The Gym is great for people watching!!

Options

Replies

• corndog05
    corndog05 Posts: 53
    Options
    My last gym trip was pretty embarrassing. While I was on the treadmill I see this girl jump roping, and she makes it look so cool and easy with all her little tricks, double jumps, triple jumps, swinging the rope from side to side etc. etc.

So I decided I was gonna go be cool, there I was with my earphones in ready to jump rope, I went to throw the rope back to start, apparently someone was standing behind me and when I tried to throw the rope forward it was stuck, so as the poor guy is being strangled to death by me, I'm tugging away at it, until I turned around and noticed what it was caught on.

Oh and it doesn't stop there, after that little episode I continued complete with red embarrassed face, as I tried to swing the rope from side to side I not only hit myself in the face but I let go of the rope because it hurt so bad and it flew off and hit someone else in the back.

It was then they took the jump rope from me.

I only wish I knew what other people who were watching me were thinking

That was hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • BbNuke
    BbNuke Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    :::bump::: so funny... and I'll need to read this later.
  • redbedhead
    redbedhead Posts: 53
    Options
    We have one guy that comes in gets on the treadmill for 3 minutes then he gets off and walks around touching each peice of equipment in the gym 3 times before leaving. He does not actually use any of the equipment except the treadmill, he just touches it! :huh:

The employees follow along behind him cleaning each peice of equipment after he touches it.
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    The SBDF- The Silent But Deadly Farter...:sick: can usually be found on cardio equipment. In my old gym, the treadmills faced mirrors so you could tell who it was by the expression on their face...they either tried to keep it super poker face or were too obvious with their "WHOTHEHECKDIDTHAT...EWWW" face. I used to be polite and just put my arm up to my face and run for a bit but one time I just couldn't put up with it anymore...I felt like I was dealing with a repeat offender...So I just yelled out "C'MON!!! :angry: " probably louder than I thought since music was blasting in my ears....didn't happen again for a long time.

The Glamazon - The girls who come in to the gym in super tricked out gym outfits and work out with their hair down and makeup on. WHAT? :noway: If even a stray piece of hair gets in my face, I get bothered. And I use the term "workout" lightly

Water Man - The meatheads who carry around a gallon of water with them from machine to machine. Really? You need THAT much water for your entire workout? I don't see you on a treadmill so I can't fathom why you need a GALLON of water. This particular species also doesn't look straight ahead when they walk. They've mastered the art of looking at themselves in the mirror while moving around machines at the gym. Gotta check out the guuunnnsss.....

The Singer - The person at my gym who insists on humming a couple of bars of the song on their iPod every minute...I just want to be Simon Cowell and walk up to them and say "Kind of Pitchy" "Kind of Cabaret" "Singers like you make cats want to cry"

Gruntster - you know who you are
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    I mean, his sweat somehow ends up on 3-4 other treadmills.

LOL you just got me in trouble at work because I laughed so loud..new keyboard as well please as I was taking a drink of water at that time :laugh:
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    My last gym trip was pretty embarrassing. While I was on the treadmill I see this girl jump roping, and she makes it look so cool and easy with all her little tricks, double jumps, triple jumps, swinging the rope from side to side etc. etc.

So I decided I was gonna go be cool, there I was with my earphones in ready to jump rope, I went to throw the rope back to start, apparently someone was standing behind me and when I tried to throw the rope forward it was stuck, so as the poor guy is being strangled to death by me, I'm tugging away at it, until I turned around and noticed what it was caught on.

Oh and it doesn't stop there, after that little episode I continued complete with red embarrassed face, as I tried to swing the rope from side to side I not only hit myself in the face but I let go of the rope because it hurt so bad and it flew off and hit someone else in the back.

Oh my god I have got to stop reading this post at work, just been told off for the second time for laughing.... That's it, no more until I'm at home :laugh:
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    i go to a 'women's only' gym which is fabulous but it brings in some interesting older ladies...my favorites are the ones who come in (and leave) with perfect hair and make-up and/or work out in jeans and a belt...i just don't get it!!!
  • kwaters7
    kwaters7 Posts: 129
    Options
    This is one of the best posts i've read.. In my gym there are:

Morning:

Stinky Man - This guy is real big, walks on the tread at 2.5 mph and obviously hasnt washed since the previous morning. Real nasty - same tshirt every day.

The P/T lady - there's a couple of ladies in their 40s who are obviously strangers to exercise, have personal trainers, never seem to be making any progress as they're never there apart from their weekly appointment

The Weedy weightlifter - couple of guys who go every morning, never do cardio, do a couple of things on the swiss ball and spend most of their time in the free weights area but never seem to armcurl any more than 8kg. After months of this, there's no obvious change in physique - (not being judgemental, well, i am lol) but if i drag my *kitten* there early every morning, i wanna make it count or i'd be better off with an extra 2hrs in bed.

Evening

Like other posts, there are loads of posers of course & glam girls who look perfect going in and leaving and a couple, couple of overly skinny girls who do the elliptical for hours. the ones i find funny are as follows:

The '100 Yard Starers' - as there's some testosterone kicking about, and i'm a guy myself, i find that quite often, there are some guys who do the whole 'Eye of the Tiger' thing on ya.. (Never the strongest or the fittest either). Its hilarious and pretty wierdly territorial all at once.

The 'now i've worked out i can eat what i like' - these are the ladies who never work up a sweat, always chatting - esp the 2 on the rowing machines who spend their entire time checking their phones, talking about all the gossip and probably dont cover even 1k whilst they're on it..

