10,000 steps a day

Options
oh man ! I think I've only met my goal of walking 10,000 steps a day a couple times ! And both those times I went on super longs walks to achieve this goal . What's something you do that helps you achieve this daily goal ??

Replies

• dafoe88
    dafoe88 Posts: 38 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I go for an hour long brisk walk for lunch through the park down town. Between that and walking to/from the train station my 10k is pretty much toast!
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I do 15000, and I wouldn't be able to get anywhere near that many steps if I didn't pace around my house.

• SwitzEngine
    SwitzEngine Posts: 3,418 Member
    Options
    I run 50 flight of stairs a day and go for a walk with my Candy (St Bernhard)
  • markstoreywp
    Options
    I usually make my steps pretty easily throughout the day. Simply by being active. Make concious descions about what your doing. Ie. Instead of taking the lift take the stairs. Walk to the park to eat your lunch
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. I work in a small, ground floor office and I think I average about 4000 steps on a non-gym day. No stairs to climb and not far to walk at all. It is tricky
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I try to walk around the block at least three times a day. It's just about a mile and takes me 15 minutes--perfect for work breaks. Going up and down stairs doing laundry is also good for earning steps.

Then I work out. Then I go out dancing. :)

Monday and Wednesday this week I had 17,000+ steps, Tuesday 15,000+...you can do it!
  • Frappleberry
    Frappleberry Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    My job involves some walking around so by the time I'm ready to leave I've usually done around 5,000 steps and so i now walk home too. I really enjoy it as it helps me sort through my day!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I manage to hit it most days, despite having a desk job. I walk to and from the train station, I get off one station early before work and walk one station further before getting on it to get home. I walk for at least half my one hour lunch break, and at work I take the long way to the kitchen and to the toilet, even walking down a level to the bathrooms on the floor below.
  • debbiewsharpe
    debbiewsharpe Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    If you watch tv, get up during the commercials. You can walk 300+ steps during the commercials. We had an ice storm this week so I did ally walking while watching tv. Over 15,000 steps on my fitbit
  • alyssakipetz
    alyssakipetz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I walk in place while watching a tv show if I haven't been active enough throughout the day. What really helps me too is the challenges (if you're using a fitbit) and competing with friends. I never thought of myself a a competitive person, but when it comes to those steps I just need to be the winner!
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    I'm the same. I work in a small, ground floor office and I think I average about 4000 steps on a non-gym day. No stairs to climb and not far to walk at all. It is tricky

same here, I'm lucky if I hit 3000 steps on a non workout day. Small office, no stairs, one bathroom, nowhere to walk outside or nearby (its on a highway). I sit at my desk all day long at work, and walk to the bathroom a few times. Very difficult to get in extra steps, especially in the winter when I can't be outside after work doing stuff. Sometimes I will just stop at a store after work to get in extra steps, but that's not always good on my wallet.
  • captmiddy
    captmiddy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    During the workweek I get about 15k to 20k steps a day because I have a treadmill desk in my office, on the weekend it is a struggle to get up to 5k steps on a day unless we have a hike planned. In the middle of winter not many hikes planned. One of my motivations though is that I wear a fitbit and I signed up for the Walgreens Steps program so I earn money for walking.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    10,000 steps a day is equivalent to a 45 minute exercise class. If you're in the gym every day, that's completely doable.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    My job allows me to get half that or more each day. During lunch or after work I walk a mile or two for light exercise and twice a week I go dancing. Can knock out 12,000 most days.
    Keep on walking!!
  • 40andFindingFitness
    Options
    captmiddy wrote: »
    During the workweek I get about 15k to 20k steps a day because I have a treadmill desk in my office.

That's it. I'm SO jealous of that.
  • LJL162
    LJL162 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I usually break it down into 2 or 3 shorter 15-20 minutes walks, one around lunch time - which is great just to get out the office and stretch the legs and walking the dog when I get home, the rest of the time I try to walk around the office more.
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    A treadmill desk? Outstanding idea! Ha, one of my engineer friends hooked an exercise bike up to the sound on their TV to make his kids get exercise. When they watched TV, they had to peddle for the sound to come on. LOL. People are sure creative <3
  • pjcfrancis
    pjcfrancis Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I walk in the morning, before I go to work if I get up early enough, or just stop at the park for a 15 minute walk on the way to work. I walk at lunch most days, and if I do that a 15 minute walk with the dog after work is enough to get me to 10,000. My work day usually involves about 4000 steps in the course of my duties.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    10,000 steps a day is equivalent to a 45 minute exercise class. If you're in the gym every day, that's completely doable.

What kind of class are you doing?

I get 6000 steps in a hour doing hip hop. An average Zumba class is something like 7500. My really intense Zumba class is sometimes as many as 9000 steps in an hour.

I've not found anything that will give me 10,000 steps in 45 minutes...I don't think I would even quite hit that running, but I am a slow runner due to an injury.
  • captmiddy
    captmiddy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    10k is almost 5 miles of distance for the average person, 5 miles in 45 minutes is a very brisk pace and is faster than many people even complete a 5k which is just over 3 miles.