How often do you exercise

Options
I am sure this has been asked before but how often do people exercise?

I will usually go for a run 4 days a week and go to the gym once a week sometimes twice. When I have my rest days (today is one) I feel like I want to go for a run or go to the gym which is frustrating but I know I need to have a rest day.

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I "work out" six days a week. I try to alternate intense and recovery days. The seventh day is usually more active rest. I'll go for a walk, an easy (EASY) swim, bike around town on a single-speed with my dog in the back basket. It is very, very rare that I sit on the couch for 24 hours, but sometimes it happens.

A lot of people like yoga on their rest day, but to me that ends up worse than doing nothing. ;)
  • David2788
    David2788 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could ever do yoga lol

Since I have been doing more exercise I haven't had a day where I just sit on the couch and in all honesty I don't want one!
  • carlosjenno
    carlosjenno Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Every day. Winter it's generally running, summer there's cycling chucked in as well. Lots of cycling. And lots of resistance and core work with all of it. We've just got back into hill walking (off to the Lakes in a few weeks) and it's strange how much easier it is now we're both a lot fitter than when we used to do it years ago.
  • David2788
    Options
    I used to go hill walking a lot when I lived in the UK and when I am back in the summer we will go for a walk in the Peak District on one of our old walks and see if we find it any easier!
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    The Ashtanga Yoga school recommends practising 6 days a week with one day for complete rest. If you practise with full effort and focus you need the rest day!
  • carlosjenno
    carlosjenno Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    David, we're doing the full Mam Tor ridge from Edale on Saturday morning!
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Every day. 1-3 hard sessions per week. The other days restitution activity.
  • shaunroberts
    shaunroberts Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    6 days a week roughly an hour a day.
    M, F, Su is running.
    T, W, Th, is circuit training.... Ie T25 etc
    Saturday is my day off.
    Sunday is also abs day.

Every 7th week I have a whole week off and focus on stretching.

Shaun.
  • David2788
    Options
    Hey,
    6 days a week roughly an hour a day.
    M, F, Su is running.
    T, W, Th, is circuit training.... Ie T25 etc
    Saturday is my day off.
    Sunday is also abs day.

Every 7th week I have a whole week off and focus on stretching.

Shaun.

I quite like that schedule. Especially the 7th week lol
  • David2788
    Options
    David, we're doing the full Mam Tor ridge from Edale on Saturday morning!

I've done that one before. Some beautiful scenery if I remember correctly.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    6 days a week with one active rest day.

3 days strength/weights, typically an hour.
    3 days "cardio" (which could be outdoors cycling or indoors using different machines or sport), mainly one hour training sessions indoors but can be hours and hours road cycling.
  • shaunroberts
    shaunroberts Posts: 94 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hey,
    7th week is certainly the best. My body certainly gives a big sigh of relief lol Gives my muscles the chance to fully recover ready for the next 6 weeks of hammering lol

Shaun.
  • David2788
    Options
    I suppose its also about finding what is right for your body.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Generally 3-6 days a week.
  • jessicagrieshaber
    jessicagrieshaber Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Typically six days a week. I normally lift 3-4 days a week, alternating full cardio and lift days as follows:

Monday: Medium/longer run: 5-8 miles
    Tuesday: Short run (2-3 miles) plus shoulders and chest.
    Wednesday: Medium run (3-4 miles) and maybe some sprints or a short period on the bike.
    Thursday: Short run (2-3 miles) plus legs
    Friday: Rest day
    Saturday: Medium run (3-4 miles) plus biceps and triceps
    Sunday: Short run (2-3 mile) plus lower back and abs.

A lot of people do not like to do cardio on the same days that they lift. For me, it serves as stress relief and really clears my mind prior to my lift. You just gotta find what works for you.
  • David2788
    Options
    yeah I have combining running and doing strength work as I do all my running outside so I will go for a run and then go to the gym.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    6 days a week
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    6 days a week. All powerlifting training, anywhere from 1-3 hours a day. Cardio is only when prescribed by my programmer.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    My goal is 5 days per week: 2 weight lifting and 3 running (one of those is a long run). However, I haven't had a week where I have gotten all 5 workouts in in a very long time. I am 3 months postpartum and just returned to work. Last time I did 5 workouts/week was probably the first trimester of my pregnancy. I am getting a better at prioritizing my exercise...
  • njfitnessmom
    njfitnessmom Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week. I run 4 days a week. Right now I'm going T25 5 days a week. And Fridays are usually my full day rest. I feel guilty on my rest days but I know my body needs it. Plus Fridays are when hubby and I come home work and relax with a glass of wine and enjoy each other's company for the evening.