bread etc.) and starchy carbs (potato, rice, bread etc.) in moderation is important for a healthy diet

Nonsense. Carbs have no bearing on fat. In fact, you could argue that low carb diets give a more inaccurate view of fat loss due to water depletion. You lose fat by calorie deficit, not macronutrient profile.

In addition, whilst high protein content is critical for retaining muscle, this does not have to be at the expense of carbs. You can do both provided your deficit level permits it, which it almost certainly will unless you're doing some bizarre VLCD. As for building muscle, carbs will facilitate this.

Finally, people binge on cheese. Should we avoid fats because of this?

Enough broscience please.

You lose WEIGHT by a calorie deficit. That will include fat and lean mass unless you're eating sufficient protein and strength training (and even then it will include lean mass). I'm not advocating for a low carb (or low anything) diet. Just against a super high carb diet. I never said to avoid carbs, just that there might be good non-medical reasons for lowering or limiting your intake whether physiological or psychological

Also if some people binge on cheese then it's obvioulsy not a good reason for ALL people to avoid cheese or fats but it might be a good reason for that person to avoid cheese (but not all fats) for a while. Some people just don't do well with moderation.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited February 2015
    agree with gmallan.

carbs are less filling for me. i still eat a lot of them, but probably less than i did when i was close to overweight.
  • pjcfrancis
    pjcfrancis Posts: 121 Member
    I'm not a nutritionist, so feel free to ignore me.
    Here's what I understand:
    1. Yes, sugar is sugar, but sugar that's in fruit has less impact on your body than added sugar because you ingest it mixed with other nutrients, so it is absorbed more slowly into your bloodstream. Therefore there is less impact of eating two apples with 30 g of sugar compared to a soft drink with 30 grams of sugar.
    2. Sugar in the bloodstream is metabolized through the hormone insulin, which is produced in pancreas. Quick bursts of sugar puts a strain on the pancreas, so slower absorption as from fruits is less stressful for the pancreas than a rush of sugar from soda.
    3. Insulin also triggers the production of fat in your body from excess calories because high insulin in the blood stream tells your body that you have lots of calories available and you should save some for later.

None of that means added sugar is fundamentally different than fruit sugar, only that the speed of absorption into the bloodstream may be higher.

How do I know this? From CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) radio science show called Quirks and Quarks in which a real scientist explained his understanding of why a high carb diet causes obesity more than a high fat diet. Do other nutritionists disagree? Probably.

The posters who are focused on calories in vs out are correct in my opinion. The carbs you take in when in a deficit are only going to your current energy needs and you need to burn some fat to make up the difference.

I also have the same question as the OP. I almost always go over my sugar goal, but I don't eat hardly any processed foods. Nonetheless, I am maintaining a calorie deficit and losing weight. I feel better and look marvelous, so I'm not losing sleep over the sugar.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice, I think I probably am over thinking it. Maybe what I really need is to reduce my carb intake and up protein and possibly fat.

Uhh no. Calories in vs out is what matters, not carb intake. If you have no medical problems, there is no reason to limit carbs.

I'm all in favour of not demonising particular macro nutirents. I advocate for a balanced approach to nutrition. But having said that there are lots of good reasons to limit or cut down on carbs that are non-medical. The modern diet has a tendency to be high carb, moderate to low fat and low protein so for most people cutting down on carbs to some degree is a good and neccessary thing to do.

Not saying that you need to cut out fruit or all carbs but pretty much all nutritional experts agree that eating refined (added sugars, flour, white bread etc.) and starchy carbs (potato, rice, bread etc.) in moderation is important for a healthy diet

Got any scientific proof for any of the bolded bit...because anecdotally I'd have to say a big fat No to all of those assertions

I lost plenty fat with a diet that was fairly high in carbs - 50 to 60 % (and min 100g protein)
    My musculature and strength is the best it's ever been
    I'm happy and generally satisfied
    I don't binge

Well 100g isn't low in protein for a female. Take that up to 80% carbs and see how you do. 50-60% would still be limiting carbs for a lot of people.

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of studies looking into the effect of higher protein vs higher carb diets on muscle gain and muscle retention in a deficit.

The second two are related and I also think this has been studied fairly extensively. Notice how for these two points I didn't say that every person would necessarily suffer these effects but for a lot of people anecdotally and under controlled research conditions these two statements are true and good non-medical reasons to limit their carb intake.

Also - don't have the energy to link studies

I recommend upping your carbohydrate intake for better energy levels.
  • Aviva92
    EWJLang wrote: »

Got any scientific proof for any of the bolded bit...because anecdotally I'd have to say a big fat No to all of those assertions

I lost plenty fat with a diet that was fairly high in carbs - 50 to 60 % (and min 100g protein)
    I don't binge

Well 100g isn't low in protein for a female. Take that up to 80% carbs and see how you do. 50-60% would still be limiting carbs for a lot of people.

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of studies looking into the effect of higher protein vs higher carb diets on muscle gain and muscle retention in a deficit.