As for me, I probably am looked on as an idiot too. Whatever i do, i push hard and SWEAT like a maniac even now that the weight has all gone. It comes flying off my arms, my shorts and t shirt are always soaking and theres a big ugly pool of it beside every piece of cardio equipment i use... keep the stories going folks, ROFL at them..
  • Mirlyn
    Mirlyn Posts: 256
    Options
    Lol this thread has confirmed to me why I do not go to the gym. I hate being watched and try to blend in as much as I can and it's near to impossible in the gym setting :P. Great stories though!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    My personal favourite is the old guy ( looks late 60's) who wears a tank top and zebra stripe (sparkly silver and black) tight little shorts. He's really skinny and bony...it isn't pretty
  • AlynnP1005
    AlynnP1005 Posts: 195
    Options
    Oh keep the stories coming, its making a slow day go by much faster :)

I dont go to the gym, but I do have a very popular trail that I frequent for cardio, and there is this one older lady that used to walk the same time as me in the mornings, and she would walk about 10 steps, fart, then look around and giggle at everyone. I had to change my times lol
  • jodi_bannister
    jodi_bannister Posts: 90 Member
    Options

That is so HILARIOUS!!! :laugh: It sounds exactly like something that I would do. Coordination is not my strong point!!! :laugh:
  • 4me2sibiai
    4me2sibiai Posts: 71
    Options
    What a fun topic!

1. Okay...admission...I'm the white girl who can't "get" the sexy latin dance moves (YET)...and the "belly dancing kickboxer" to get in that extra hip move - I make it fun for myself what can I say and everyone laughs (with me, I hope!) LOL!!! I'm also the one who is sweating while still in "warm ups!" - - - I just recently got over the "ewww, I'm sweating" issue. Evidently you ARE supposed to be sweaty in the gym - who knew!!! ((laughing hard)))

2. "Super-hero Man" - This guy (picture Bruce Willis' having a brother) makes these REMARKABLE hanging, jumping, leaping, bouncing, swinging moves off these machines. Boooiiiing....he leaps onto a half ball, then leaps to the side, swings around, hops/squats, repeats!) It's WILDLY ENTERTAINING and even my trainers notice him. He needs his own workout video!!!!
  • cln714
    cln714 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    What a fun topic!

1. Okay...admission...I'm the white girl who can't "get" the sexy latin dance moves (YET)...and the "belly dancing kickboxer" to get in that extra hip move - I make it fun for myself what can I say and everyone laughs (with me, I hope!) LOL!!! I'm also the one who is sweating while still in "warm ups!" - - - I just recently got over the "ewww, I'm sweating" issue. Evidently you ARE supposed to be sweaty in the gym - who knew!!! ((laughing hard)))

2. "Super-hero Man" - This guy (picture Bruce Willis' having a brother) makes these REMARKABLE hanging, jumping, leaping, bouncing, swinging moves off these machines. Boooiiiing....he leaps onto a half ball, then leaps to the side, swings around, hops/squats, repeats!) It's WILDLY ENTERTAINING and even my trainers notice him. He needs his own workout video!!!!

Ok, now I have to stop reading these at work. I am laughing out loud! emphasis on LOUD!!! :D
  • mspraul
    mspraul Posts: 21
    Options

As an instructor, I will tell you that I would love you in my class. My class is very dancy and it can take a while to catch on to all the moves. The best way to do is to just pick up what you can and keep moving -- doesn't matter if it's my stuff or not. But even more important, have fun. I would rather have a bunch of people that have no rhythm and can't get the steps but are yelling, laughing and having a good time than a room full of amazing steppers that are trying to show how talented they are but have no personality.

And I sweat like a crazy person after about 10 minutes of class, so don't worry about that one.

Melissa
  • mspraul
    mspraul Posts: 21
    Options
    I did have a guy that used to come to class - an older gentleman -- and everything he did included "jazz hands." But I loved him because he was having a good time and doing his thing.

I like the people that do all kinds of variations to the treadmill and stairmaster. I get that some folks like to go backward -- I would be a wreck -- but then I see the sideways-walking folks as well. I know the muscles they are trying to work, but it sure looks iffy to me...and potentially dangerous.

Melissa
  • jheller
    jheller Posts: 194
    Options
    Oh yeah. Our rec center is small and the machines are right next to the free weight area so I love to watch the supper skinny boys come in and try and do bicep curls with 15 or 20 lb hand weights. Or the "running lady" who can do the most amazing lunges I have EVER seen. And then the "she must dance" girl who is in the same class as the Cirque du Solie people with some of her stretches. But I most love the old man who I see there with his trainer. He must be recovering from a stroke and he's such an inspiration to watch.

Jessica
  • naturebaby
    naturebaby Posts: 161
    Options
    great thread..LOL
  • FrankyOsage
    FrankyOsage Posts: 275
    Options
    I'm the "hour on the elliptical" and "dancing to ipod on said elliptical" person! Also, when i choose to listen to the tv (each gets their own tv attached to the machine) I also become "giggling incessently at Tosh.O" person. Ive gotten comments on the fact that I look like I'm having fun and I'm very very intense at the same time sweating up a storm with my red face.

I workout on in a military base gym, to say there is great people watching is an understatement. You have about 50% amazingly in-shape muscely guys and the other 50% is made up of their perfect-hair-and-makeup wives, the chubby and inshape civilians, and all the retired guys trying to get back to their military shape and their just older versions of perfect-hair-and-makeup wives. Its just amazing, too many stories to pick from from the interaction of these groups....
  • jmathews
    jmathews Posts: 196
    Options
    I love this thread! People watching is what gets me through my workout!

There is this little man, 60's, that works out on the machines that are in front of the ellips and treadmills (where I'm at). Well, everytime he does 10 reps he stops, goes to this table where his notebook is and writes it down. He then goes back, does 10 more reps and stops again to go write those down...he's still on the same machine. He does this over and over. It is sooo fun to watch. I'm guessing that he's afraid he'll forget how many reps he did.