Bought a new "HOT" dress as motivation.....is that strange?

Options
Ok......So, I bought a new, hot little dress as motivation....is that a strange thing to do? It is a size medium, and there is NO way way that I can even think about getting into it at the moment. But, I am hoping that it will fit by the end of February!

Does anyone else do little motivation tricks like this?

-Dee

Replies

• Jen21878
    Jen21878 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not!!!! I think that is a fantastic idea for a goal! You have something to work for and you get rewarded too!!!

I love trying on my old clothes that haven't fit in years and now they do....it's a whole new wardrobe!!! :smile:
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Only if you are a Guy.....

It is great to have modivators like that!
  • IamLoriJ
    IamLoriJ Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I think this is an excellent motivator! I hauled out all my summer clothes that were too tight last year and a lot of them are too big this year so you might be surprised how quickly that little dress might fit! Good luck!
  • Jen21878
    Jen21878 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    :happy: Oh I forgot!!!...I have a bathing suit I bought from Victoria Secret 2 years ago....I have yet to wear it. This summer...it will be worn!
  • Mimisam45
    Mimisam45 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, I just bought a new dress while on vacation to wear to a wedding this summer. I live in Michigan and bought the dress in Florida, I can not return it. I could barely get it on in the dressing room because it was so tight, but it has gotten me back on track. The wedding is for a former co-worker and there will be several who haven't seen me in a couple of years, I want to rock this dress!!!

Well, rock it as well as a 57ish gal can! :blushing:
  • dlanoux
    dlanoux Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Yeah.....I'll be honest, I bought a swim suit too (for next summer). :) Oh, and to keep myself honest, as I shrink, I am tossing (donating) all of my larger clothes. That way there is NO going back!
  • dijanulka
    dijanulka Posts: 5
    Options
    I do not think it is so good...but maybe it depends. From garderobe planning perpective it is a very bad idea. I have jeans I bought "to wear when I will be thinner" (they fit me, but not really well). But years passed by, and I didn't... And this is sooo frustrating. So do it only if you are 100 percent sure that you will manage to achieve your goal. But you cannot really know whether you would succeed in achieving this certain weight and there is a risk that you'll get it back...

So I wouldn't choose it for motivation. Maybe, though, if I could spend more money on my dresses in general:)

Although I actually started again thinking about this gorgeous dress I saw the other day....haha:D

p.s. just read about tossing your old clothes, maybe it's a good strategy... burning all the bridges down;D
  • dlanoux
    Options
    The dress that I bought is very forgiving. It has an empire waist....and a flowing bottom, so it should be OK. I'm just putting it on the back of my closet door....that way every time I go in there and I see it. It will be a little motivational push.

For me, this type of motivation seems to work....it keeps me going. Maybe I'm just odd. lol
  • Voserichard
    Options
    It's definitely ok. I uswd to have goals like moving on the next belt hole and fitting into a certain pair of jeans without sucking it in. Totally acceptable goal. And in some ways a better one than perhaps inches because it's something you can actually see.
  • OGJake12
    OGJake12 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    My motivation is fitting into my entire college wardrobe. And it is a great wardrobe. That is one of my major motivators. So not weird in the slightest.
  • CoachBrandice
    CoachBrandice Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think it's great to tap into any sort of motivation you can get your hands on! That being said, some of the best motivators are those that connect with us on a heart, or emotional level. When you look at the dress can you look beyond the fabric and notice the feelings of confidence and accomplishment you will feel when wearing it? More than the dress, it may be about accomplishing that what you set out to do and the self-esteem that comes with setting goals and discipline yourself to reach them.

I would love to see a pic (hint, hint)!
  • freebirdjones
    Options
    lol it would be strange if you bought an 'ugly' dress for motivation, good thing you bought a 'hott' one! lol

not strange at all my dear :) I make mini goals or mini rewards or whatever you want to call it because my real goal is a year long and that's too long to wait :P
  • michellemariescott
    michellemariescott Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I never thought about this until I bought a pair of skinny lavender jeans this spring. I bought them in a brand and size I wore last summer so I didn't bother trying them on in the store. When I got home I realized they were too small because of the weight I put on over the fall and winter. I love the jeans and was really mad at myself for being unable to wear them. I also couldn't stand the thought of exchanging them for the next size up. It sounds crazy but that really motivated me to return to tracking my calories and to sticking to 1200-1300 calories per day. I thought about those jeans all the time.

I finally wore them this past weekend and it felt great.

I am actually thinking of doing something simlar to help me lose my next 8-10 lbs
  • dlanoux
    Options
    I think it's great to tap into any sort of motivation you can get your hands on! That being said, some of the best motivators are those that connect with us on a heart, or emotional level. When you look at the dress can you look beyond the fabric and notice the feelings of confidence and accomplishment you will feel when wearing it? More than the dress, it may be about accomplishing that what you set out to do and the self-esteem that comes with setting goals and discipline yourself to reach them.

I would love to see a pic (hint, hint)!

I will post a picture of the dress (without me....for now) when I figure out how. lol!
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I do it with a dress/jeans, that are one size down and I can try on in a size that fits me. Going down one size my shape isn't going to change drastically. I only need to wait 4-12 weeks, depending on how far off I am. I currently have a dress and jeans that fit this criteria. Jeans fit, kinda, but in 10lb more and they'll fit perfectly. Dress fits perfectly, except I need to hold my tummy in all night, so I reckon another 10lb and I'll happily be wearing it out - it's fire engine red, and like you say, HOT!
  • dlanoux
    Options
    I give up....can't get the pictures of the dress to post. :grumble:

One more try.....

dress.jpg
    dress2.jpg

OK.....getting them on here was a pain in the neck!

Sorry they are huge.....that will be my next task.....figure out how to make them smaller.

Keep in mind that I am no where near as top heavy as this model....there is NO chance that I will be hanging out. lol
  • emily_ebooks
    emily_ebooks Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    That's not strange at all! I do the same thing: whenever I feel like spending money, I'll buy a pair of jeans that are 1-2 sizes too small and I'll keep them out where I can look at them.

In fact, I have to do that again because now I can fit into my old goal jeans. :) It's honestly a great motivator and you feel SO good when you can rock your new dress/jeans in public.
  • MrsLMKing
    MrsLMKing Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    That is cute! Good luck with your goal! ;)
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    No way. I bought my first ever slutty dress last year. I wore it for my birthday dinner, and my boyfriend (at the time) would not stop trying to feel me up or commenting on how hot I looked. I loved it.
  • JLPaige
    JLPaige Posts: 194
    Options
    That's a great idea! I have cute clothes in my closet that I'm no where near fitting into, but I have to look at them every time I'm in my closet so it's great motivation.