Losing gym membership..need at home success stories please!!

Options
13»

Replies

• hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options

I know I'd find every excuse in the book to not go leave the house and go to the gym, but it's a little harder to find excuses when my living room is my gym.

Haha. I approve this message.
  • ChanceTakr2131
    Options
    I NEVER go to the gym! I hate everything about it!! I have a Pole in my living room which is my primary workout equipment, and I have free weights, a treadmill, resistance bands, a pull-up bar, push-up bars, a step, and a yoga mat; that's everything I need to stay in shape. I watch television and listen to music and I usually work out 2-3 hours per day. You don't have to go to the gym or even have the amount of equipment I do to get into shape. Don't let it stop you!
  • Petrapoo45
    Petrapoo45 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I went through this a few months ago. I had to loose my membership because we are saving up to buy a house and needed to cut every penny we could. I found working out at home VERY challenging. I wish you all the best!! I had the best success working out to the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and taking walks. The trick for me was finding time in the day when no one else was home, so I could huff and puff in private. Hard to do when you live in a full house with 8 people. Hopefully you have more success then me!! It ended up someone in my family gave me money for my birthday for the gym.
  • lsumomma
    lsumomma Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I workout at home mostly to videos on fitnessblender.com. I also have an elliptical but prefer the workout videos.
  • jojoboxing
    jojoboxing Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I wasted money on a gym membership I hardly used for 7 years so cancelled it this year to help finances. I hate running but could do the elliptical all day. since I don't have access to that I now walk outdoors and it has been working well for me for the last 4 weeks. I started MFP after quitting the gym so all my weight loss is from MFP diet tracking, walking, and kettlebells at home.

I still might join a gym once I hit my goal weight since I really enjoy weight training and we've run out of room in our apartment to get the equipment I like to use.

Good luck.
  • BobbiG35
    BobbiG35 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I thought I would never survive without my gym membership (canceled 4 months ago) and I don't miss it at all. I run/walk outside and do dvd videos at home. I suggest going to www.collagevideo and picking up some that suit you. I recently went on vacation and popped into the gym hotel, I could barely stand being in there....it was so boring. You may adjust a bit but you will be fine. Feel free to add me as a friend if you need support and suggestions or dvd videos. :)
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    For intense workouts at home, I would suggest the Spartacus circuit with dumbbells. Just buy a set to about 30 pounds, or whatever you can lift. For cardio, I like home workout videos and jogging outside (you can get an intense workout by doing interval training). The classic FIRM videos are pretty tough and available for cheap on VHS.
  • AynzL
    AynzL Posts: 40
    Options
    I've lost 25 pounds since January with changing my eating habits and working out at home. I'm a stay at home mom so I use nap time as my workout time. There are TONS of free videos on youtube that are great! A lot of jillian michaels and I just found Jackie Warner has some that are 20 minutes long. Her ab one is great! Fitness Blender on youtube has 100's of GREAT workout videos as well. As long as you get a few sets a hand weights you'll be good to go! My favorite workout dvd is Results 10 days to a better body with Cindy Whitmarsh. There are 2 options/both are 30 minutes. One upper body and one lower body. It has 1 minute intervals of cardio and strength training. Good luck!