The second two are related and I also think this has been studied fairly extensively. Notice how for these two points I didn't say that every person would necessarily suffer these effects but for a lot of people anecdotally and under controlled research conditions these two statements are true and good non-medical reasons to limit their carb intake.

hehe
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member

I don't binge

:grinning:
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member

I don't binge

QFT. I moderate my carb intake in a little dance I do with controlling how my arthritis feels. (I try to keep it between 100-150g a day). If I go too low, I just have nooooo energy.

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member

I don't binge

Haha, I actually thought that after I wrote it :) More like I have better places to spend my energy. My carb intake is sufficient for my energy needs (40%)

• franola12
    franola12 Posts: 45 Member
    I agree with the posters who say that the type of sugar we ingest is important. If it's refined sugar, no good can come of it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    franola12 wrote: »
    I agree with the posters who say that the type of sugar we ingest is important. If it's refined sugar, no good can come of it.

Why?

Really, your body doesn't know the difference between refined and natural (fruit, veggies) sugars.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

I don't binge

Haha, I actually thought that after I wrote it :) More like I have better places to spend my energy. My carb intake is sufficient for my energy needs (40%)

I think the problem is that you said "there is not reason to limit carbs unless...". However, your definition of limiting carbs is very different from what a lot of people are thinking (many people pop into sugar threads with experiences of going keto or low carb (as in less than 50-80g).

I don't think that is what you meant, and people are assuming the extreme (because many people take it to the extreme).
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Hi, I am wondering if anyone else has the same problem as me....keeping their sugar consumption levels within or close to the RDA. I don't use or consume much in the way of refined sugar but do use small amounts of honey e.g. in my morning porridge (oatmeal) and I eat quite a bit of fruit. Fruit is my go to snack of choice, particularly apples and bananas. Eating a couple of these per day along with the fresh vegetables and salads eaten for lunch and dinner and I can easily consume double my sugar allowance. While I do know that this is better than the sugar found in pastries and chocolate bars I feel like it is one of the dietary elements I have been unable to get sorted and somehow I am still feeding my sugar craving. Any tips/advice would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

Sugar is not good or bad, and granulated sugar is no different than sugar in fruits and vegetables, or anything else. It's very delicious, in fact.

Everything in moderation.

Not strictly for weight loss but sugar vs fruit or veggies will have a different effect on your blood sugar and satiation levels because fruit and veggies have fibre.

It definitely is delicious though, if not slightly addictive (or at least incredibly morish) for some people in a way that fruit isn't. I'm not sure how exactly to explain that scientifically but there's something there whether psychological or physiological or a combination

Broscience. None of this is accurate.

I feel no different if I eat a See's candy or an apple, and it has no affect otherwise.

I prefer more nutrient dense foods, but that's purely preference.
  • Aviva92
    edited February 2015
    auddii wrote: »

I don't binge

I think the problem is that you said "there is not reason to limit carbs unless...". However, your definition of limiting carbs is very different from what a lot of people are thinking (many people pop into sugar threads with experiences of going keto or low carb (as in less than 50-80g).

I don't think that is what you meant, and people are assuming the extreme (because many people take it to the extreme).

for me, limiting carbs meant i stopped eating a huge pile of pasta every other day for lunch and when i got a huge nyc bagel, i took the insides out. i was never extreme, just fewer carbs than i ate before. i think that helped me to lose weight.
  • Azexas

I think you are giving the human body a little too much credit. Sugar is Sugar regardless of the source. Your body doesn't know the difference between a brownie and an apple. The brownie and apple may have different macros with them but sugar is sugar.
  • SLLRunner
    Troutsy wrote: »

I think you are giving the human body a little too much credit. Sugar is Sugar regardless of the source. Your body doesn't know the difference between a brownie and an apple. The brownie and apple may have different macros with them but sugar is sugar.

I wish more people would believe this truth.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member

I've been experimenting this week and have noticed if I eat more protein and less carbs (in the form of bread and potatoes in particular) I feel less hungry and tired at the end of the day and so am less inclined towards munching on fruit in the evening. I have been doing quite a bit of strength training and think my body may actually need the extra protein. While I know that it is calories in vs out I think the type of fuel required can change and be different for everyone and I am only talking about adjusting the percentages slightly... I will still be eating the same number of calories overall.

Yes - this works for me too. I am a recovering sugar addict. I could eat a whole pie in one sitting, or 12 jumbo cupcakes... and want another piece of candy an hour later. really. I first moved to eating lots of fruit, and no more processed sugars; that was great, but I still had a great appetite for sugar. Now, I focus on making sure I eat enough protein+fat, and I've found that I rarely have sugar cravings - a big WOW for someone who has loved sugar all her life! Of course I eat the 'right' cal amount for me, but eating enough protein has really changed my hunger/cravings/
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »

I don't binge

for me, limiting carbs meant i stopped eating a huge pile of pasta every other day for lunch and when i got a huge nyc bagel, i took the insides out. i was never extreme, just fewer carbs than i ate before. i think that helped me to lose weight.

I think we should all limit carbs to a level that is appropriate for our goals, keeps us feeling satiated, and allows for proper energy levels. That level is going to be different for each person.
  • Azexas
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Troutsy wrote: »

I wish more people would believe this truth.

Agreed :)