why are there so many bulky weightlifters?

Options

Replies

• TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    DON'T DO IT.

Weight lifting made me so bulky I can't even leave the house.

Avoid at all costs, it'll make you look fat.

Edit : I'm not talking pleasantly plump kind've fat..I'm talking the great escape of Shamu fat. Thank god for my handy shake weights and mini trampoline ;)

We need evidence of this. To make sure it never happens to us.

THE HORROR!

tumblr_mcxi61hTf21rrc78e.gif
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Sorry. I did double check on Wikipedia re: Arnold, which focused on his body building career.

My understanding is that body builders do cut a lot more than weight lifters do. They care more about the look than just lifting massive amounts of weight. For example, this guy wouldn't make it at a body building competition: http://www.manassasbarbellclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/yevgeny-chigishev.jpg

Minor clarification or you: bodybuilding is a subset of weightlifting. Power lifting is also a subset of weightlifting.

You are saying weightlifters. You mean power lifters. I hope that clears up any confusion.
  • freebirdjones
    Options
    if you lift you will get bulky because muscle weighs more than fat! :glasses:

also maybe they are eating past 5pm.. that can make you bulky too :laugh:
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Weight-lifting is good for fat loss as part of a calorie deficit. If you're lifting but not in a deficit, it's unlikely you'll lose fat.

There are many people out there that couldn't care less about how much fat they have, whether they look bulky or what other people think of them. They lift because they enjoy it, and/or are good at it. Plain and simple. Not all exercise is about looking "good" (in this case, lean)
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

AWWWW man so if I eat after 5pm Im not gonna get lean!!! wtf!!!!! No one tells me these things :bigsmile:
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options

No more dinner! OH you are mean!
  • freebirdjones
    Options

AWWWW man so if I eat after 5pm Im not gonna get lean!!! wtf!!!!! No one tells me these things :bigsmile:

well it may be a combination, eating after 5pm and beer! you can NEVER drink while working on your fitness :ohwell:
  • freebirdjones
    Options

No more dinner! OH you are mean!

Just PLAN ahead okay... if you cant get home by 5pm take your dinner with you to work in our purse :laugh:
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    ?i=36946
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I don't think you meant bodybuilders, did you? The way I understand it, you might be talking exactly about my FIL. He is 300 lbs and really strong. He can lift heavier than everyone at his gym. However, he keeps making bad food choices, so he doesn't understand why he's not losing weight. He's been doing the same thing for over 2 years, so at what point do you not undertand that what you're doing is not working and you need to change something?
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

well it may be a combination, eating after 5pm and beer! you can NEVER drink while working on your fitness :ohwell:

eFF IT THEN....im just gonna do all cardio from now on ! Im sure to get mega lean that way!:bigsmile:
  • VistaJerry
    VistaJerry Posts: 45
    Options
    DON'T DO IT.

Edit : I'm not talking pleasantly plump kind've fat..I'm talking the great escape of Shamu fat. Thank god for my handy shake weights and mini trampoline ;)

Shake weights are....quite an interesting concept, if you think about it hard enough.

Whatta workout
  • IronFiend
    IronFiend Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Because size is hot!
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    DON'T DO IT.

We need evidence of this. To make sure it never happens to us.

THE HORROR!

tumblr_mcxi61hTf21rrc78e.gif

Sorry, there's no way you could fit me in a single picture frame. You might get a closeup of my right arm, though
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Sorry. I did double check on Wikipedia re: Arnold, which focused on his body building career.

My understanding is that body builders do cut a lot more than weight lifters do. They care more about the look than just lifting massive amounts of weight. For example, this guy wouldn't make it at a body building competition: http://www.manassasbarbellclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/yevgeny-chigishev.jpg

Minor clarification or you: bodybuilding is a subset of weightlifting. Power lifting is also a subset of weightlifting.

You are saying weightlifters. You mean power lifters. I hope that clears up any confusion.

Oh. Exactly. Thanks so much for the clarification and sorry about being unclear!!!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    "People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they’re not on your road doesn’t mean they’ve gotten lost". — Dalai Lama
  • Darryl4126
    Darryl4126 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Because size is hot!
    See some people think size is hot
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

Oh. Exactly. Thanks so much for the clarification and sorry about being unclear!!!

Powerlifters have a lot of fat. Fat is strong. They don't know why, it just is. My silly uneducated theory is that it adds support and energy to the muscle. If they cut, they would not be able to lift as much. Ask any bodybuilder that cut. They couldn't lift as haeavy while cutting as they could while packing on muscle.

strength gains are reduced in a cut vs. a bulk phase