Why am I gaining weight

Options
13»

Replies

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    rtbrown82 wrote:
    I'm going to get blasted here... but I think you should simply try cutting out processed foods and spreading out your calories. Eat real food. Your breakfasts are too small and you're eating a lot of processed foods. Not all calories are created equal, nutrient dense foods are best.
    elphie754 wrote:
    Yeah no. Nothing in your first paragraph is needed.
    - Well, processed foods often have high sodium, sometimes high sugar. Sodium can cause water weight gain, sugar leads to wanting more sugar. So eating less of them is a reasonable suggestion.
    - Eating real food is always a better idea, and yes, nutrient-dense foods are best.
    - Eating about half your calories for breakfast does result in more weight loss than the usual American plan of a tiny breakfast & big dinner. (See studies linked below.)
    - A calorie is a calorie as far as energy is concerned, but eating more protein and fewer carbs - even if you're still eating the same calories - will result in more weight loss. Here's a blog post with links to a bunch of studies supporting that. Be sure to stay within the healthy ranges for macros; here's a table from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition showing those.

This study compared eating a small breakfast, medium lunch, and large dinner, [200, 500, 700 cal]
    with eating a large breakfast, medium lunch, and small dinner [700, 500, 200 cal].
    "The [large breakfast] group showed greater weight loss and waist circumference reduction ... fasting glucose, insulin [&] triglycerides ... decreased significantly to a greater extent in the [large breakfast] group."
    In addition, hunger was less and satiety was greater.
    Abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23512957
    Full text:
    http://genetics.doctorsonly.co.il/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Jakubowicz-at-al-Obesity-2013-oby20460.pdf

"subjects assigned to high caloric intake during breakfast lost significantly more weight than those assigned to high caloric intake during the dinner"
    Abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24467926
    Full text: http://www.tradewindsports.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Nutrient-Timing-and-Obesity-2014.pdf

"data suggest that a low-calorie Mediterranean diet with a higher amount of calories in the first part of the day could establish a greater reduction in fat mass and improved insulin sensitivity than a typical daily diet."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24809437

"Breakfast is associated with lower body weight ..."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24898236

• kellymoore104203
    kellymoore104203 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone .... didn't want to make this so complicated and mind boggling
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    just wondering, is there a reason everyone says to weigh in grams and not ounces? To me, ounces just makes more sense.. does it matter?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    CM9178 wrote: »
    just wondering, is there a reason everyone says to weigh in grams and not ounces? To me, ounces just makes more sense.. does it matter?
    If the serving of something is listed in cups, it has grams in parentheses. The conversion between them would be annoying.

In addition, grams is a smaller unit of measure, so you can get more accurate in grams than in tenths of an ounce.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It can matter. There are 28grams in an ounce. If your scale measures in oz, 1/4oz, or 1/8oz increments, it could be off by 14g, 3.5g, or 1.75g. For broccoli that may be fine. For almonds that's an 82 kcal, 21 kcal, or 11 kcal error. The first couple are fairly significant errors!

(Then again, you have to check your scale's published accuracy. My Cuisinart only claims +/- 1/8oz = 1.75g accuracy, so it matters little whether I choose grams or ounces!)
  • miss_rye_
    miss_rye_ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Carbs are your friend!!! #eatallthecarbs

Balance is key!

• Papatoad194
    Papatoad194 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Qunnliz99 You are AWESOME
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    It can matter. There are 28grams in an ounce. If your scale measures in oz, 1/4oz, or 1/8oz increments, it could be off by 14g, 3.5g, or 1.75g. For broccoli that may be fine. For almonds that's an 82 kcal, 21 kcal, or 11 kcal error. The first couple are fairly significant errors!

(Then again, you have to check your scale's published accuracy. My Cuisinart only claims +/- 1/8oz = 1.75g accuracy, so it matters little whether I choose grams or ounces!)

thanks I had no idea, i've been weighing everything in ounces. The scale does weigh grams but I never understood the point because we don't really use grams in the US.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Omg please don't start weighing in ounces lol its hard enough for us foreigners to constantly be converting pounds and gallons etc etc My phone couldn't handle yet another conversion app :grimacing: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
  • kellymoore104203
    kellymoore104203 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    miss_rye_ wrote: »

Balance is key!

thought carbs are bad?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Balance is key!

thought carbs are bad?

Nope. That was 5 years ago. That's not the trendy thing this year though.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Balance is key!

thought carbs are bad?

Nope. That was 5 years ago. That's not the trendy thing this year though.

hahah!
    Carbs are good. Eating over you daily calorie limit is bad...
  • miss_rye_
    miss_rye_ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    What he said ^^^ Carbs are great for you, eating in a surpluss when trying to cut is not :)
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    You only have 523 logged for today for all meals. Hope you are eating more than that.